Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/27/2017 1:40:27 AM EDT
My son enlisted in the Marine Corps. He goes to boot camp in November. His birthday is coming up and he's wanting a watch.

Is there something anyone can recommend that's sort of stylish, but useful and durable for a guy going to boot?
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 1:43:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 1:45:01 AM EDT
G shock. For a lot more style and bombproof design, marathon TSAR.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 1:51:09 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By aperdue:

Just a fair warning, he wont be able to wear a watch in boot camp
View Quote
I wasn't sure on that either way, but eventually he will, right? And I want to get him something that will last his career. If it's a g-shock, that's what it is. I wear one everyday and I beat the hell out of it, but I'm no Marine.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 1:58:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:04:51 AM EDT
No watches in boot except for leaders
Suunto makes some great watches, include gps/ nav
Casio has a few
An Omega is pricy, but will last forever
5.11 has a couple nice watches too.

Depends on your budget
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:09:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By gsc0527:
No watches in boot except for leaders
Suunto makes some great watches, include gps/ nav
Casio has a few
An Omega is pricy, but will last forever
5.11 has a couple nice watches too.

Depends on your budget
View Quote
Let's say $500 +/-
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 1:54:48 PM EDT
Bought a G Shock at the Camp Lejeune PX, lasted me almost my entire career. Once I got out and started working overseas, I upgraded a bit to the Casio Pathfinder. Comes with everything, compass, thermometer, doohickies I never use, plus its solar and atomic updating so he never has to set the time, wind it, or change batteries. I love mine. he can also wear it in uniform AFTER he graduates boot camp. If you search, you can find a bad ass one for around $200. here is a link to some Pathfinders on Amazon.

Amazon Pathfinders
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 1:46:02 PM EDT
For $500, take a look at Traser.

Traser

I just bought a Seiko kinetic for $250. Extremely accurate, but the lume is probably not what you would want in the field.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 12:00:09 PM EDT
Gshock rangeman
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 1:12:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By schmud0811:
Gshock rangeman
View Quote
This is what I actually ended up getting him.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:39:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ragedracer1977:

I wasn't sure on that either way, but eventually he will, right? And I want to get him something that will last his career. If it's a g-shock, that's what it is. I wear one everyday and I beat the hell out of it, but I'm no Marine.
View Quote
The field is no place for a nice watch. Reliable, economical. Not fancy or expensive.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 3:53:55 PM EDT
I rotate between a few watches at work, but two that I really enjoy wearing are the Marathon TSAR and Tawatec E.O.Diver Mk II. They are comfortable with NATO straps and what I really like is the dials use Tritium and are easily read at any hour/lighting situation.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 2:19:33 PM EDT
I wore a 40$ timex for years. It worked well for telling time
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 3:31:59 PM EDT

View Quote
I've never had a G shock last more than about ten years; that one was a solar model that finally gave up the ghost
For the cost, they're still a good value.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 3:34:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Chairborne:
G shock. For a lot more style and bombproof design, marathon TSAR.
View Quote
This nailed it on both the practical and affordable domains. G-Shock is a geat go to.

My Marathon is what I wear everyday in uniform when not in the field.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 3:35:26 PM EDT

View Quote
If you want to make a gift out of a great watch that will last him his career and is durable, stylish, and memorable, its the Marathon TSAR.
Top Top