Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2008 9:40:29 PM EDT
I feel like I am one of the few that would gladly spend a few extra dollars on an American product vs. foreign. Anyone do this as well?

And no I do not have money to burn, but still.

And before someone says they cant afford it, please only say this if you dont have an ipod, X Box, 50+in. flatscreen, Playstation, SUV, 4 wheeler, motorcycle, boat, hotrod and dare I say...over 25 guns. Basically, the stuff some people who claim they are broke already have.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:42:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I buy quality, not country.  If the better product is made elsewhere, I'll buy it.  Fortunately that is rarely the case.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll buy American if it's a quality issue, but buying American because you think your somehow saving jobs and making the nation better off is ignorant.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Why the hell would anyone want to buy crappy american products? Swedish goods FTW!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I could care less about where it was made with the exception of china. The best built product is what I BUY.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why the hell would anyone want to buy crappy american products? Swedish goods FTW!

Lutefisk. Bah!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lutefisk. Bah!

That episode of King of the Hill was on today...

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#7]
if quality is the issue, America cant be beat. somewhere along the line, we got a bad rep. I would not buy American products if they were cheaply made, but thats not the case.

China is our largest supplier, and the most dangerous...in many ways (did someone say recall?).

It just sucks when I walk into the exchange on Parris Island and cant even find an American made Backpack. With OUR trade deficit, we should all try harder to buy American
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Was at the mall today and got my kids some apple juice. The brand was "Florida's Best". Looked at the bottle and ink stamped on the side was "made with concentrate from China". WTF? We cant even make juice concentrate here anymore? Its actually cheaper to make it in China, ship it here, and then make it into drinks? And I dont want my kids drinking shit from that shithole country.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:54:00 PM EDT
[#9]
To actually answer the question, I was pretty concerned with it, though I'm starting to care a lot less. I still try to go for an American name plate like GM, though it's not the easiest thing in the world. Most of my more expensive toys are made over seas. I just stopped caring. I'd rather save a few bucks than sit here and worrying about what I'm filling my house with. That said I still look for quality, I'm not into cheap shit, but I'm not too into spending more when I don't have to.

That said I basically bathe in LaRue kool-aid and would buy anything they put their name on. That is all.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:54:35 PM EDT
[#10]
WWII was wone by some awesome Marines and Soldiers, and by the fact that we converted all of our factories into making supplies for the war.

I'll give you one guess where many of our factories are now.

I wonder if China would let us use our factories in their country when we go to war with them. We need to wake up!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I suppose for roughly equivalent products, I might pay a small premium for one made in America.  I do try to buy American flags that are made in America, but for the most part, I buy what meets my needs and it is either made in America or it isn't.

With all the gobs of money being shipped overseas for oil, where my shoes come from just doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:57:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

WTF do you even make?

Oh thats right, the French have to get their surrender flags from somewhere...
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#14]
IKEA stuff probably

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF do you even make?

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
IKEA stuff probably

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF do you even make?

oh hell, everything from IKEA is made in China. Except some of the stuff in the deli.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF do you even make?

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:01:52 PM EDT
[#17]
True.........I dont think the Chinese have mastered the meatballs they sell in the deli yet

Quoted:

Quoted:
IKEA stuff probably

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF do you even make?

oh hell, everything from IKEA is made in China. Except some of the stuff in the deli.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF do you even make?

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:03:07 PM EDT
[#19]
height=8
Quoted:

With all the gobs of money being shipped overseas for oil, where my shoes come from just doesn't matter.

This is precisely why we need to look for American stuff.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I buy the best if its not the USA o well.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Just because a product says "Made in America" doesn't mean it is.

Some swindlers (rumored that Jack Abramoff was in it) started a sweatshop in the Commonwealth of the Mariannas Islands with Chinese workers that still haven't been paid almost 20 years after they started....

The unpaid Chinese still sit there and are being abused and everything they made said "Made in the U.S. of A."

Capitalism at it's finest.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:11:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF do you even make?

cache.jalopnik.com/cars/assets/resources/2007/02/Austin-Powers-Pump.jpg

That's the only thing that came to mind on my end too
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:11:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF do you even make?

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:15:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I only buy goods from Ikea
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:16:53 PM EDT
[#25]
"Dont Car"

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:23:27 PM EDT
[#26]
height=8
Quoted:
"Dont Car"

sorry about that. im a marine - dont expect much
m - muscles
a - are
r - required
i - intelligence
n - not
e - expected
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#27]
yes, and when I can I do..
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#28]
height=8
Quoted:
yes, and when I can I do..

im glad theres still a few left
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:28:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I normally prefer to buy American, but I will buy foreign items if they are significantly cheaper or of better quality than American equivalents.  

