Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/27/2012 6:05:31 AM EDT

I work at a large hospital – not everyone leaves here above room temperature, fact of life.  So they have ways to get the deceased out of the place with minimal fuss.  Special entrance and hallways that stuff.

One  of the local undertakers must have a  new guy driving today.  He parks  the frigging hurst at the main patient drop off, then wheels the deceased in a bag on a gurney through the main lobby!  They’re supposed to put a blanket over the body but I guess this rocket scientist forgot that.

I’m guessing it might be the guys first and last day.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:14:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm sorry, but I think that's hilarious!
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:16:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yeah. Real hilarious for people in the waiting room wondering if their wife/mother/son is going to live or die.

ha fucking ha.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:16:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

it is sorta - but the fur is flying around here now

think the driver was an obamma voter?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:17:42 AM EDT
[#4]
How would a new guy know there was a special entrance
sounds like a simple mistake
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:18:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Great advertisement for the hospital....
Sounds like a Johnny Knoxville stunt.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:18:37 AM EDT
[#6]
"You know what could do wonders for your business here? A recovery room."
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:19:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe he is one of those "Truth in advertizing," type people.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:19:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I work at a large hospital – not everyone leaves here above room temperature, fact of life.  So they have ways to get the deceased out of the place with minimal fuss.  Special entrance and hallways that stuff.

One  of the local undertakers must have a  new guy driving today.  He parks  the frigging hurst at the main patient drop off, then wheels the deceased in a bag on a gurney through the main lobby!  They’re supposed to put a blanket over the body but I guess this rocket scientist forgot that.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:21:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

common sense? a little training by the funeral home?

he should have been stopped by about two levels of security and any number of staff

most of the funeral homes don't even use a hurst at the hospital anyome - plain dark blue vans
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:21:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I cant believe something like this could happen with out multiple people screwing up.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:21:32 AM EDT
[#11]
"hurst"
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:21:40 AM EDT
[#12]
You should have walked out in the waiting room and said Hey we just had a space open up.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:22:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That was someones father, brother, son.  I don't think it's funny.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:22:44 AM EDT
[#14]
No matter what the mistake is, first response will be "I wasn't trained"

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:23:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
"hurst"

one of those old caddy / station wagon looking rigs - most places just use a plain van - they don't even put the businss name on it
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:24:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Great advertisement for the hospital....
Sounds like a Johnny Knoxville stunt.

Except that johnny would have set it up that the gurney tipped over in the lobby and the guy wheeling it asking a passer-by to help him get the bag back on it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:24:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"hurst"

one of those old caddy / station wagon looking rigs - most places just use a plain van - they don't even put the businss name on it

Hearse
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:25:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

he should have been stopped by about two levels of security and any number of staff

most of the funeral homes don't even use a hurst at the hospital anyome - plain dark blue vans

I have never had any "funeral home training"... and that would have come into play for me.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:26:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:26:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"hurst"

I believe the word you're looking for is "hearse".

A hearse is a funerary vehicle used to carry a coffin from a church or funeral home to a cemetery. In the funeral trade, hearses are often called funeral coaches.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:28:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was someones father, brother, son.  I don't think it's funny.

He doesn't think someone dying is funny. He thinks someone screwing up that bad is gut-busting hilarious, as do I.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:28:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I guess it could have been worse - he could have parked down in the ED and rolled through there ...
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:30:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

A hearse is a funerary vehicle.  Hurst is company making (mostly) transmission shifters.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:32:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
"hurst"

hurst.jpg

Second and sixth google image search result for "hurst".

My hope for humanity is flagging.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:32:57 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

If the guy had any brains, he probably wouldn't have a job picking up bodies from the hospital.  My bet that he was either stupid or a young kid.  

Lots of fail to be shared.  Hospital staff should have stopped him.  Funeral home should have trained him.  

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:33:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I've seen that.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:34:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Lots of fail to be shared.  Hospital staff should have stopped him.  Funeral home should have trained him.  

This.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:34:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

...Just a sign of the times.
People don't think  and/or they rationalize that if it does not bother them it should not bother anyone else.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:36:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Laugh it off bubba.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:37:31 AM EDT
[#30]
The ICU I work in doesn't have a special hallway.  I wish it did.  They take the lesser used of the entrances but it's still used.  

