Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/4/2010 3:26:30 PM EDT
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/09/04/nevada-candidate-pushes-pay-speed-program-solve-budget-crisis/?test=latestnews

CARSON CITY, Nevada –– One Nevada gubernatorial hopeful sees a speedy fix to Nevada's budget crisis.

Nonpartisan candidate "Gino" DiSimone believes people would pay for the privilege to drive up to 90 mph on designated highways –– and fill the state's depleted coffers.

DiSimone calls his idea the "free limit plan." He estimates the plan would bring in $1 billion a year.

First, vehicles would have to pass a safety inspection. Then vehicle information would be loaded into a database, and motorists would purchase a transponder.

After setting up an account, anyone in a hurry could dial in, and for $25 charged to a credit card, be free to speed for 24 hours.

The Nevada Highway Patrol isn't keen on the idea, saying it would lead to increased injuries and traffic deaths.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Isn't a speeding ticket kinda like paying to speed?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Yeah, but you can keep paying everytime you are caught.

This is like a one time fee 'get out of jail free' card.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#3]
That wouldn't be a right, it would be a privilege, as is driving on public roads anyway.  

Traveling = right
Operating a motor vehicle on public roads = privilege

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I like speed.

This guy is an idiot.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I imagine the CC company would be calling inquiring why I was getting charged every single day.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Well if State Patrol doesn't like it just cut their annual budget by 1 billion. Same effect.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have long eyelashes for that.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Fuck you, cut welfare.  Burn entitlement class, burn.  The fucking party is OVER.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Great idea, I'd pay to play.  I'd much rather it be a per year fee, instead of per day though.  I've always thought people desiring to travel at speeds well beyond 70mph on wide open highways such as the ones in NV, WY, NE, CO, etc. should be able to pay for additional training, have their vehicle inspected, and pay a higher annual license fee for a "high performance" license.  After all, we have many different licenses for aircraft depending on capability, why not for cars/motorcycles?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#10]
$50 per month.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#11]
realistically, only if it came with HOV lanes too. My luck I'd spend the $25 only to get stuck in construction traffic doing 25mph for 7 hours.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:37:16 PM EDT
[#12]
insurance companies wont allow this to happen
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#13]
If you have seen some of the roads out here in Nevada.. 90 MPH is not an unsafe speed.. flat and go on forever.

The part that bugs me is the whole "Transponder" thing.. thanks but I dont need my car beconing my whereabouts every time I pass a cop :)  Just like my privacy and all.

Besides.. the limit out here on most of these types of roads is 70 anyway.. fast enough for me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Change it from 90 MPH to unlimited and you will have every motorcyclist within 1000 miles going through Nevada on their adventure rides.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:46:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Nope. I drive a slow as shit truck and go a bit under the limit most of the time anyway.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Change it from 90 MPH to unlimited and you will have every motorcyclist within 1000 miles going through Nevada on their adventure rides.  

for it to be fun you'd need at least 120mph even for sedans...

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#17]
$25 a day? No. $25 or $50 a month maybe but damn sure not for a day!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#18]
How much would this cost in people that would get tickets now not getting them??
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#19]
It's no more constitutional than taxing people who want to buy machine guns, but the government already does that too.

If it's safe to drive 90, then they need to raise the speed limit to 90, period.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That only works about half the time for me.

My wife, OTOH, used hers to great effect during her lead-foot youth.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

If you have seen some of the roads out here in Nevada.. 90 MPH is not an unsafe speed.. flat and go on forever.

The part that bugs me is the whole "Transponder" thing.. thanks but I dont need my car beconing my whereabouts every time I pass a cop :) Just like my privacy and all.

Besides.. the limit out here on most of these types of roads is 70 anyway.. fast enough for me.

No kidding.  I lived in NLV and my daily commute to Indian Springs (now Creech) was about 25 miles, with exactly one gradual curve.  I did it pretty much every day at 120+ on my bike.  I worked nights so on the way home I'd see maybe 1-2 other cars.  I got pulled over once, but the cop was a retired AF chief so he let me go with a "slow it down".  
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Takes more than long eyelashes

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Fuck you, cut welfare.  Burn entitlement class, burn.  The fucking party is OVER.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:04:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I can just hear the opening statement by the plaintiff lawyer:

Ladies and gentleman of the jury, The State of Nevada decided to license speeding resulting in increased death and destruction on the highways for $25 because they were either too lazy, too incompenent, or too uncaring to fix their budget problems.   This resulted in the death of my clients son/daughter/uncle/parents"................

