Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/15/2006 12:40:43 PM EDT
CNN reports there is and will be a severe shortage of good field agents. They are on a campaign to staff up.

Does this sound like something you would be interested in?

-Bill
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:46:26 PM EDT
Do I get a gun with a happy switch and do I get to keep it after I retire?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:47:21 PM EDT
Defiantely
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:48:32 PM EDT
I would - It would probably get me in shape, it would be intriguing....
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:48:38 PM EDT
I'd be interested but I dont have a 4 year degree just yet and I dont speak any languages other than english and army
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:48:58 PM EDT
I'd take a pay cut and be a agent if i could kick some ass and not be a pencil pusher.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:49:28 PM EDT
No.

I'd be dead in a week. I don't speak any forgien languages, I don't have any investigative or intelligence experience and I don't have any familiarity with forgien cultures. I'd stick out like a sore thumb and the terrorists would off me before I even got my orders.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:50:30 PM EDT
Hell yes, I want to shoot at muslim heathen scum with radio controlled airplanes.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:50:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2006 12:52:53 PM EDT by staraero]
Drat foiled again gotta promise to not bump off the higher up's
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:51:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2006 12:53:24 PM EDT by WMW]
www.cia.gov/employment/cardir.html

Here you go. Their career page.

You can fill out the survey and it will analyze your work habits and personality.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:51:31 PM EDT
Nope. As a CIA agent, you're expected to not promote revolution against the government.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:52:32 PM EDT
CIA recruited at my school last year, and offered a job to a buddy of mine. Personally, I would work for them as an engineer. I have no desire to be a field officer. If I am at war, I want to be able to wear a uniform. I think Patton said it best, "a soldier's duty is to wear his uniform and kill the enemy."
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:52:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By motown_steve:
No.

I'd be dead in a week. I don't speak any forgien languages, I don't have any investigative or intelligence experience and I don't have any familiarity with forgien cultures. I'd stick out like a sore thumb and the terrorists would off me before I even got my orders.

...same boat.....
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:54:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By motown_steve:
No.

I don't think they'd be dumb enough to send you out to the field, then. And if they do, then somebody doesn't like you.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:55:54 PM EDT
I just checked their salary page -
for a non-field agent doing electronic design they are willing to pay $50-78k - in Washington DC

Well, I make more than that in Texas and cost of living is about 20-30% because TX does not have state income tax, etc.

I guess they are not really hard pressed for people....

now field agents on the other hand, salary is lower, but seems kind of fun....
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:56:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2006 12:56:48 PM EDT by Spade]
I'd do it, if it was something really cool.

Hey, if it sucks you quit and go be a contractor. Which is why they're having the shortage in the first place.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:56:29 PM EDT
do i get a "00" rating?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:57:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zippy_The_Wonderdog:
do i get a "00" rating?

Wrong country.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:58:14 PM EDT
Oh, great. I just scored Excellent for Clandestine Service according to their online poll. Dammit.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:59:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2006 12:59:38 PM EDT by WMW]
Operational Targeting Officer

Work Schedule: Full Time
Salary: $42,906-78,000

The Targeting Officer is primarily based in the Washington, DC area with opportunities for tours and short assignments overseas. In today's fast-paced and technologically savvy world, targeting is critical to the success of the Directorate of Operations' (DO) global mission. Officers in this career track will directly support, drive, and/or manage complex worldwide DO operations to develop actionable intelligence against the highest priority threats to U.S. national security, which are increasingly transnational in origin. Targeting officers will develop specialized skills to identify analyze, and facilitate the penetration and disruption of international organizations and networks posing such threats. In addition, these officers will develop a substantive expertise in one or several of the DO's functional missions - terrorism, proliferation, narcotics, and/or counterintelligence - as well as regional expertise. Effective SSO-Ts are inquisitive, analytical, detail and action-oriented, capable of mining vast amounts of data for new leads, and good communicators (both oral and written). Officers selected into this occupation will be trained and certified in the SSO-T career track and afforded opportunities to work in overseas operating environments.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minimum requirements include a college degree and an excellent academic record (GPA 3.0 or higher). Candidates must also possess strong interpersonal and communications skills, and the ability to write and brief clearly and accurately. As with all DO professional careers, the job responsibilities require absolute personal and professional integrity.

