Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/9/2005 7:29:33 AM EDT
The house across the street from me is for sale.

This is the house that my old friend Bill shot himslef in the backyard and now the wife is selling it and moving to Texas with family.

So, whould you tell the new neighbors what happened if they didn't know?

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:42:48 AM EDT
Oh hell! I thought you wanted to know if you should tell them that you play with dolls!

Seriously,I'd tell them.Unless wife/daughters were HOT!
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:43:25 AM EDT
Yes, tell them. Then on moonlit nights you could wander around their backyard making moaning sounds and scare the shit out of them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:43:53 AM EDT
I'd have to say no. At least, not until they bought it. Bring it up nonchalantly over a beer sometime, it'll be sure to freak them out.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:44:16 AM EDT
Wouldnt matter to me if someone told me or now
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:44:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/9/2005 7:44:37 AM EDT by 0612Devil]
Hell yes tell 'em! We don't want blaming you for not warning them if some amityville horror shit goes down...
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:44:43 AM EDT
I would after he bought the house. That way you can have fun on Halloween.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:44:45 AM EDT
They MIGHT already know, unless of course the realtor was a schmuck and didn't tell them. I wouldn't bring it up, though. He might really like the place, and he might be a really cool guy. That said, it wouldn't bother me too much, as long as the house isn't built on an ancient indian burial ground or something!

And I'm sorry about the loss of your friend.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:45:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Pangea:
Yes, tell them. Then on moonlit nights you could wander around their backyard making moaning sounds and scare the shit out of them.

Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:47:20 AM EDT
tell them after they buy it
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:49:45 AM EDT
I don't think it's a big deal for them to know.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:56:23 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:57:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dave15:
Oh hell! I thought you wanted to know if you should tell them that you play with dolls!

Yeah, I hope they aren't some weirdos.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:58:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jbombelli:
They MIGHT already know, unless of course the realtor was a schmuck and didn't tell them.

I am pretty sure Cali laws says they must be told up to 5 years after the fact

SGatr15
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:58:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman:

Originally Posted By Pangea:

+1
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:14:38 AM EDT
no, I wouldnt tell them

since he died outside in the yard, it wasnt inside the house, so I wouldnt say anything about it, it may prevent the house from selling.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:19:36 AM EDT
I whould would let somebody else tell them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:21:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/9/2005 3:38:39 PM EDT by DrFrige]
[MarissaTomeiInMYCousinVinny]"They have to tell them, Its called 'disclosure' ya dickhead!"[/MarissaTomeiInMYCousinVinny]

CA law says they have to disclose info like that otherwise the Real Estate agent can get sued BIG time.

Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:24:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/9/2005 8:25:11 AM EDT by Gloftoe]
Nope. I'd stay out of it. No one likes a meddler.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:26:53 AM EDT
Disclosure forms aint worth the paper they are written on sometimes. My situation with the asshole that sold me this house proved that. My lawyer said, heck yeah you've got him dead to rights. Now just give me $7000 and we'll get started. The seller had spent the money and was a broke derelict with nothing to go after.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:29:10 AM EDT
The ability to mind ones own business is a postive trait.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:40:37 AM EDT
it's not your house and not your responsibility
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:45:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/9/2005 8:47:12 AM EDT by pale_pony]
We rented a house for several years where the next previous tenant had blown his brains out with a 12 gauge on New Years eve. His wife had left him and taken the kids over Christmas and he was drunk and hopped-up on meth, alone, in the master bedroom laying on the bed watching TV, reached over and proceeded to give Mr Wingmaster a blow-job (or vice-versa). According to our next-door neighbor, who was the minister at the Baptist Church and a reserve LEO Chaplin, the poor bastard blew the top half of his head through the wall behind the headboard and into the next bedroom.

ANYWHO...The landlord was up-front with the fact that the new remodel job they were just finishing as we were moving in was the result of the suicide. They even dropped the rent $25 per month (1989) in consideration for us taking the place.

We ended up staying there over 5 years, no ghosts and we had 2 dogs that probably would have noticed them first before we did.

I don't believe in "ghosts" per se, but a friend who does explained this off that true-suicides are ready to go on to whatever is next and a gun is a sure-fire (no pun intended) way out.

OD' suicides are probably NOT true-suicides as the person was probably crying out for help and just wanted attention. They just fugged-up and actually killed themselves even though they really didn't mean to and they are the ones who would be "haunting" because they were not really ready to go.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:49:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By sgtar15:

So, whould you tell the new neighbors what happened if they didn't know?

Sgtar15

Typical California hippies, cant mind their own damn business

If you do tell prospective buyers, I could see some goth couple hearing this and jumping at
the oppportunity to buy

Going to have some interesting neighbors, but on the left coast I'd imagine you are used to that
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:20:11 AM EDT
Why would you want to put your "old" friend's wife through more agony? She is trying to sell the house and move on with her life. Everytime she is in that house or looks at it, she thinks of her dead husband. Just keep your info to yourself, your not the R.E. agent, so your not required to say squat. Continue to be a friend to the widow and try to help the house sell, then try to become friends with the new neighbor.

GlockSpeed31
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:21:19 AM EDT
Depends on the kind of neighbor. Good ones, no. Shitty ones, yes.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:23:31 AM EDT
Only if they asked,
I would not just go running over to tell them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:25:00 AM EDT
No... let one of the other neighbors do it. Why put the burder on your shoulders.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 10:04:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jbombelli:
They MIGHT already know, unless of course the realtor was a schmuck and didn't tell them. I wouldn't bring it up, though. He might really like the place, and he might be a really cool guy. That said, it wouldn't bother me too much, as long as the house isn't built on an ancient indian burial ground or something!

