Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/31/2004 4:43:58 PM EST
How many of us here just wouldn't really care for the shooting sports if the gun didn't go BOOM! I am not talking about the occasional use of suppressors for quiet shooting. If it didn't get attention from everyone how important would semi or full automatic fire be to us in a non-combat situation.

I don't think many of us would but I may be wrong because I slept at the Super 8 last night instead.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:46:54 PM EST
More
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:47:16 PM EST
as long as it still puts holes into things
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:48:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/31/2004 4:49:10 PM EST by MadProfessor]
I actually kinda like that "pfft" sound.

The Mosin nagant would be less interesting.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:52:46 PM EST
Ouiet is "cool".....no, j/k. I shoot because I want everyone to look at me. If you shoot because you like the "boom" sound.......see a dr.MHO
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:54:03 PM EST
tough poll
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:56:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By MadProfessor:
I actually kinda like that "pfft" sound

My "pfft" is Pending since June 16th so hopefully in the next month or so.

I really like the noise and the reactions. If you don't know what I'm talking about try setting up on a bench next to an AR50 next time you get the chance. Yeah, I like the boom.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:57:32 PM EST
I would love for silencers to be available for all. I think have the complaints about shooting are the noise.

I used to be able to handle the noise but now I only shoot with hearing protection. W/O hurts my ears and indoor shooters from other lanes often make me flinch even with hearing protection.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:00:08 PM EST
The allure of guns is the challenge of shooting well combined with the power of action at a distance. The noise they make is merely an annoying byproduct.

I would shoot more, if I could shoot suppressed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:00:33 PM EST
I do like things that make big noises.

On the plus side, the legality of suppressors wouldn't be an issue.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:03:39 PM EST
Boom factor is great. But, I like the aspect of stealth and silence. I don't shoot my guns fo the db.

-HS
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:05:31 PM EST
i would buy steel plate and turn my residence into a range!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:06:45 PM EST
Depends. If I had an AR made to the closest specs of that of a SOPMOD M-4, then sure. Trick it out, and enjoy.

But if we are talking about a 1903 Springfield, M-1 Garand or M-14.... Not at all. I want to smell that freshly cut walnut stock, that leather sling... And I want to hear the firm CRACK of that .30-06 or .308. That same crack threw the Germans back in WWI, did it again in WWII, decimated the Chinese and NKs in Korea, and came back for more blood in Vietnam. I want to hear that sound.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:13:37 PM EST
I have no idea......

Guess you would need to ask a deaf person this.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:21:56 PM EST
It would be cool for a while but I think it would get boring...I ised to love shooting my browning abolt in 7mm remington magnum because it was like thunder going off, even the muzzle loader guy turned around to see what was going on.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:25:09 PM EST
Isn't that what a supressor is for?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:27:41 PM EST
I'm planning on getting a lever action carbine in .357 with the intent to supress it probably next year.

Sure I'd shoot muh gunz if they didn't make a loud BOOM!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:30:07 PM EST
Well I really enjoy the loud bang of things. Thunder , a race car(dragster,stocker,etc,etc)my firearms, the headboard() but I also like the pfft of silenced firearms. I dunno , somethinga bout very little sound and all of a sudden there is a hole in something. Kinda cool either way for me. Take care.Coondog
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:39:24 PM EST
Well, Dr Zhivago, looks liek you got it completely wrong - some 85% saying it makes no difference, or would even shoot MORE.
Where did you get such a shallow appreciation of firearms, and what are some of your OTHER crazy-ass Ideas about them. I'm curious to know.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:40:51 PM EST
Very good question.

For me - the BOOM factor doesn't enter into the equation, for me it's the recoil factor!!!

I have rifles with low recoil that go BOOM very loud but are still fun to shoot. I also have rifles that don't go BOOM as loud but they KICK LIKE SHIT and they aren't as fun to shoot (for long).

I'm certainly not a whimp when it comes to recoil, but if you don't shoot your firearms because they make to much noise I gotta wonder......
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:42:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By nchapa:
as long as it still puts holes into things

Ditto. Who gives a fuck what it sounds like. Freakin fancy boy shooters

Just kidding Dr.Chic
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:44:29 PM EST
I want a supppressor. I shoot cuz its fun not nesicaly cuz of the big boom.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:46:46 PM EST
As soon as the .gov freeloader gets back from his two month long coffee break, gets back to his desk, checks his personal email, replies to 5 of them, waits for a reply from two, and finally checks his inbox and approves my transfer, I'll tell ya!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:49:36 PM EST
When I shoot 147 gr 9mm's in my CX4, it sounds like it is surpressed. Coolest thing since milk and cookies!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:50:25 PM EST

I would shoot more, if I could shoot suppressed.

+++ 1 !!!

­
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:55:16 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:02:15 PM EST
I don't think the boom is really a big factor as far as enjoyment goes, but I think there'd be a lot more places to shoot if suppressors were more common. More places to shoot means more shooting, unless you're one of those lucky bastards that can shoot right off of his back porch.

Maybe we should work on taking suppressors off NFA sometime in the next decade or so.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:06:56 PM EST
Well, the boom is not a big deal, but it is half the fun of shooting a 50BMG. For most guns, I'd own supressors and shoot both with and without if it wasn't a big BATFE NFA hassle.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:25:20 PM EST
Hell yeah!!!!
I'd shoot till the ammo ran out!!!

Boom or no Boom, Doesn't matter to me I'll still shoot it.(Just much cooler without!!)
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:41:34 PM EST
Hmm, guess I am a odd ball here, but the noise is a important part of the experience for me. The "kack" "kack" of the AK, the "crack" of the M14, the "pling" of the Garand, the SHABOOOING of the AR (hehe) go right with the smell of CLP, and gun grease, and the heat off the guards... Like for example, would a Harley be a Harley without the sound? I suppose I would not shoot less, but would not be the same full experience.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:46:42 PM EST
The boom is an essential part.

Also plays into range safety as well.

I would shoot less.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:34:46 PM EST
Next topic: Would you still want to fart if they stopped stinking?

Poll coming.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:14:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By druncuncas:
i would buy steel plate and turn my residence into a range!

+1. Set it up catywampas (sp) in the cellar for maximum range. I'd love to do this with an air pistol (too much stuff in the cellar right now).
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:05:16 PM EST

Originally Posted By rayra:
Well, Dr Zhivago, looks like you got it completely wrong - some 85% saying it makes no difference, or would even shoot MORE.
Where did you get such a shallow appreciation of firearms, and what are some of your OTHER crazy-ass Ideas about them. I'm curious to know.

Well looks like a whopping 90% would shoot the same or more.

See everytime I stay at that damn Super 8 motel instead of the Holiday Inn Express I am wrong. Well that's it I'm staying at the HI Express next time. I guess it is not the noise it's the bruised shoulder I like...
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:16:53 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:27:47 PM EST
its kind of like why farts smell, so that def people can enjoy them too,
even without the sound you can still enjoy the smell!
Top Top