Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/3/2005 9:08:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/3/2005 9:15:49 AM EDT by Shane333]
A glitch in brain chemistry

Hallucinations, voices characterize a young man's struggle with schizoaffective disorder

By Therese Grinceri
Special to the Deseret Morning News
This story is based on a series of interviews conducted with the subject and his parents.
On a clear, autumn day during his senior year of high school, my brother, Clint, was seated in his English class working on an assignment when he heard a voice telling him he needed to kill a classmate.

John Clark, Deseret Morning News He sat upright in his chair, not sure who was speaking to him. The voice spoke to him again.
He needed to kill a classmate.
Clint asked his teacher if he could be excused from class. He felt frightened. He needed space to think about what he was hearing, about what he was being asked to do.
He walked down the hall and opened the door to the boys bathroom. He could hear the voice as though it came from a man standing next to him in the bathroom, shouting in his ear. The voice grew louder and more intense. The words bounced sharply off the brown tiles on the floor and the walls, encasing him in a chamber of taunts and commands he had no desire to fulfill.
When Clint failed to return to the classroom, his teacher went looking for him. He wasn't hard to find. She could hear him yelling. When she pushed open the door to the bathroom, she found Clint in the corner, seated on the tile floor, huddled against the wall, screaming, "I won't do it! I won't do it!"

When Clint was discovered by his teacher, my parents and I learned for the first time that Clint was hearing voices. But for Clint, this was not the first time.
A few years ago, I went to an appointment at the hospital in Perth, Western Australia, where I was to deliver my first baby. When the midwife asked me if there were any hereditary conditions in my family's health history, I told her about my brother.
"He was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder and severe depression with psychotic features about six years ago," I said.
She wrote this down on a piece of paper in my file.
"It may be hereditary. He takes medication for it, though."
"Where is he now?" she asked, still jotting notes.
"He lives at home with my parents and attends university," I said.
At this, her pen stopped, and she looked up at me. "He's going to university? He's not institutionalized?" she asked.
In May, my brother graduated from a university in Utah with a bachelor's degree.
Clint shouldn't have graduated. In fact, he probably shouldn't be alive. According to Rethink, a mental illness charity in the United Kingdom, 30-40 percent of those who suffer from schizoaffective disorder will attempt suicide during their lifetime, and 10 percent will succeed.
Clint has experienced auditory and visual hallucinations for as long as he can remember. He is not sure when they began, but he knows that he was experiencing hallucinations when he was 13 because during that year he wrote about them in his journal.
Clint remembers that at first, the images he saw and the voices he heard were playful and friendly. Out of the chorus of hallucinations, a few male figures featured prominently among the others.
But as time wore on, the figures turned dark, violent and demeaning. Clint wondered where the hallucinations were coming from. He tried as hard as he could to block them out.
But they wouldn't go away. Clint couldn't get them out of his head. He blamed himself. He could see that no one else was hearing what he was hearing or seeing what he was seeing, so he deduced that because his thoughts were bad, then he was bad. Clint believed he experienced hallucinations because he was a sinner. He thought the hallucinations were sent to him by the devil to tempt him.
As Clint grew into adolescence, the images and voices became increasingly violent and intense. They would challenge him to harm himself.
One day when Clint was 16 and alone in the house, one of the male figures dared him to stick the barrel of a shotgun under his chin. Clint resisted, but the hallucination wouldn't let up. It yelled at him over and over again, telling him it had to be done.
At the time, our dad kept an unloaded shotgun in a corner of his closet next to his tennis rackets. The last time he used it was before Clint was born when he went skeet shooting
Clint took the gun from the closet. He sat at the foot of our parents' bed. He was crying. He wanted the voices to stop. He put the butt of the gun on the ground between his feet and leaned over so that his chin rested on the barrel. He pulled the trigger.
Then he lay on the bed and began to cry. He thought he was losing his mind. Schizoaffective disorder is a combination of the symptoms of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. It is a chronic disease of the mind, manifesting itself in visual and auditory hallucinations and severe mania and/or depression....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After reading about what this person experienced, I consider myself so blessed to have a sound mind. I know people, close friends and family, who've suffered from clinical depression. This goes way beyond normal clinical depression. Downright scary.

