Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2010 5:33:07 AM EDT
A friend of mine is thinking about taking a job cold-calling businesses for YellowBook. Anyone here have/had a job like this? What is it like? How much money did you make? She said that the average person there makes around $35K - $40K a year. Sound right?

Any insights would be appreciated.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:35:06 AM EDT
[#1]
No way.  And if less people did we wouldn't have them wasting everyone's time all damn day long.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:37:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Not anymore.  Support for paper backed advertising is fading away due to the internet, you would probably get treated like a Jehovah on football sunday.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:39:00 AM EDT
[#3]
If I was starving or had to have the job to keep a roof over the head of my family sure.  Otherwise, I would look into a job getting kicked in the groin repeatedly.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:41:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

She said that the average person there makes around $35K - $40K a year. Sound right?

That is funny, I bet 99.95% of those people are lucky to make a third of that. They always like to say you will make that kind of money when in reality, only the district manager and above make that kind of money.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:42:14 AM EDT
[#5]
If I had to.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:43:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Tell him that I will be hanging up on his azz as soon as he announces where hes from.

That said I was a telemarketer in HS and it isn't the worst job in the world.  You CAN make decent money, but I wouldn't expect it to be a career.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:46:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I would do that rather than stay on unemployment for 99 weeks. Especially at 40k.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:47:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I have cold called, it really is not a bad job.  I find it humorous when people yell and scream over the phone.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:54:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not anymore.  Support for paper backed advertising is fading away due to the internet, you would probably get treated like a Jehovah on football sunday.

Internet ads would also be part of her job.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:54:17 AM EDT
[#10]
No way at this point in my life.  I might have when I was a poor college student.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:56:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Every other post is accurate.

I'll ad this - There is a reason that type of job is always open.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top