But no one's ever forgotten the velvet drape before.  If someone did, I imagine that would be a big issue here.  Lots of suits would get all worked up.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:39:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

WTF.... he parked a muscle car out front?   Did you mean a HEARSE?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:39:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If the guy had any brains, he probably wouldn't have a job picking up bodies from the hospital. My bet that he was either stupid or a young kid.  

Haven't looked into what a good body removal/funeral home can make have you?    Some of them do quite well.  Agreed this guy probably isn't one of the brighter bulbs though.  

Stupid mistake, but it is kinda funny (in a gallows humor sort of way)- I laughed anyways.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:42:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

On the job training.....

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:43:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the people at the hospital should have instructed a new guy on what to do.
is that what you are saying ? if so i agree.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:45:58 AM EDT
[#37]
As a former FD.
Sounds like he was;
1.  Out of towner.
2.  Not schooled correctly.
3.  Mortuary Science Major and DGAF.  (these are numerous because of their crazy hours)
4.  Rastafarian.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:47:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Sounds more like failure to train the new guy. If he's never done the job before then direct the wrath at his boss. If he's done the job before and just got lazy then fire him.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:49:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the people at the hospital should have instructed a new guy on what to do.
is that what you are saying ? if so i agree.

I guess the paperwork part was just fine - according to co-workers here first tip off to the morgue should have been when he didn't drape -

I guess  'back in the day' security came with to get the body out to the vehicle but there is disagreement  on if they still do that now
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:52:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Laugh it off bubba.

No guys, it's NOT funny.

My grandma died three months ago on the 30th.  If it were my grandma they would have wheeled out in public, and my family found out about that, there would be hell to pay.

I have a family friend who is an undertaker-he actually did my grandma's service-we wouldn't trust anyone else.  I'll have to ask him about this.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:52:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"hurst"

think he meant "hearse".......
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:54:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe they quit using the Hurst's because they couldn't drive a Hearse?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:54:59 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"hurst"

think he meant "hearse".......

or "catsup"....

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:56:08 AM EDT
[#44]
I could use a good night job
driving for a funeral home.... yes
body removal.... no

fwiw we have a member who does or did this with his dad
his body removal stories were sometimes funny but not a job I would ever want to do

the guys who make good money and have job security are the hazmat guys that come in and clean up the bodily fluids soaked into the floors/carpet etc...

ETA: buddy owned a old hearse... his wife knew better and still talks about that "hurst" its annoying lol
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:58:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Unfortunate, very sorry to hear it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:02:30 AM EDT
[#46]
The hospital where I worked had a service elevator for taking bodies to the morgue.
The morgue was located on the second basement level.

The nuns would clear the wards of people if they were wheeling a body out.
At no time did bodies go out into "public" areas.

The loading dock for the bodies was located on the side of the hospital away from the main parking lot.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:03:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Laugh it off bubba.

No guys, it's NOT funny.

My grandma died three months ago on the 30th.  If it were my grandma they would have wheeled out in public, and my family found out about that, there would be hell to pay.

I have a family friend who is an undertaker-he actually did my grandma's service-we wouldn't trust anyone else.  I'll have to ask him about this.

The body was in a body bag dude.  It's not like it was a frozen stiff naked for all the world to see.  Even the OP said that SOP was a simple blanket over the body bag.

It sucks, but I happens.  No need to waste hospital admin's time complaining about it.

Laughing is better than death.   Try it.

Also, get used to it.  Obamacare will make hospitals look like the DMV.  You'll have dead people next to you in waiting rooms stacked up like cordwood
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:04:03 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I work at a large hospital – not everyone leaves here above room temperature, fact of life. So they have ways to get the deceased out of the place with minimal fuss. Special entrance and hallways that stuff.

One of the local undertakers must have a new guy driving today. He parks the frigging hurst at the main patient drop off, then wheels the deceased in a bag on a gurney through the main lobby! They’re supposed to put a blanket over the body but I guess this rocket scientist forgot that.

Did Doyle tell you to call a hurst?

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:05:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Why did the hospital staff allow him to do it?

Quoted:

Me too.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:06:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
"hurst"

OP says they don't use them anymore.  I guess they switched to B&M or Roush.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top