Just fill in the blanks, and the number of zero's on the check.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I imagine the CC company would be calling inquiring why I was getting charged every single day.
Excellent observation.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#26]
The guy is an idiot, with a very short memory.

Prior to 1974, there was no "speed limit" on NV highways.  It was perfectly acceptable to wind up your 911 / 750 Honda / Hemi Charger etc. to triple digits on the way to Las Vegas.

I can recall passing NHP cars between Searchlight & Las Vegas at well over 100 mph - with a friendly wave.  Was not a big deal back then.

But we lost that to the fedgov 55 mph speed limit.  Sad.

Lem

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#27]
If they pass the law and you get caught speeding w/o paying, will they charge you with theft? Will they add the 25 dollars on the ticket?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#28]
And once again a government official proves that speed limits are kept artificially low & should be raised.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#29]
25 bucks?!  Fuck yeah.  Does this mean if I hit someone/thing while legally speeding, is it their fault for being in the way?  
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#30]
$25 a month?  You bet.

$25 a day?  Fuck that.  Let's say I get 1.5 tickets a year... That isn't even a dollar a day assuming an average ticket cost of $200
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:24:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#32]

Track days are only $160.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#33]

This idea is so much fail and is going to lead to more accidents, deaths, and road range. It's going to cost the state more in the end. Having 2 contradictory sets of "safety" rules apply at the same time is always a bad idea.

What they should do is come up with a "sporting vehicle" tax. Anyone who registers a car with a rear spoiler, removable/collapsible roof, or is rated with more than 150hp* must pay $200 for a special sticker to make the car legal.

*The horse power limit does not apply to vehicles classified as trucks.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

What they should do is come up with a "sporting vehicle" tax. Anyone who registers a car with a rear spoiler, removable/collapsible roof, or is rated with more than 150hp* must pay $300 for a special sticker to make the car legal.

*The horse power limit does not apply to vechles classified as trucks.

No new laws.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This idea is so much fail and is going to lead to more accidents, deaths, and road range. It's going to cost the state more in the end. Having 2 contradictory sets of "safety" rules apply at the same time is always a bad idea.

What they should do is come up with a "sporting vehicle" tax. Anyone who registers a car with a rear spoiler, removable/collapsible roof, or is rated with more than 150hp* must pay $200 for a special sticker to make the car legal.

you would then see a few rice burners with extra small midget truck bodies...
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Actually, we should come up with a POS economy car tax;

- Less fuel used = less highway taxes paid, therefore they should make it up in a tax.
- They should also be confined to the right lane because they cause traffic problems by getting in everyone else' way.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Nope there are too many dipshits out there who cant drive normal speed ––never mind deal with people going faster around them than they deem necessary. Its not the person paying to speed I care about its ALL the other idiots out there who have no awareness on the road, cant merge, don't understand the passing lane or its usage, are surprised by everything including the same pothole they hit every day.
I can see some interesting situations tho...
Imagine the out of state driver pulled over by the highway patrol for speeding when the permitted resident blows by at 90mph.
driver: "What about him!!!"
trooper : " He's allowed––He lives here!"
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

realistically, only if it came with HOV lanes too. My luck I'd spend the $25 only to get stuck in construction traffic doing 25mph for 7 hours.

Trust me, you do NOT want HOV lanes...

They're a huge fad out here (Damn King County greenie-weenies) and actually ADD to congestion.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yep. Better to take you chances than pay up front IMO.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#40]
I'd pay up to $100 a month to exceed the limit as much as I'm comfortable with on the freeway.
Sadly it will never work because too many idiots that also paid wouldn't yield the #1 lane for faster traffic.  In addition, there will be bigger idiots that think they're buying a license to race other cars on the freeway.

I think the HOV lane should also have a limit at least 10 mph faster than the other lanes.  It's purpose is to move people more efficiently.  Too often there's an idiot in the HOV lane that sits at 55 like it's their own personal lane.  Then the HOV lane is no better than all the other lanes.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#41]

Um, if you can simply pay to speed, then obviously it's not considered a real safety hazard, and anybody should be able to do it.