Edited for link to entire article:

deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,615154359,00.html
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:10:51 AM EDT
So did he blow his brains out or not?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:13:40 AM EDT
Sounds like a bullshit disorder for a numbnuts that wants attention from all the stories he tells and having people look at him in public when he screams at himself. If he was serious the shotgun would have been loaded.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:13:48 AM EDT
Through medication the man, Clint, has led a semi-normal lifestyle. In fact, he recently graduated from a University. Apparently he still hears voices and the meds only work for about 6 months at a time before he has to be given a new regiment to control the hallucinations.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:14:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By afman91201:
Sounds like a bullshit disorder for a numbnuts that wants attention from all the stories he tells and having people look at him in public when he screams at himself. If he was serious the shotgun would have been loaded.

I got the impression that the kid (he was 16 at the time of the shotgun incident) had no idea if the gun was loaded at the time he pulled the trigger.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:17:39 AM EDT

Its is possible that this may take stupid post of the day.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:26:21 AM EDT

WTF!? I think you are looking for attention with this stupidass post....
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:26:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By m-dc:

Its is possible that this may take stupid post of thedaydecade.

You can thank me later.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:31:27 AM EDT

If the quoted post truly reflects your opinion, you sir are an idiot.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:35:05 AM EDT
I work at a mental health hospital. It is certainly NOT a bullshit disorder.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:35:47 AM EDT
Sorry but attention whores are out there. My post isn't suppossed to be a flashy attention whore post.

You guys are the one critical of the people that suck off the government tit because they claim they're disabled due to depression. I just think a lot of these cases are full of shit.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:40:05 AM EDT
wtf?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:41:31 AM EDT

You are quite possibly one of the stupidest people I've ever seen. You and FOX- should have dueling IQ tests and see who ends up lower.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:46:43 AM EDT
I guess I am just a little insensitive because I have a brother in law with a bipolar disorder or some shit. There is nothing wrong with him. He just gets pissy from time to time when he doesn't get what he wants. If you tell him straight out to quit being a bitch he straightens right up without his medication. He is an attention whore.

He also had no daddy to whip his ass when he was a kid.

Sorry this kid may be legit but there are just people that are full of shit out there. If you think I am a moron for not kissing all of their ass then that's your call.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:47:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By KC-130 FLT ENG:

If the quoted post truly reflects your opinion, you sir are an idiot.

+1.

It isn't as if he was diagnosed with ADHD or some other bullshit disorder like that.

He truely believes he hears voices, and that can/has been proven.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:49:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/3/2005 9:50:42 AM EDT by Shane333]
An uncle of mine suffered from bi-polar disorder. One of the most soft-hearted people you'd ever meet. Then he made the mistake of going off his meds. This started a downward spiral that eventually led to his death...on the same weekend his daughter was married. Probably attempting to regain control again, he overdosed on his depression meds.

Now, imagine combining this kind of bi-polar depression with schizophrenia!!

Edited to add:

afman91201,
My uncle had a very heavy handed father. Your personal experience in no way reflects the reality of most sufferers of bi-polar disorder.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:40:05 AM EDT

I guess I am just a little insensitive because I have a brother in law with a bipolar disorder or some shit. There is nothing wrong with him. He just gets pissy from time to time when he doesn't get what he wants. If you tell him straight out to quit being a bitch he straightens right up without his medication. He is an attention whore.

He also had no daddy to whip his ass when he was a kid.

Sorry this kid may be legit but there are just people that are full of shit out there. If you think I am a moron for not kissing all of their ass then that's your call.

He sounds more like a brat who some school doctor miss-diagnosed as Bipolar.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:42:44 AM EDT
Saw the title, and the first word in my head was liberalism.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:48:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By roboman:

You are quite possibly one of the stupidest people I've ever seen. You and FOX- should have dueling IQ tests and see who ends up lower.

