Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 6/30/2002 8:29:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/30/2002 8:33:59 PM EST by DoubleFeed]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 8:31:48 PM EST
The British have guns? hmmm [:D]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 8:37:00 PM EST
It is against the law in England to defend yourself or property with a firearm or anything else for that matter. Believe it or not... you have no right to self-defense in the UK.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:00:06 PM EST
Sad but true. Tony Martin was a farmer who had retained (illegaly in Britain) a shotgun. One night these two broke into his house for no good reason....and the obvious happened. Unfortunantely, Tony managed to shoot the dead guy in the back, so that wasn't a good point in his defense. [:(] His incident set of a mess about self-defense in the isles. Apparently Lord Cadbury (yep, the chocolate guy) keeps a loaded crossbow by his bedside. Hopefully some judge will laugh this loser (Brendan Fearon) out of court, though.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:02:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/30/2002 9:03:02 PM EST by DoubleFeed]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:08:53 PM EST
In 1985 my friend's parents were sued by a burglar who broke his leg falling into a backyard trench dug for a new sprinkler system while he was carrying off their 25" TV. The claim was that they hadn't properly secured the trench as a potential hazard. The verdict came up in favor of the burglar.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:13:34 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:29:26 PM EST
Originally Posted By talbalos: In 1985 my friend's parents were sued by a burglar who broke his leg falling into a backyard trench dug for a new sprinkler system while he was carrying off their 25" TV. The claim was that they hadn't properly secured the trench as a potential hazard. The verdict came up in favor of the burglar.
View Quote
Yep, doesn't surprise me. Even in Texas lawsuits like that happen. That's why if you ever have to shoot anyone, the first thing you have your lawyer do is sue the jackass or his family immediately because either he or his family will slap a lawsuit on you before you know it. Better to preemptively strike and have extra leverage to negotiate a civil settlement. Of course, all of that takes money. Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:35:34 PM EST
Do you think the forensics people could determine whether a fatal gunshot wound happened just before or just after the deceased fell into the trench?
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:52:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By DoubleFeed:
Originally Posted By talbalos: In 1985 my friend's parents were sued by a burglar who broke his leg falling into a backyard trench dug for a new sprinkler system while he was carrying off their 25" TV. The claim was that they hadn't properly secured the trench as a potential hazard. The verdict came up in favor of the burglar.
View Quote
Let me guess. The slimeball lawyer argued it was a danger to kids, or some crap.
View Quote
Exactly. Even though there were no kids on the block (Older neighborhood--all the kids growed up and moved out)
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:59:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By MadMatt: Do you think the forensics people could determine whether a fatal gunshot wound happened just before or just after the deceased fell into the trench?
View Quote
As far as I can tell, California law requires that you can only shoot in self defense if the bad guy is in your house, someone else has been killed and you are bleeding from a fatal wound. And if he's not carrying a firearm, he must have been an upright citizen[}:D]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 10:01:48 PM EST
View Quote
Come on!
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 10:16:37 PM EST
Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER:
View Quote
True story. Come on!
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 10:29:17 PM EST
In Canada, if there is a murderer in your house, you can't shoot him unless he is carrying a gun, or else you go to jail for excessive force. Sucks don't it? Not to mention you have to unlock your gun, then unlock your ammo, load your gun, then shoot the guy. Time consuming you say? You'll have plenty of time while he is busy killing and raping your 12yr old daughter.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 10:30:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By talbalos:
Originally Posted By MadMatt: Do you think the forensics people could determine whether a fatal gunshot wound happened just before or just after the deceased fell into the trench?
View Quote
As far as I can tell, California law requires that you can only shoot in self defense if the bad guy is in your house, someone else has been killed and you are bleeding from a fatal wound. And if he's not carrying a firearm, he must have been an upright citizen[}:D]
View Quote
"Well, officer, I was out in the backyard working on my sprinkler system...in the dark...wearing a sidearm...and this lunatic comes running out of my house. He threatend to bash me over the head with my TV set. I'm sorry it happened, but I had no choice..."
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:57:42 AM EST
Well at least in Colorado we have the "make my day" law and you can defend yourself and your property with common sense.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 12:18:42 PM EST
That's nucking futs. -legrue
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 12:20:31 PM EST
Originally Posted By Max_Mike: It is against the law in England to defend yourself or property with a firearm or anything else for that matter. Believe it or not... you have no right to self-defense in the UK.
View Quote
That's the most suprising thing about UK laws. Even in the most anti-gun states around, you can still shoot in self-defense and not be convicted of Murder, even if carrying or having a gun was illegal. Umm, right?
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 1:29:27 PM EST
View Quote
That's messed-up.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 1:30:18 PM EST
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 1:48:12 PM EST
Criminals crack me up, damn near every home in the USA has a firearm, why would a burgular even take a chance there wouldn't be. I know this specific incident happened in the UK but how stupid are they, If someone broke into my home they would be considered armed. It would be better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 3:35:57 PM EST
3 words shoot shovel shutup
Top Top