Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 4/8/2002 9:21:15 PM EDT
I got broadsided in my 2000 Trans Am 1 1/2 months ago. Just got the car back after $16,400 in repairs. It looks good and drives good but I just don't like the idea of driving around a car that has had that much damage done to it. I am also concerned about potential problems in trying to get rid of it at a later date. So I am thinking of trading it in and getting a 2002 collectors edition Trans Am. What do you think? Has anyone had any experience with seriously wrecked cars and the problems with getting rid of them even though they have been completely repaired?
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 9:27:23 PM EDT
Because of uni-body construction, you'll never really know how bad a warp there may be throughout the whole structure. For a putting-around car, that doesn't really matter. But for a car where you might want to take corners fast, a tire could be lifted off the road surface because of a warped frame, and you could lose control. Trade it in.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 1:02:43 AM EDT
Sell it on ebay. Does the car hold a "salvaged" title? If so, the dealer might not take it as a trade in.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 3:28:25 AM EDT
Its gona have a salvage title own it and if not its still against the law to sell it without total dis on it! So if it drives good just get real drunk and pretend you just bought it !you will save money and you will like it! Its like you didn't headspace your new ar/15 pulled the trigger and ka-bloom blew it up .. sent it to bushmaster they sent it back .you would never trust it ,so had to sell it the next guy who bought it with out knowing this and wins national match with the same gun! Its just in the knowing that scares you not in the performance am i correct? bob cole
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 5:17:25 AM EDT
"Dimunition of Value" is a monetary damage that the responsible party owes you for wrecking your vehicle. That is the loss of value to the car due to the extensive repairs. How was the insurance claim handled? Did you sign a release?
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 5:21:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bobbyjack: Its gona have a salvage title own it and if not its still against the law to sell it without total dis on it! So if it drives good just get real drunk and pretend you just bought it !you will save money and you will like it! Its like you didn't headspace your new ar/15 pulled the trigger and ka-bloom blew it up .. sent it to bushmaster they sent it back .you would never trust it ,so had to sell it the next guy who bought it with out knowing this and wins national match with the same gun! Its just in the knowing that scares you not in the performance am i correct? bob cole
View Quote
Dealers have to fully disclose accident damage. personal sales dont. its buyer beware.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 5:30:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bobbyjack: Its gona have a salvage title own it and if not its still against the law to sell it without total dis on it!
View Quote
This is [b]not[/b] true. The Salvage title, in Texas, is only applied when a vehicle is purchased by the insurance company as 'totaled.' Once the insurance company disposes of the vehicle, it may be reassigned the title as 'salvaged' and sold as is. Just because your car is wrecked does NOT mean it is 'Salvaged.' As for the total disclosure, this is also not true. Every time you purchase a car, you will sign a release saying the vehicle is purchased "As Is, No Warranty." This removes the 'Total Disclosure' requirement. Even as a private sale, you should have the purchaser sign a release. TheRedGoat PS. My father used to buy and sell 'Salvage Titled' vehicles from an insurance auction all the time. Salvage title are clearly stamped as such. Transfer fees, taxes, registration paperwork, etc. is required to transfer the status of your vehicle to 'Salvage.'
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:56:06 AM EDT
Unless you think because of it's discontinuation there will be a collector's increas in value, then why you would buy a vehicle when GMC is dropping the entire Pontiac line. For driving and future parts support I would rather buy a current/future production vehicle than be stuck with an Edsel and no parts.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:01:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/9/2002 11:02:26 AM EDT by LotBoy]
Use it as a Target! [img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/new/wrx.gif[/img][50]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:07:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/9/2002 11:09:26 AM EDT by Dukota]
"Dimunition of Value" is a monetary damage that the responsible party owes you for wrecking your vehicle. That is the loss of value to the car due to the extensive repairs. How was the insurance claim handled? Did you sign a release?
View Quote
I have heard of "diminuation of value" and have enlisted the help of my attorney on this. In addition to the vehicle damage I also suffered 2 bulging discs in my neck which he is working on getting compensation for, therefore I have not signed a release.
Does the car hold a "salvaged" title? If so, the dealer might not take it as a trade in.
View Quote
No, there is no salvage title as the car was not totaled. Insurance adjuster said the damage had to be greater than 75% of the current value, which is about $23,000, that would make the totaled amount to be about $17,000. My damages ONLY totaled up to $16,4000.
Unless you think because of it's discontinuation there will be a collector's increas in value, then why you would buy a vehicle when GMC is dropping the entire Pontiac line. For driving and future parts support I would rather buy a current/future production vehicle than be stuck with an Edsel and no parts.
View Quote
Mainly because I like the power it has. With a few mods my TA does 0-60 in 5sec, has a top speed of 160. Not too many cars boast this sort of power unless you want to get way up there in the price range. I would love to buy a new corvette but with a wife and 3 kids it's not AT ALL practical. Not that my TA is practical but at least I can take a few people with me.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:10:24 AM EDT
Use it as a Target!
View Quote
WOW, that would make one very expensive target.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:14:54 AM EDT
Sell it and get an older T/A with a 455SD; a REAL Pontiac!
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:21:03 AM EDT
Sell it and get an older T/A with a 455SD; a REAL Pontiac!
View Quote
I've thought of that as well. I am currently working on a '76 Landcruiser with my sons. Installed a 350 crate engine, 5spd chevy tranny, new transfer case, 4" lift, 33 in BFG's, full roll cage, winch, locker rear, limited slip front, power steering and a few other cosmetic goodies. That is what my son will drive later this year when he turns 16. When it is done, I will be looking for a new project vehicle and I was thinking of an older TA.
Top Top