All applicants must successfully complete a thorough medical and psychological exam, a polygraph interview and an extensive background investigation. US citizenship is required.

To be considered suitable for Agency employment, applicants must generally not have used illegal drugs within the last twelve months. The issue of illegal drug use prior to twelve months ago is carefully evaluated during the medical and security processing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:01:36 PM EDT
Only if I can use torture to gain intel from terrorists...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:02:13 PM EDT
Operations Officer -- Specialized Skills Officer

Salary: $55,000 - $78,000

The Clandestine Service is looking for U.S. citizen candidates to fill Specialized Skills Officer positions. Specialized Skills Officers can expect to focus on intelligence operations for U.S. policymakers in hazardous and austere overseas environments.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minimum requirements include a bachelor's degree and military special operations or combat arms experience (ground, air, or maritime). Previous foreign travel, combat service, and foreign language proficiency is highly valued. The 35-year maximum age requirement could be waived on a case-by-case basis.

All applicants must successfully complete a thorough medical and psychological exam, a polygraph interview and an extensive background investigation. US citizenship is required.

To be considered suitable for Agency employment, applicants must generally not have used illegal drugs within the last twelve months. The issue of illegal drug use prior to twelve months ago is carefully evaluated during the medical and security processing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:04:59 PM EDT
Absolutely.

HH
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:06:12 PM EDT
is $78k their magic high-figure?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:07:52 PM EDT

Operational Targeting Officer

Salary: $42,906-78,000

Operations Officer -- Specialized Skills Officer

Salary: $55,000 - $78,000

Hell Yes.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:08:10 PM EDT
If I can be Jack Bauer, sure.

What's with the multiple questions involving Native American-language speakers? Filling EEO quotas, or do they possess a better ability to learn foriegn languages than the rest of us?

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:08:29 PM EDT
Perks of being a CIA employee:

1) Connections up the wazoo

2) Intel up the wazoo

3) Able to carry a gun anytime, anywhere in the US regardless of local laws (?)

4) The ability to totally scare any dude who tries to F*** with you
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:08:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:09:28 PM EDT
Why not
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:10:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Taxman:
Why not

I can think of several reasons, one being, do you ever really leave the CIA?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:12:10 PM EDT
Hell, yes.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:13:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WMW:

Originally Posted By Taxman:
Why not

I can think of several reasons, one being, do you ever really leave the CIA?

Cant be that bad.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:14:43 PM EDT
The Number One Reason to be in the CIA:

Serve your country and kick some terrorist ass!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:16:34 PM EDT
i'd love to. if i was ever offered the chance.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:19:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2006 1:23:33 PM EDT by TRW]
I'd love to work for them. I'm ex-military, smart, have a BS degree, patriotic, still have a secret clearance; but I am too old. Last I checked, the age limit was 37. I'm 46. Plus, the pay is not that attractive and it's as expensive as hell to live in the DC area.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:21:11 PM EDT
I certainly would. What's interesting to me is the fact that a close friend interviewed with either CIA or FBI about twenty five years ago, and was turned down. He was born in the Middle East, was an American citizen, had just completed a Master's program in Middle Eastern Studies, spoke Arabic, and his father was occasionally called on by the FBI for Arabic translation in his own hometown. What possible good could he have done for our country in the years following 1980?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:24:44 PM EDT
No not really, It's probably overall pretty boring and not at all like in the movies.
Other than that they sure ask for very well qualified people that can make much more in the private sector.
My dad got an offer in the 60's after uni, but he could make more than three times that elsewhere.
The kind of guys that are willing to take a pay-cut and risk their life for their country or the paper-work are usually not qualified I guess.
Other than that, I'm under the impression that the CIA on a global scale is second-rate compared to the Russians and Brits/French.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:26:02 PM EDT

Perks of being a CIA employee:

1) Connections up the wazoo

2) Intel up the wazoo

3) Able to carry a gun anytime, anywhere in the US regardless of local laws (?)

