Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2006 4:17:36 PM EDT
I mean if you were driving around with a friend and some guy cuts you off or needs to get over and you see he has a DAV license plate or sticker, would you cut him/her more slack than the everyday joe?

I was riding with my friend and he just about ran this guy off the road because he wanted to merge and my friend wouldn't let him.  I told him to be nice to the guy because he was DAV and he responded that he didn't care who they were.  I tore into him because this guy got hurt defending this country.  He said he probably fell off a ladder.

Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#1]
  Yes, I would.  I once saw a car on the interstate with a NG plate,
went back to offer help, turned out it was the owners wife driving
and he was deployed, had kids in the car, etc.  She got a free tire
change that day.  Had I not seen the plate I would not have stopped.

Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Hell yes, just like I do to the Purple Heart plates!  The only charity I give to is the DAV, because we all owe tham a lot!  We owe them our freedom, our safety, and our lives!  
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hell yes, just like I do to the Purple Heart plates!  The only charity I give to is the DAV, because we all owe tham a lot!  We owe them our freedom, our safety, and our lives!  
+1
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I drive courteously, and I do believe we owe these men who sacrificed for our country a great debt. That said, nobody who drives like an asshole gets any quarter from me. Endangering me and mine with your asshat driving is something totally different.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I do the same thing for old folks.  If I notice some odd behavior while driving and see it's a senior citizen then I simply offer them a wide berth.

A lot of elderly and disabled people would be genuinely trapped at home if they didn't have that operator's license.  Granted, if they are overtly unsafe then they should be off the road (missing stop signs, veering into oncoming traffic, or other life risking conduct).  But if they're merely driving slow, holding up the fast lane, merging a little too close, then what's the big deal?  Nothing.  We should all try to be considerate drivers.

Vigilance is the key.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Duh.

Those and the POW plates, unless of course it's some teenager driving gramps car.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:04:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I was riding with my friend and he just about ran this guy off the road because he wanted to merge and my friend wouldn't let him.

No offense, but your friend sounds like an asshole. I wouldn't do that to anyone.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was riding with my friend and he just about ran this guy off the road because he wanted to merge and my friend wouldn't let him.

No offense, but your friend sounds like an asshole. I wouldn't do that to anyone.

After today, I couldnt agree more...  I dont know how I am supposed to be friends after this.  The lack of respect really pisses me off.  Worst part is this guy was in the Guard and it could have easily been him with the DAV plates.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:15:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

After today, I couldnt agree more...  I dont know how I am supposed to be friends after this.  The lack of respect really pisses me off.  Worst part is this guy was in the Guard and it could have easily been him with the DAV plates.

He could've been having a bad day.  I get pissed at my friends for some of the stupid shit they pull but I don't break contact.  

A friendship so easily broken was never strong to begin with.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:16:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I am a Gold donater to the DAV, so yes but I don't look at plates, I generally cut everyone a break. Unless they are a total asshat.

Most of my charity money goes to the DAV.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am a Gold donater to the DAV, so yes but I don't look at plates, I generally cut everyone a break. Unless they are a total asshat.

I've always known you as a strong supporter of the U.S. military, pooby.  Thank you.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I drive courteously, and I do believe we owe these men who sacrificed for our country a great debt. That said, nobody who drives like an asshole gets any quarter from me. Endangering me and mine with your asshat driving is something totally different.

I think we suffer from environmental conditioning. Every third car down here has a DAV tag. I try to be courteous and polite driving, but it would help if they would move to the right for the people who HAVE to be somewhere before 6p.m., this, at 8:30 in the morning. I'm more inclined to give up a handicap spot for them. (and I have a handicap tag, but can never seem to get IN one of them)
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#13]
The DAV plate doesn't necessarily indicate that he was wounded. I started getting DAV stuff almost immediatly when I seperated from the Marine Corps, without having even filed for disability. Evidently they automaticly enrolled me in their organization without even asking me. In fact, when I did file for disability, the VA was unable to locate my medical records. Regardless, while service connected, none of my stuff was combat related. Nor was it really disabling. In fact, I am back in the military now.

Regardless, I try to cut everyone slack, particularly others affiliated with the military.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Not so much DAV, as the previous poster correctly indicated that DAV does not mean a combat injury (I acutally worked with a DAV who got his discharge because of sleep apnea). Purple Heart plates always get extra courtesy from me. If I make eye contact I usually say something like "Thank you for your service". Hopefully they can read lips.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know what a "DAV" is.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I don't know what a "DAV" is.  
DisabledVeteran
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:28:16 PM EDT
[#17]
There is actually a country song about this topic, listen to "POW 369" by Darryl Worley
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:35:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I mean if you were driving around with a friend and some guy cuts you off or needs to get over and you see he has a DAV license plate or sticker, would you cut him/her more slack than the everyday joe?

Yes. Absolutely.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I do if I see the Combat Wounded Veteran or the Ex-POW plates.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've always known you as a strong supporter of the U.S. military, pooby.  Thank you.  

yeah, thank you, especially since i know you don't make a lot of money.

what's DAV?   Never mind
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes, since anyone who became disabled in defense of their country deserves a lot more than a little off hand courtesy.  Give them all you can and you still can't give them back what they gave for you.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#22]
How about instead of only being courteous to vehicles with DAV plates on them we simply drive friendly and not take every little mistake that others make personally?

Let folks merge and change lanes.

Maintain proper following distances.

Drive in the appropriate lane.

Come to a full stop at stop signs.

Come to a full stop when making a right turn on a red light.  Look to make sure nobody is coming before turning.

Move aside when a faster vehicle overtakes you in the left lane.  Even if you are driving 70 in a 50 zone, if you are not passing folks in the right lane you need to move aside and let the faster vehicle safely pass.

Signal your turns.

Turn down your stereo so the other cars don't vibrate from your subwoofers.

Inspect our vehicel so that the lights are properly aimed, the turn signals work, and it is otherwise safe to operate on the public streets.

There's more, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
How about instead of only being courteous to vehicles with DAV plates on them we simply drive friendly and not take every little mistake that others make personally?

Let folks merge and change lanes.

Maintain proper following distances.

Drive in the appropriate lane.

Come to a full stop at stop signs.

Come to a full stop when making a right turn on a red light.  Look to make sure nobody is coming before turning.

Move aside when a faster vehicle overtakes you in the left lane.  Even if you are driving 70 in a 50 zone, if you are not passing folks in the right lane you need to move aside and let the faster vehicle safely pass.

Signal your turns.

Turn down your stereo so the other cars don't vibrate from your subwoofers.

Inspect our vehicel so that the lights are properly aimed, the turn signals work, and it is otherwise safe to operate on the public streets.

There's more, but I'm sure you get the idea.

If all of that happened, then I wouldn't have road rage.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:40:47 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I was riding with my friend and he just about ran this guy off the road because he wanted to merge and my friend wouldn't let him.  I told him to be nice to the guy because he was DAV and he responded that he didn't care who they were.  I tore into him because this guy got hurt defending this country.  He said he probably fell off a ladder.

A real man shrugs his shoulders, lets the shitty driver drive on by, forgets about it.

Don't waste your time goofing around with idiots.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top