For food and other consumables, I check labels for "Made in USA/Product of USA" and I buy accordingly.  US-made food doesn't cost that much more than imports.  When there is a quality advantage to buying American, I buy American.  

For firearms, buying American is less of an issue to me.  A good portion of the affordable military pattern rifles on the market are foreign made.  There is no $200 American equivalent to an SKS.  The closest thing would be a Mini-30, and those are about $600.  Might as well buy a nice AK or a low-end AR with that kind of money.    

An AK that is totally US-made (no foreign parts period) would run you about $800 at least, putting you in "average" AR territory.  An SKS that is totally US-made (no foreign parts at all) would run about $500, putting you in "cheap low-end AR" territory.  

The only 100% American centerfire rifles that you can buy for less than $200 are hunting guns of questionable utility and reliability for serious non-sporting use.  Most of the US-made milsurp rifles would put you easily into AR territory as for price...
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lutefisk. Bah!

Heathen!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:55:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Depends on how much more they cost, and the quality.  Cars?  Having had a now 24yr old German car for the last 5.5yrs, I would have to say they make a damned fine product.  I also own an old beater International Scout, in the 1978 vintage (back when they put IRON in American Iron).  

But some things are not even made here anymore.  Try buying anything electronic thats made here.  

And somethings aren't worth buying American.  Just look at knives, for example.  Personally, if someone pays more than $40 for a knife, it had better be a collector's peice or able to slice through a tree in one pass out of the box.  Sorry, but that Butterfly on a knife isn't worth the extra $100.  And as far as guns go, I own two that I bought used at a gun show that are American made:  a Ruger MkII and a H&R Model 999 Sportsman, out of the 9 total I have.  

To me, American goods usually price themselves out of the market thanks to Union labor IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:01:47 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Depends on how much more they cost, and the quality.  Cars?  Having had a now 24yr old German car for the last 5.5yrs, I would have to say they make a damned fine product.  I also own an old beater International Scout, in the 1978 vintage (back when they put IRON in American Iron).  

But some things are not even made here anymore.  Try buying anything electronic thats made here.  

And somethings aren't worth buying American.  Just look at knives, for example.  Personally, if someone pays more than $40 for a knife, it had better be a collector's peice or able to slice through a tree in one pass out of the box.  Sorry, but that Butterfly on a knife isn't worth the extra $100.  And as far as guns go, I own two that I bought used at a gun show that are American made:  a Ruger MkII and a H&R Model 999 Sportsman, out of the 9 total I have.  

To me, American goods usually price themselves out of the market thanks to Union labor IMHO.

Ka-Bars are still US made, and can be dug up for $40 ($60 is the "typical" asking price).  I got my hands on a used US M7 bayonet with sheath for $25 a couple of years back.  Oh, and I agree on the unions.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

ny grand dad was sweedish.

"sweedidh" pickled hering  and potato sausage is like crack
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:05:56 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IKEA stuff probably

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF do you even make?

Most stuff I have seen is made in Lithuania, Italy, Poland, Denmark, UK, Germany, and Belgium.  I have seen a few China and Tiawan but not more than 10-15% of the stuff I have looked at.  Compared to Wal-Mart which is like 97% China it is much better. The European stuff is VERY high quality.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:07:15 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lutefisk. Bah!

Heathen!

The Swedish Meatballs at Ikea are fucking delicious.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:08:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes I would, and I would probably feel like the "comparable" US part was stronger/ more reliable than it's Chicom counterpart..you know like back in the 70's, 80's and 90's??
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:09:17 PM EDT
[#37]
stuff STILL made in the U.S.A
IMO american made textiles (if you can find them) are  SO superior to 99.999% of the imported stuff its not even funny.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I buy quality, not country.  If the better product is made elsewhere, I'll buy it.  Fortunately that is rarely the case.

+1
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
*snip*

Ka-Bars are still US made, and can be dug up for $40 ($60 is the "typical" asking price).  I got my hands on a used US M7 bayonet with sheath for $25 a couple of years back.  Oh, and I agree on the unions.  

I do own a Ka-Bar, but I ended up paying $60 for it 4 years ago.  I bought it more for collection (to say I had one) than function, but I know it will do both.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:13:33 PM EDT
[#40]
I routinely look for stuff made in the US.  If the only option is China and I need it, I will buy it.  But if there's a US equiv. I'm there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top