You can't have a duel if both opponents are unarmed. Then it's just two idiots slapping each other and whining incoherently.

After watching Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, I've gotten more curious about alien hand syndrome: is it a mental illness, or physical disorder that causes the limb to act on its own? I know it's caused by brain damage affecting communication between the two lobes, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:54:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/3/2005 11:01:11 AM EDT by JIMBEAM]

Actually it isn't bullshit. My brother had a simialr diagnoses but he didn't fuck around with an unloaded gun. He used his loaded work gun to shoot himself in the temple.

Here are some link for you:

http://www.reintegration.com/ami/schizoaffective/
Schizoaffective disorder is a confusing, and often frightening mental illness. For the person suffering from the disease, as well as those close to them, the experience of schizoaffective disorder can be a chronic roller-coaster ride of symptoms and problems.

The disease may actually be more challenging to live with than either of its root diseases, schizophrenia or affective disorders -- which include bipolar disorder.

Although a diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder is quite rare - just 5% of serious mental illness diagnosis -- some researchers believe that the disorder is more widespread and that many people are given a diagnosis of schizophrenia or bipolar disorder when schizoaffective disorder would be the most accurate diagnosis. All of which make schizoaffective disorder one of the most confusing and controversial diagnostic categories in psychiatry.

Like schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, the onset of schizoaffective disorder usually takes place in early adulthood. Women seem to suffer from the illness more often than men, but research on the disorder is scarce

http://www.spcsb.org/articles/schizoaffective.html
Schizoaffective Disorder is an often debilitating mental illness characterized by symptoms of a thought disorder (hallucinations and/or irrational thinking) and a mood disorder (depression or manic activity). This illness may present a variety of symptoms from each category, and symptoms may be mild or severe. For some general thoughts on dealing with a loved one's diagnosis of a mental illness such as schizoaffective disorder, please see our "Mental Illness - Information for Families" page. Schizoaffective Disorder may be difficult to treat, as the symptoms of the thought disorder are typically treated with different medications than the symptoms of depression or mania. Arriving at the proper balance of medication is often complex and may take time. This can be frustrating to the mentally ill person, as well as to the family and friends. If you have questions, feel free to talk to your psychiatrist about the medication regimen that is being used, and ask questions about how and why medications are being prescribed. In terms of treatment approaches, research to date suggests that the most effective treatment for schizoaffective disorder is a continuum of care model, which has a focus on Social Rehabilitation. The Social Rehabilitation Model is aimed at assisting the diagnosed client with learning the skills necessary to live an independent life style. This includes medication management, independent living skills, socialization and vocational and a variety of other support systems. Research suggests that a person recently diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder can best be treated and success achieved if allowed to participate in an environment in which counseling support and vocational services are offered on a 24-hour basis. It has been found to be most effective for people not to be hospitalized for too long but rather to move into a residential setting such as mentioned above. After this, we find moving into less and less restricted programs to be effective, whereby the diagnosed person eventually gets their own apartment or living arrangements and perhaps attends an outpatient program to assist with continued living skills. Take heart. Many new and profound advances have been made in the past few decades in the treatment of schizoaffective disorder . New psychotropic medications are available, and they are more effective and have fewer side effects than previously available medications. Although far from a simple illness to treat, the prognosis for a person with schizoaffective disorder is better than it has ever been. If your family member is out of control or suicidal (danger of harm to self or others), stay calm and call 911. Do not try to handle it alone.

Know WTF you are talking about before you open your mouth.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:04:13 PM EDT
Having seen a friend and his family go through the devastating effects of this disease I personally think it is the most humbling and least understood illness in America today. We kneed our hands endlessly about this and that unfortunate person while these innocent, true victims suffer in confused silence. They are the most needy people in our country.

