Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/1/2014 6:58:08 PM EDT
Neighbor got rid of his Ford F150 and SIL sold their house and are now renting.....

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Poor planning on their part...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#2]

I asked what my parents were going to do about my college.  They told me to get loans or join the Army.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Truck, yes. House, no.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess they expect their child/children will take care of them during retirement.
Well, if they get a job.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:06:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I refused to co sign any loans period.

While I did financially help him, he was told up front that I wasn't co signing anything when it came to loans. Not because I didn't love or trust him but that it was a moronic thing to do as a middle age person trying to save for retirement.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:10:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd tell them to join the military and after they get out, do the GI Bill
route like I did!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#7]
College is a joke and a scam.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Truck, yes. House, no.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

For this reason alone it would seem silly to me to sell off assets for college.

That said I will always hold parents who sacrifice for their kids in high regard.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:15:32 PM EDT
[#10]
No ....
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Truck, yes. House, no.  

If I had an outrageously expensive vehicle or something, then yeah, I might. Not 'just a truck' though.

But ideally, you should plan better than this. It's not like you didn't have 18 or 19 years to think about it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:18:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is only true is some instances, and without mentioning those instances, you make yourself look pretty ignorant.

There are hundreds of great, honorable, and simply awesome professions that require a college degree.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#13]
My kids can pay for there degrees just like I did my three, by being employed by .gov
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#14]
No, I believe that is their responsibility not mine.

My parents didn't give me money for college, nor did my wife get any money from her mom.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:25:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Nope. Seen firsthand at least a dozen kids who couldn't pass semester after semester and either didn't graduate at all, or a 4 year degree took them 6-8 years to complete. Parents remortgaged or reverse mortgaged houses, sold cards, etc.

Truth is that any parent dumb enough to do this probably has kids that are too dumb to graduate college anyway.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:25:40 PM EDT
[#16]
We saved from the time my daughter was born for her education.  With her scholarships and the fact that she worked hard and graduated in three years, she had enough left to pay for the portion of her masters that her employer didn't pay for.  She's now in a PHD program, working as a TA, doing research and getting her PHD.  She'll end up with a PHD without any debt.  It cost her mom and I monthly about the equivalent of a new car payment for the eighteen years she was in our care.   If she hadn't ended up college bound, the same funds could have payed for trade school or been seed funds for a business.  If she had grown up to be an irresponsible, Obama voting member of the FSA, those same funds would have bought her mom and I a nice piece of land in the Rockies.  

Well worth it, IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Truck, yes. House, no.  
View Quote
if it where worth it. I would guess around 70% or people have no business at college

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Nope. Seen firsthand at least a dozen kids who couldn't pass semester after semester and either didn't graduate at all, or a 4 year degree took them 6-8 years to complete. Parents remortgaged or reverse mortgaged houses, sold cards, etc.

Truth is that any parent dumb enough to do this probably has kids that are too dumb to graduate college anyway.
View Quote

Nice Fire Dancer
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#19]
House no.
If I was silly enough to drive a 50k truck, maybe that could go.
Selling my current truck wouldn't even cover a years worth of books.  LOL.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#20]
No.  I need my truck to get to work, and my house is almost paid for.

My daughter is on academic scholarships and grants for her science degree.  She works part time for her spending money and just bought herself a car.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I, too,  am an asshole. I will not be paying for thier college. I've told them this since they were very young. I give them my unused military benefits, but no cash.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:31:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes.  Id do anything for my kids.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I asked what my parents were going to do about my college.  They told me to get loans or join the Army.
View Quote

Damn right.

Earn your own fucking way.

That being said, I am planning to help my kids if they choose to go.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:33:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Truck yes.  House no.  

However Ive told them if they live here during college I will pay for their first two years so long as it's a technical degree ( accounting, engineering, MD, nursing etc) or if they decide on a trade they get the same deal.  I will cover the cost and they can live here free.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#25]
no.  kids can work their way through college just like everyone else did, and just like I did.  I'd do everything I could but millions of kids a year go to college by working their asses off.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

My aunt and uncle treated their child that way.

