Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 1/6/2005 3:28:52 PM EDT
..two liter bottle?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:29:49 PM EDT
I'm hesitent to buy beer in glass with a TWIST-OFF cap........
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:30:02 PM EDT

Only if it came with a paper bag

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:30:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By out-a-ammo:

I prefer the term "sippin' sack"
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:31:57 PM EDT
Back when it was cool to drink 40oz bottles I could drink a ton.  Even then the end of the "4-D" was flat and warm.  2L would be just more flat warm beer to drink before opening a fresh one... If I could stomach another one
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:32:19 PM EDT
It would have to be a glass 2 liter bottle.  Then I would just buy it for the bottle.  You have to be able to keep it cool.  Drinking 2 liters can be done while it is still cool, but kind runs the fun.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:32:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Wingnut116ACW:

niiiiiiiiiice
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:33:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Wingnut116ACW:

I always called mine a "ghetto frige"
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:41:19 PM EDT
Nope.  Most of the time I have a hard time finishing a 12 oz. bottle without it getting warm.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:47:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:47:21 PM EDT
It's called a growler. I used to buy 1/2-gallon growlers at a local brewpub. I'd usually get 2 IPA, a doppelbock and maybe one amber or something mild like that for guests that didn't cotton to the hoppy or dark stuff. Dark brown glass jugs with metal lids. I'd go through 2 growlers of IPA by myself in a week, and properly refrigerated, the stuff would not lose anything over the course of a few days.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:49:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
..two liter bottle?

Yes. We do that already from the local brewpubs.  They sell jugs that you can get refilled cheap.  They are 64 oz. (which is a couple of ounces short of 2L).
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:49:55 PM EDT
They sell those little mini-kegs that are about a gallon (I think).  So, I don't see any harm in a 2L container.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:52:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tc6969:
Damn Right!

Get that sucker just about frosty in the freezer and get with it!

I have always felt a different buzz when drinking quart bottles versus cans I would LOVE to try on one of these big boys!

+1 it would not get warm in my hands.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:59:21 PM EDT

I request the paper bag--makes it way cooler!!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:03:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DzlBenz:
It's called a growler. I used to buy 1/2-gallon growlers at a local brewpub. I'd usually get 2 IPA, a doppelbock and maybe one amber or something mild like that for guests that didn't cotton to the hoppy or dark stuff. Dark brown glass jugs with metal lids. I'd go through 2 growlers of IPA by myself in a week, and properly refrigerated, the stuff would not lose anything over the course of a few days.

Man I'd go through two growlers a night.  

I'm taking a break from drinking these days.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:03:55 PM EDT
All the time in college after selling blood for $12 a pint.  Ahhhh, those were the days.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:06:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Burley:
Nope.  Most of the time I have a hard time finishing a 12 oz. bottle without it getting warm.

Me, too.  I like 'em cold, and anymore I don't hammer them down like I used to.  The thought of sippin a '40 after an hour or so isn't real appealing .  I'll leave the big bottles to the "pros"
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:06:59 PM EDT
I have a beermeister, and I'd like to invent a 'keg' sort of put together like a pressure cooker, so when you want a couple gallons but don't want to move the whole thing you could put a few gallons of beer in it, latch the lid down, give it a few pumps and you'd have portable draft beer.

Think that's a good idea?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:08:53 PM EDT
Only in winter, for consumption in the shop.
Summertime beers that size get warm.

Regardless, my brands don't come in that size.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:09:29 PM EDT
I just happen to have a growler from NXNW in my fridge right now.  I do believe I'll pour myself a short pint.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:12:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Frankenpez:

Originally Posted By Burley:

Me, too.  I like 'em cold, and anymore I don't hammer them down like I used to.  The thought of sippin a '40 after an hour or so isn't real appealing .  I'll leave the big bottles to the "pros"

Cold.................Warm............................it's all good e

There's just somethin' bout wrapping your hands around that brown paper bag...........it's a cool look....trust me.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:13:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By munkalido:
Back when it was cool to drink 40oz bottles I could drink a ton.  Even then the end of the "4-D" was flat and warm.  2L would be just more flat warm beer to drink before opening a fresh one... If I could stomach another one

First off, it's still cool to drink 40's. Especially out of brown paper bags. I ask for them by name at the package store.

Second, drinkin a 40 is all about endurance. You must drink the first half to finish the second. This is the tao of the 40.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:16:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PhatForrest:
You must drink the first half to finish the second. This is the tao of the 40.

Beautiful, man, just beautiful!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:18:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:22:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DzlBenz:

Originally Posted By PhatForrest:
You must drink the first half to finish the second. This is the tao of the 40.

Beautiful, man, just beautiful!

I like it, way cool. I need to remember that one.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 5:24:04 PM EDT
Theres a deli/pub where I used to live...they would give you a liter of Spaten in a container simular to a QT of chinese soup to go. It was sweet.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:07:43 PM EDT
The local brewpub charges only $6 to refill their growlers.  Thats the price of two pints of beer. I've got to get a growler to keep in the fridge.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:10:53 PM EDT
How do you guys get to walk down to the local pub and get a your pitcher filled up? Is that just Blue Staes or can we get some of that action in Red States?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:16:39 PM EDT
Some brewpubs are allowed to sell beer in containers to go. It's because the stuff is brewed on-site, I guess. I didn't take the time to understand it; I just took advantage of it!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:20:13 PM EDT
Buy it? Yes. Drink out of it...Blah (think of the backwash by the 1.5 L mark)

I like to drink beer our of a mug. New, cold one each time.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:42:07 PM EDT
Geee, I don't know - living in Blount County and all (dry as a bone)
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:45:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By leadnbrass:
Theres a deli/pub where I used to live...they would give you a liter of Spaten in a container simular to a QT of chinese soup to go. It was sweet.

Came with a straw also.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:46:43 PM EDT
No, I would not.

I prefer my beer in a glass bottle.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:33:06 PM EDT
The growlers I drink are in glass.

I still don't like the plastic beer bottles they serve at ball games.

Beer is best on tap or in glass.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:38:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
..two liter bottle?

Would I? I did, 21 years ago. I was in training and stationed at NAS Memphis in Millington Tenn.. As  young Marine fresh out of bootcamp, cheap beer was a priority. My buddies and I hit a local "C" store looking to get primed before we hit Overton Square. Lo and behold, "Big Jug Beer" in a plastic two liter bottle. We bought two and drank them on the way in to Memphis.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:31:11 AM EDT
I can't imagine it would stay cold too long.  Probably not...
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:34:12 AM EDT
I can beat that! A "customer" of mine gave me a freaking MAGNUM of Heineken over the week-end. I don't think I'll take that one on by myself.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:15:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/10/2005 12:16:52 PM EDT by Hokie]
Beer was meant to be consumed in the following quantities:

12 Oz (you, yourself, and that person you see in the mirror everyday)

22 Oz (you and someone else)

Keg (you and a fraternity)

After that it increases numerically by the barrel....

Top Top