Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2005 6:19:47 AM EDT
From Hillary Clinton?

What a diliemma!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:33:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Hell Yes I would, i just wouldn't tell anybody...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:34:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:38:17 AM EDT
[#3]
No.  Do ROTC instead, you'll have a better life, and when you graduate, you're the same rank!
But if you really want the sheltered life for 4 years, go for it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:54:50 AM EDT
[#4]
How is it a dilemma?  Aren't you a PA resident?  Last time I checked she represented NY.  Yes, I would take it - I only had a Representative nomination, senatorial is better.  Would you decline a commision from a Dem president?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:14:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Hell Yes,  When I was in Boot Camp at Paris Island I recieved an appointment to USNA from then Sen. Lawton Chiles...at the time all I cared about was making it off that damn island.
Just for the record It's not a good thing to get a letter from an US Senator while in USMC Boot Camp  I really wish my DI's would have given me some command guidence...I told them I only wanted to be a Marine Yes, I was a Dumbass Boot.  And did'nt realize I could have finished boot and still gone to the Navel Academy.  Been Kicking myself in the ass for the last 21 yrs
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:21:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
No.  Do ROTC instead, you'll have a better life, and when you graduate, you're the same rank!

Sheltered life... do you actually know anything about the military academies.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How is it a dilemma?  Aren't you a PA resident?  

I'm 53. The chances of me getting into a service academy are pretty slim.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I had both a presidential and congressional nomination to West Point out of high school, when I got my appointment I decided to turn it down.  Best decision I ever made.  

Ended up going to Army ROTC instead.  Then I quit school after 2 and a half years because I wanted to get married and I was making good money doing construction in the summers and I really enjoyed it.  Did utility contracting for two years, eventually became a heavy equipment operator and even ran a few small jobs myself, but I ended up enlisting in the Air Force because the money I made was good until you have a wife to take care of and no medical benefits or anything.  Plus I took a test to get into a pretty tough job to get, I am a Computer Proggrammer.

So I ended up enlisted in the Air Force instead of WP.  Fine with me, I wouldn't change it for a second.  I am going to finish my degree before my enlistment is up in either computer science or software engineering and get out.  

Screw the academy's.  Four years of bullshit, celabacy, and taking shit from people.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm 45 and about 30lbs overweight. I don't think I have to worry about it much.

But that said, USE THE BITCH BEFORE SHE USES YOU!  

Come to think of it, I got my Eagle Scout rank in 1977. Signed by Jimmy Carter. That sure caused some mixed feelings on my part. But being 17 I couldn't put it off until after the elections. It was Jimmy or nobody.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You also have many fewer doors that open themselves to you in your life.  The Academies offer a brotherhood that links you forever in both military service and private enterprise.

Kind of like being in the "right" fraternity at a top University.

With my few years, I'm only 30, has come some wisdom I wish I possessed at 17.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#12]
The Citadel, enough said.

A great place to take a ROTC scholarship.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:32:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You also have many fewer doors that open themselves to you in your life.  The Academies offer a brotherhood that links you forever in both military service and private enterprise.

General Richard Myers, you know, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, was an Air Force ROTC grad.  General T. Michael Moseley, the soon-to-be AF Chief of Staff, wasn't an Academy grad either, he was a Cadet at Texas A&M.  With that said, you don't have to be an academy grad to get doors to open up.  I do admit, yes it helps, but if you truely want to achieve any kind of power, you'll make it happen regardless.  Natural leaders find a way to rise to the top.

Quoted:

Sheltered life... do you actually know anything about the military academies.

Hmm, you know, I didn't attend any of them.  However, my roommate of the past year is a USAFA grad, and I've been training with some zoomies and a USNA grad for the past year.  I've heard many stories and heard about their daily experiences.  Compared to going to a "normal" college for 4 years, a service academy is a much different lifestyle.

I was able to pick my class schedule, pick the clothes I want to wear, etc.  Hell, I could party my ass off or whatnot, whenever I wanted to.  I don't think that happens in the academies.  They choose all that shit for you.   It was also nice having my own car and my cell phone, and not needing permission to leave campus, from day one.  I definately had more freedom than an academy grad.

