Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2016 1:18:12 PM EDT
Today we saw a lady delivering something in a rural area to a mailbox in a regular US made car...she had an amber light on the roof, so we figured she was a rural USPS driver of some kind. While traveling ahead of us the the roadway at  about 50 mph, she was occupying the passenger side of the car. Unless she had an extremely small midget operating the vehicle, we had to wonder how she was steering and using the foot pedals.

Question: Is there an aftermarket rig to allow one to drive a car using dual controls? My husband said driver's education vehicles had that capability at one time....
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I've seen jeeps converted to drive from the passenger side for mail delivery. I'm guessing they dont bother taking the driver side controls out. I doubt they are still active. I have however heard the same thing about drivers ed cars, although i think its just brakes.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Jeep wranglers can be bought right hand drive for mail use.  It is just the setup for other countries.

For vehicles that won't sell to usps carriers there are rigs to work pedals from passenger side and most people just reach over and use the factory steering wheel.

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I've seen lots of different kinds of vehicles, mostly Jeeps and Subarus, that were set up to be RHD for mail use. Not to mention the tons of import guys that convert to RHD because "JDM, yo".
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#4]
When I was learning to drive, it was just another brake pedal for the instructor.

USPS has right hand drive Jeeps and vans for door to door delivery. rhe Brits, Aussies, and Japanese all drive on the left side of the road, so their cars are all right hand drive.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#5]
right hand drive conversion kit.
postal things
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I've seen an old suburban that had a right hand drive kit on it. There where controls on both sides.

Some mail carriers around here have right hand drive jeeps.

Some of the mail carriers sit in the middle and use their left foot to drive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top