4) The ability to totally scare any dude who tries to F*** with you

Chances are that you will not be carrying a gun--especially if you are sitting at a desk. 50K doesn't go far in the DC Metro area.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:27:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2006 1:28:40 PM EDT by TomJefferson]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:44:46 PM EDT
Took the online career quiz: Results as follows:

Scientists, Engineers and Technologists in which you rated: Excellent Match

Professional Positions in which you rated: Possible Match

didnt say I was a match for steelie eyed killer
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:58:38 PM EDT
Yep.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:27:01 PM EDT
Had an offer several years back, we just could not come to a money agreement. The offfer was for the Uniform Protection Service ( the unformed Police on their installations). The starting juob would have been in the D.C. area and the benifits were very good. It was the monthly salary vs cost of living that kept me out.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:27:18 PM EDT
Yes, I would and I tried my best to get a job with them.

As a Junior in college I went to an engineering confrence where they were recruiting. While I was there I had two formal interviews and one reception event they had for possible candidates.

I have a Bachelors of Science in Electronics Engineering Technology, the position I was applying for was the Technical Operations Officer. They told me about the pipeline, the position, how the CIA opens up it's training on the Operations side for the Technical Operations folks. They start the TechOO in electronic CI detecting bugs and such. He said I would spend a year after training working in the US.

The first interview was a real quick 15 min check of my resume and some quick questions about my intrests. The second was about an hour and 15 min and we went over the resume in detail and got asked a lot of questions. Thw 15 min one was with HR the hour was with a Technical Operations guy. I got to ask questions about the job and he asked a lot about me.

The reception for all of the possibles was nice, they had all sorts of hordervours, drinks, and other foods. There were folks floating around just casually talking, they were CIA folks that were awnsering questions and making observations. I think the whole deal was more about observation.

I signed a bunch of forms for a background check and medical history review. I also disclosed a problem that I have with my vision. The problem is a viral infection so they said they couldn't clear me to work overseas.

The TechOO guy that I interviewed with looked like a complete nerd, he started with the CIA when he was right out of college. No previous millitary experience. He had worked for them for 30 years. He was a Cold Warrior , partcipated in over seas counter drug operations and worked on the war on terror. If you passed him in the street you would never notice him.

Oh and they can and will teach you a forigen language, they would like previous experience but if you have other skills they need they can teach you the rest.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:42:59 PM EDT
Interesting point that was made above. Russia probably does get the cream of the crop in their service as it pays much more than the average person can make anywhere else. Compared to here where people would have to take a pay cut to join our organization. Just an interesting observation.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:44:12 PM EDT
Hell yea, I'd try it
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:53:38 PM EDT
I would not make a good field agent as I can't lie worth crap. I am more of a "door-kicker" type.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:55:15 PM EDT
"Computer and Network Engineer

Salary: $44,500 - 135,000

Network Engineers are responsible for designing and deploying a secure, global communications infrastructure that allows CIA officers to communicate and collaborate with each other and with partners throughout the Intelligence Community and federal government. Our network and application platforms leverage the best of industry and internally developed solutions to create an engineering environment that is both technically challenging and innovative. Opportunities for domestic and overseas travel."

hmm.....not bad, but not all that great. Seems to be the going rate.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:58:43 PM EDT

CNN reports there is and will be a severe shortage of good field agents. They are on a campaign to staff up.

Does this sound like something you would be interested in?

-Bill

yes
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:08:21 PM EDT
Not if I have to live in the DC area.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:10:33 PM EDT
Clandestine Service

More than just a job, the CIA offers a unique career — a way of life that will challenge your deepest resources of intelligence, self-reliance and responsibility. It demands an adventurous spirit, a forceful personality, superior intellectual ability and mental toughness, as well as personal integrity, courage and love of our country. You will be challenged by fast-moving, ambiguous and unstructured situations — and rewarded with the knowledge that your work is making a difference on a national level. The Directorate of Operations regularly conducts interviews nationwide. Please submit your resume to our online resume builder if you would like to be considered for an interview the next time we are in your area.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:18:36 PM EDT
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top