I sincerely doubt there is a man here who could watch an intelligent young adult suffer through this Hell on earth and not be deeply moved. And I doubt they would ever even joke about it for the rest of their lives.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:36:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Reaper:

It isn't as if he was diagnosed with ADHD or some other bullshit disorder like that.

ADHD is not a bullshit disorder, either. Way overdiagnosed, ( say 700 % ? ), yes.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:46:48 PM EDT

Hey guys, you're wasting your time. A post like this is a closed mind, and reason nor insults will penetrate the density of this one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:06:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By m-dc:

Its is possible that this may take stupid post of the day.

+1
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:20:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/3/2005 3:22:16 PM EDT by DaveS]

Originally Posted By KC-130 FLT ENG:

If the quoted post truly reflects your opinion, you sir are an idiot fucktard.

afman91201, this is not a personal attack or against the CoC.............. because there is no blood.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:43:40 PM EDT
Many people think if they don't understand something it simply doesn't exist. Mental illness is not a visible (normally) wound or disease so to those who don't experience it no real understanding is possible.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:46:48 PM EDT
Hey look everybody!!!! I am a big, dumb, gay ass whore!!!! Thank You!!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:57:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By prk:

ADHD is not a bullshit disorder, either. Way overdiagnosed, ( say 700 % ? ), yes.

ADHD isn't anything a swift kick in the ass can't fix.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:05:32 PM EDT

I was going to post something, but you just summed up yourself nicely!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:16:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Swindle1984:

Originally Posted By prk:

ADHD isn't anything a swift kick in the ass can't fix.

This & the post just above, somehow made me realize that some people may think that the "attention" in "Attention Deficit Disorder", means having people pay attention to you. Not so.

More like not being able to pay attention for very long.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:28:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Balming:

I was going to post something, but you just summed up yourself nicely!

I figured, hell, everybody is having a good time on this thread telling me I'm a piece of shit for not believing 100% of these disorder people are really messed up in the head. Why let it end?

Whooo I am a D I R T B A G!!!!! Lay it on thick boys!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:37:34 PM EDT
I have a lifelong friend with schizophrenia, it's very real.

Those who survive it and learn to function do so by essentially learning to ignore the voices.

Split personality disorder is maybe a fraud, there's little good evidence for it, it's likely misdiagnosed SAD.

The voices come from within the persons own mind, my friend has told me he's learned which voices he can listen to, and he said he actually killed one off through an exercise of will.

I still don't entirely trust this guy, but he's been a good friend to me for decades now.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:40:49 PM EDT
My mother suffered from schizophrenia her entire adult life. She spent much of her time institutionalized. While there are slackers and whiners out there, there are also people with real mental health problems and it's no joke. My mom's life was a protracted living nightmare with precious few respites. The few times I saw her as a child I was terrified of her.

I can't even imagine adding bipolar on top of schizophrenia. No one deserves a living Hell like that.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:45:23 PM EDT
Sometimes I have dreams that I am dreaming and I'm trying to figure out if I'm dreaming or if I'm awake. However, I don't hear any voices, ulness I'm dreaming.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:47:58 PM EDT

I figured, hell, everybody is having a good time on this thread telling me I'm a piece of shit for not believing 100% of these disorder people are really messed up in the head. Why let it end?

Whooo I am a D I R T B A G!!!!! Lay it on thick boys!!

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:10:31 PM EDT
Some of the most interesting and educational times I've spent in medicine were on a locked psychiatry ward at a VA hospital.

One floridly psychotic schizophrenic with AIDS had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic and we rushed him out to the medical floor. He was tall and had a muscular build and a full beard. His hands started to balloon and a bright red rash was enveloping his entire body. He made for quite a sight.

I was cutting off his wedding ring when he started to describe the wall behind me and how a dark black fungus was pooring out of it. I turned around only to see a snow-white wall. I wish I could remember the exact words he used because it was by far the most colorful and vivid use of the English I have ever heard or read.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:15:19 PM EDT

Dollars to doughnuts this guy is either a teenager or lives his lifestyle like he still is one.
Top Top