This guy asked for people's opinions, and I gave him mine.   I would choose ROTC over any academy, any day of the week.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#14]
there aren't a whole lot of mustangs anymore, are there.......?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Most enlisted men I know in the Army dislike West Point grads. Most also dislike ROTCers and "green to gold" grads. The only officers not despised immediatly seem to be OCS grads, due to their prior enlisted time.I'm not saying it's right or fair, it's just the way it seems to be.

On the other hand, in order to get assigned to crack units like 173rd Airborne at SECOM or to get a shot at a plt. leader slot with the 75th Ranger Rgt. it seems that you must come from the Academy.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:17:35 AM EDT
[#16]
FUCK yes!  If I were 17 again, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:30:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How is it a dilemma?  Aren't you a PA resident?  

I'm 53. The chances of me getting into a service academy are pretty slim.

Silly me.  Guess that it was a wild assumption that you were speaking of a relative who lived in the same state as you.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:49:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Most enlisted men I know in the Army dislike West Point grads.

Boy, that would just break my fucking heart.

There's only one right answer here....if you get an appointment and you want a life in the military, you go.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:56:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
From Hillary Clinton?

What a diliemma!

Sure I would.  I have her husband's signature on my retirement paperwork.  I dislike it, but it has zero actual impact on my life, other than I'll never hang it on my office wall.  

It's the office they hold, not what political party they are affiliated with.  There are scoundrels in both parties anyway.  The greater good is the service to the nation, not a personal like or dislike of a particular office holder.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:27:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

General Richard Myers, you know, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, was an Air Force ROTC grad.  General T. Michael Moseley, the soon-to-be AF Chief of Staff, wasn't an Academy grad either, he was a Cadet at Texas A&M.  With that said, you don't have to be an academy grad to get doors to open up.  I do admit, yes it helps, but if you truely want to achieve any kind of power, you'll make it happen regardless.  Natural leaders find a way to rise to the top.

I highlighted the point you missed.  There is only one Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, huh?  Other guys are making their way in the private sector with a "buddy buddy" handshake that they perfected at one of the academies.

Maybe I am more in tune to this sort of thing because of where I am located, and my wife being an HR Recruiter for gov't contractors here too...

If you believe for one second that a degree from one of the academies, and 8 years of service, doesn't get you more opportunities than someone with an ROTC scholarship and 6 years of service from a non-academy, you are on crack.

I believe that all the Senior Executives at my wife's company are West Point or Naval Academy grads.  I think I'd be happy with an 0-6 pension and a high six figure salary in my first year in the private sector at age 55.

While it's true that doors open themselves for overachievers -- not all ROTC or Academy grads are overachievers.  A "B" student from an ROTC program at East Carolina is going to have far fewer opps than a "B" Student from West Point.

YMMV....but those are pretty much FACTS.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:37:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah.

I'm not having trouble being a knob, but tuition is expensive....
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I agree ROTC Lt's are usually more grown up where the military academy guys act like asshat college kids.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:53:06 AM EDT
[#23]
It will make no difference to your career.

If you would ask, you might as well receive.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Yeah.

I'm not having trouble being a knob, but tuition is expensive....

Good to hear it...I was wondering if you were still alive.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:02:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It will make no difference to your career.

We'll agree to disagree.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#27]
No dilemma for me; I'd never live in NY.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:02:39 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
From Hillary Clinton?

What a diliemma!

Only if/when they lifted that BS "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" crap her hubby instituted. I've been out of the closet since I was a teen, and I won't be going back in, for ANYONE!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:12:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Kacer, your avatat says you are a Lesbian.

What part of Lesbia are you from?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:19:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Academy makes no difference when you are in.  In many ways, it hurts (lots of ROTC guys with HUGE chips on their shoulders)
Its on the outside that you make your money.
Academies are considered at or above the ivy leagues.

+1

The business world loves Academy grads, it means a lot more money and better positions outside the Military.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
From Hillary Clinton?

What a diliemma!

only if you are sure you want to be an officer in the military for 6 years after graduation.

there is a certain poetic justice to it...  hee hee.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#32]
why not
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:50:20 PM EDT
[#33]
ring knockers.......
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#34]
If I had the chance, I would be on it like white on rice
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top