If it's truly a safety hazard (and I believe that it sometimes is), then it's fucking retarded that one should be free to speed simply because they can afford it.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:48:09 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Great idea, I'd pay to play.  I'd much rather it be a per year fee, instead of per day though.  I've always thought people desiring to travel at speeds well beyond 70mph on wide open highways such as the ones in NV, WY, NE, CO, etc. should be able to pay for additional training, have their vehicle inspected, and pay a higher annual license fee for a "high performance" license.  After all, we have many different licenses for aircraft depending on capability, why not for cars/motorcycles?

That's a MUCH better idea...
A 'high performance vehicle' endorsement, that allows driving at 'reasonable and prudent' speed on designated roads...
Rules would have to be:
1) Not valid for compact sedans (sorry ricers), minivans, or trucks....

2) If you cause an accident, your fines are several times higher...

3) Annual safety inspections required - not just smog, but tires/suspension/etc...

4) Additional training and check-ride required to recieve license, check-ride required to renew license.

5) 1 ticket for 'reckless driving' or any 'racing' offense, 2 tickets for any other offense while operating under high-p rules, or 1 at-fault accident, and your 'high-p' license is *done*....

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

For many years, I drove pretty well however I wanted to and it cost me a couple hundred a year, at most.

I drive much, much slower now.

But back to the idea in the OP, aren't speed limits supposed to be there for the sake of safety, and doesn't changing them for revenue generation sort of make the whole idea of 'safety' look silly and meaningless?

Could we next expect to be able, for a small fee, to shoot guns up in the air in downtown DC?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#44]
It would not be safe to have some traffic going 90 and other traffic going 60.  Whatever speed they make it (and it should be higher in most places) it needs to be the same for everyone.  The exception would be Semi's.  They should not exceed 75.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

For many years, I drove pretty well however I wanted to and it cost me a couple hundred a year, at most.

I drive much, much slower now.

But back to the idea in the OP, aren't speed limits supposed to be there for the sake of safety, and doesn't changing them for revenue generation sort of make the whole idea of 'safety' look silly and meaningless?

Could we next expect to be able, for a small fee, to shoot guns up in the air in downtown DC?

Not only that, but they were put in place when cars had manual steering, manual drum brakes, no ABS, no airbags, no child seats, tires hard enough to throw sparks when you spun 'em, etc. Just on this basis alone the limit should be raised by 20MPH on most roads.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

It would not be safe to have some traffic going 90 and other traffic going 60.  Whatever speed they make it (and it should be higher in most places) it needs to be the same for everyone.  The exception would be Semi's.  They should not exceed 75.

We have 70mph (cars), 60mph (all trucks and cars towing trailers) on some roads here...

It CAN work, so long as the police enforce the HELL out of 'SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT'

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

* Right - Vehicles classified as trucks pay at the $300 Heavy vehicle rate.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

We have 70mph (cars), 60mph (all trucks and cars towing trailers) on some roads here...

It CAN work, so long as the police enforce the HELL out of 'SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT'

This. The Long Island Expressway has a 55MPH limit. Everybody does 75-80, including semis.

Traffic backs up whenever the HOV lanes are restricted to cars with 2 or more people in them (0600-1000 & 1500-2000) - the first part of the problem.
The second part of the problem is people get in the HOV lane, set their cruise control, and refuse to move out of the faster vehicles way.
The third part of the problem is everybody getting off slams on their brakes in the left lane as they get to the exit & then they cut off the other 2 lanes of traffic (while the people getting on cut off everyone before they are up to speed because they want to be in the left lane.

To fix the problem all they have to do is;
- Get rid of the HOV lane & make it a regular lane (actually there's enough room to make 2 extra lanes if they get rid of the median where the cops sit).
- Take all the HOV cops and make them enforce "slower traffic keep right" & "left lane is for passing and emergency vehicles only" with zero tolerance (like NJ does on the parkways).
- Have a cop sit at every exit/entrance ramp and issue reckless driving to anyone cutting off faster traffic.

After a couple of months of enforcement most people will stop doing stupid shit and then they can pull 90% of the cops off the road - saving tax dollars.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

They're a huge fad out here (Damn King County greenie-weenies) and actually ADD to congestion.

That's the truth, the ones here are a nightmare and you are only allowed to move in and out of them at designated areas.  There is always some hyper miler in them holding traffic up.  Fuck HOV lanes.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the truth, the ones here are a nightmare and you are only allowed to move in and out of them at designated areas.  There is always some hyper miler in them holding traffic up.  Fuck HOV lanes.

Ever since I saw a car broke down in the HOV lane in Boston I have avoided them.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top