Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2011 5:04:05 PM EDT
On a job application, where it asks for work experience, would you include a job that you held at a family owned business?

I used to work for two of my uncles at the family owned lumber mill and I'm trying to decide whether to include it on an application or not.

As a side note, I wouldn't recommend working in family owned business to many people. It only seems to create problems. That job ended up with the "boss" uncle "letting me go" because I wouldn't go full-time.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

On a job application, where it asks for work experience, would you include a job that you held at a family owned business?

I used to work for two of my uncles at the family owned lumber mill and I'm trying to decide whether to include it on an application or not.

As a side note, I wouldn't recommend working in family owned business to many people. It only seems to create problems. That job ended up with the "boss" uncle "letting me go" because I wouldn't go full-time.

I spent many years working for my father's company and yes I list it on my resume.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:09:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Experience helps with everything.  Unless they wouldn't put in a good word for ya
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#3]
If it was legitimate and you paid taxes for the money earned, sure why not.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#4]
If it was applicable towards the new job or reduces a split in employment, yes.  If its just a filler, then meh.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If it was applicable towards the new job or reduces a split in employment, yes.  If its just a filler, then meh.

This is my first thought too.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#6]
And is there a reason why you would not include it as part of your work experience?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Why not?  As long as your family won't trash you in the ref' call that is...
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Only reason I would not include it is because I wonder what the person reviewing my application would think when they match up the last name of the applicant (me) and the work experience (family).

Also, I'm not quite sure what might be said in the ref call. I got along with my one uncle real well but not so much the boss uncle. I might not like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top