And I'm sorry about the loss of your friend.

Funny you should mention that I used to live in a trailer park thats rumored to have been built on an ancient indian burial ground, that wasn't all it was also built on the grounds of the Eloise insane asylum, and had about a 100 year old cemetary in the center of the park, so I was liveing next to an old cemetary (actually a few blocks away but in the same trailer park....), on the grounds of an insane asylum, located on an ancient indian burial ground, and there was a suicide in the trailer next door, the indian burial ground is rumor, but the rest is documented fact, I didn't see any ghosts but some wierd things happened, the cieling fan moved by it'self, one day I woke, up, and the power was out, a few minutes later it came back on, so I went into the liveing room, I noticed the fuse box was hanging open so I figured we just blew a fuse, and somebody reset, so I went back to bed, but I casualy mentioned it later, and nobody messed with the fuse box, or even knew the power had been out, also some times when I was there alone I could hear what sounded like foot steps, and doors opening, and closeing, I figured most of the noise was probably just the cat, but it was realistic enough to make me clear the house, at that time I didn't have a gun so I had to clear the house with a broad sword, or a sabre sword it was something to see, other than that though nothing wiered happened....
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 12:45:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Gloftoe:

That would be like telling the sarg not to stir shit here.

AB

Link Posted: 7/9/2005 12:53:44 PM EDT
Pretty sure I'd shoot myself too if I lived next to ya

J/K.

I probably wouldn't tell him, but if he asked I would fill him in,
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 12:55:31 PM EDT
It's not your job to tell them anything, and the realator needs to disclose a death at any residence being sold. If they don't, a lawyer is going to have a field-day with their ass.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 1:00:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Gloftoe:

Exactly.

It may come up in conversation at some future point, but it's not your business to tell them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 1:09:45 PM EDT

at that time I didn't have a gun so I had to clear the house with a broad sword, or a sabre sword it was something to see, other than that though nothing wiered happened....

that made for an excelent mental image
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 1:12:18 PM EDT
The seller BY LAW HAS TO DISCLOSE ALL THAT STUFF during the sell!!! Not up to you, Bill's wife has to tell them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 1:15:02 PM EDT
only after they bought it, over a lot of beer ya know while my wife is banging a closet door some where else in the house.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 1:15:59 PM EDT
The seller BY LAW HAS TO DISCLOSE ALL THAT STUFF during the sell!!! Not up to you, Bill's wife has to tell them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 1:19:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/9/2005 1:20:44 PM EDT by SPTiger]
I'd only tell if they asked "What's that smell? And what's with the red paint splattered on the ceiling?"

ETA, I just read the guy did it in the backyard. Nevermind.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 1:25:59 PM EDT
In my state, buyers do not have to be informed of a previous death in a house, unless the death was caused by a structural defect.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 1:31:39 PM EDT
I say if they don't ask, don't tell!
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 1:32:48 PM EDT
Tell them after they finalize and move in. Also, make up a bunch more shit about how there's been a history of murders and suicides on that spot for more than a century.

If you have the mad photoshop and paper-aging skillz, make up some "newspaper articles" talking about the "deaths on that spot."
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 1:55:01 PM EDT
Why not? It wouldn't matter to me one way or the other if I liked the house and the price was right.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:27:14 PM EDT
Yes.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:39:03 PM EDT

Tell them after they finalize and move in. Also, make up a bunch more shit about how there's been a history of murders and suicides on that spot for more than a century.

If you have the mad photoshop and paper-aging skillz, make up some "newspaper articles" talking about the "deaths on that spot."

+1 LOL
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:54:02 PM EDT
That is not a material defect and if the home were in Washington state it would not need to be disclosed. I imagine the same is true in CA, Bill's ex wife would need to give the listing agent her consent before the agent could disclose it. The reason is that the listing agent works for the seller and thus can't do anything that may negatively affect the seller without their permission.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:07:43 PM EDT
I moved into the house I'm living in now about 3 years ago. Happy couple with 2 kids, first house, inside all redone, Thought we were just lucky.

FF to move in day. Turns out we bought the former neighborhood heroin house where a murder, a suicide, and a natural death occured. All the neighbors were out in force to welcome us to the neighborhood and inform us about the previous owners antics.

To this day not one fucking ghost, noise, sound or odd occurance.

As far as the neighbors, one is now a shooting buddy (who never brought it up), another I simply tolerate because his intentions are good, and the other is the neighborhood "call the city about everything" tattle tale little girl type. Fuckin hippie.

The first one to run out and tell me about the history of my house was the stupid city calling hippie. What kind of neighboor do you want to be?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:08:23 PM EDT
You just get back from Iraq? Your CP been down for two months? Are you slow?

This is two months old,the neighbor has allready moved in and out by now!!!!!!

Truely amazes me!!!!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:51:27 PM EDT
Bob...I glanced at the heading and thought Sarge was back...

Oh well, welcome back 'whenever' Sarge

Gwen in L.A.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:00:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GwenInLA1:
Bob...I glanced at the heading and thought Sarge was back...

NO KIDDING!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:26:52 PM EDT
MYOB.

The only thing I'd tell a new neighbor is that I'm retired and I ran a carting business in Newik (Newark, NJ to the uninitiated); J&R Carting, I'm the R. What happened to the J? He went away.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:44:31 AM EDT
No --

Unless it looks like a POS is going to buy
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top