He is now worthless.

Nothing has value until you earn it.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I thought they give unlimited student loans to anyone who wants them?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#28]
The real question:

Is my kid gonna choose a good field

Or

Is my kid gonna study liberal arts
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Half of GD wouldn't send their kid to college if it were free.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Selling hard assets for unsecured liability is a bad idea. There is no guaranteed return on investment in college. None. ZERO.

Except maybe a REIT in one of those Phoenix university buildings or a DeVry building that are littered every 2 blocks from coast to coast.

That said, I earned my own scholarships and worked hard to go to trade school.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#31]
College is no guarantee of a good job anymore...or a job at all for that matter.  And many young people aren't ready for college and won't be for another 5-10 years.  Sending them off to party for 4 years at your expense seems...misguided.  We went through this with both my step sons.  After a lot of money spent by both sets of parents to put them in school they wound up dropping out.  One started his own business and is doing well, the other is 27 and still partying, there are days I doubt he'll ever grow up enough to have more of a career than answering phones at Verizon and telling people how to reset their iPhone.  But at least he's got a job.

If the kid was ready for college, yes I'd probably sell the truck and get a beater.  The house?  Fuck that.  If we've planned that poorly it's time for the kid to join the military, which I recommended to both of my step sons, and use the GI bill.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:44:58 PM EDT
[#32]
No car and house.

Go to community college for 2 years and commuting ito a 4 year college s way cheaper that living on campus. More than half of the college expenses is room & board.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
no.  kids can work their way through college just like everyone else did, and just like I did.  I'd do everything I could but millions of kids a year go to college by working their asses off.
View Quote
That is almost impossible to do today. Back when I was college, it was possible to work your way through college, but in today's environment with the limited purchasing power of the money, no.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:48:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That said I will always hold parents who sacrifice for their kids in high regard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well put for an AK guy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:48:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#36]
I told my daughter the same thing my dad told me "If you want to go to college get a job and pay for it".
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#37]
With three headed downrange and one in the pipe, it's a possibility.... LOL
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:58:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, those self taught doctors are much better than the book learned college types.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Truck, maybe.

2 things you never ever sacrafice for your kids college; your home and your retirement / 401k.  Living in a box behind Burger King is no way to spend your golden years.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#40]
People pay about 300% too much to send their children to college. The biggest suckers of all are the idiots who pay for their children to live in the dorms.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That is almost impossible to do today. Back when I was college, it was possible to work your way through college, but in today's environment with the limited purchasing power of the money, no.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. NO ONE needs to live in a dorm.

ETA:  There are plenty of other ways to cut costs. CLEP exams, AP exams, Community college for the first two years, and so forth. If you believe all of this crap about "prestige" you're a sucker. There is no real prestige outside of the very top tier (Ivy League, Stanford, Duke, Cal Tech, MIT, etc).
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#42]
not everyone is meant to go to college, he would probably be join got community college or welding school if he didn't get a scholarship.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The real question:

Is my kid gonna choose a good field

Or

Is my kid gonna study liberal arts
View Quote

If you hand them a blank check, you will end up with no say in the matter.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

No matter how senseless!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#45]
No, they can work like i did.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This is only true is some instances, and without mentioning those instances, you make yourself look pretty ignorant.

There are hundreds of great, honorable, and simply awesome professions that require a college degree.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Likewise, Your comment makes you look ignorant.

Name one profession that could not be mastered through an apprenticeship of varying degrees of commitment?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Im totally willing to help them out but college is something they have to EARN. Find a job that will reimburse, join the mil, don't go to an outrageously expensive school. I would not like to see them go deep in debt though. We do have 529s for them and that will help.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:13:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This is only true is in some instances, and without mentioning those instances, you make yourself look pretty ignorant.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is only true is in some instances, and without mentioning those instances, you make yourself look pretty ignorant.

Do they teach spell check in college?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Truck, yes. House, no.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

College is necessary for Doctors, Engineers, etc. You know,  professions that actually require years of study.

Beyond that, it's a waste of money.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top