Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2013 8:04:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:10:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Considering they gloated to the hijacked SUV owner that they set the bombs, I think they would have been caught eventually.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:12:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Jig was up when photos were released.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:12:57 AM EDT
[#4]
They were fucking idiots. They would have been apprehended eventually regardless.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:13:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Weren't they ID'd by cell phone records?
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:13:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, because they didn't relocate to another area of the country. At some point they would have been caught.

Younger brother was a marijuana users and it was probably only a matter of time before he was arrest for possession and then tied into the bombing.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:14:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

None of their friends, or family called the cops.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:15:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:18:23 AM EDT
[#9]
If they had wanted to get away they would have been having dinner in Canada the day of the bombing.

If they hadn't killed the cop it probably would have been the next morning before the names were out there, but they would have been tied to it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:19:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Probably... but even rudimentary disguises used during the bombing, and enough sense to get the hell out the region, and I think they would have had an excellent chance of making it to Mexico and then on to wherever.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:19:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Valid question Aimless.  

This has been on my mind since the bombing.  Wait one:  I'm a law enforcement supporter, I appreciate those guys and gals doing a job that most can't/won't.  However, those assholes robbed a gas station and carjacked a guy.  Now, I'm not a criminal, but how STOOPID do you have to be?  They might as well have posted 'we did it' on twitter.  Point being, they helped out law enforcement do their job.  I'd like to have seen LE ahead of the curve rather than chasing it when it comes to an imminent threat such as this.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:20:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:20:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The Jihadist's Handbook will be updated with a chapter on disguises.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:21:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is actually the most disturbing thing now that I think about it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:23:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The younger brother seems to have not given much of a hint about being a mad Jihadist Bomber and the older brother was largely off the radar since the FBI turned up nothing on them despite having checked on him and the Russians having complained about him. Even friends of them jokingly commented that #2 looked like one of the bombers but they did not think it could really have been him.

Would they eventually have been connected to those photos if they had just played it cool, particularly if the younger brother cut his hair?

Yes. The FBI was on to these guys pretty quickly. I believe pics  were matched to through facial recognition software to MA driver's license/IDs.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:24:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buzz cut and a bleach job would have bought them quite a bit of time.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:26:48 AM EDT
[#17]
maybe having a plan beyond step one might have been a tad moar epic.

if they had a jihadist network, it was fail.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buzz cut and a nose job would have bought them quite a bit of time.

Corrected.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Would they eventually have been connected to those photos if they had just played it cool, particularly if the younger brother cut his hair?

Can you imagine how that interrogation would go?

Cop: Where were you during the Boston Marathon?

Suspect1: Ughhhh, at home.

Cop: Was anyone else at home with you?

Suspect1: My brother

Cop: So your brother can validate that you weren't at the boston marathon?

Suspect1: YES!

Repeat convo for suspect #2 and the circle continues.

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:42:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:45:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Their biggest mistake was staying in Boston to enjoy all the destruction they had done. They should been out right after, plane tickets bought for the afternoon back to Chechnya. Then they got made, so now they couldn't fly out unless they could get fake passports, with the poor budget they had would of been as good as two cereal box lids. To get involved in a chase when there are 7,000 police and government personal looking for you is beyond repoach.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:51:40 AM EDT
[#22]
The fact that two college students with modified fire works and one 9mm hand gun can close down a major US metropolitan city for a week. Tell me that we are really fucked if a real terrorist  cell starts  operating in the US.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:54:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Considering they gloated to the hijacked SUV owner that they set the bombs, I think they would have been caught eventually.

Yeah but they kept their traps shut until the photos were published and acted normal.  

These guys don't come across as criminal masterminds able to pull of disappearing into the darkness.  Hell their plan seemed to end after "blow things up".  They had several days head start and couldn't capitolize on it since they appearantly didn't have a car.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I think they were on borrowed time once the photos came out.  Somebody would've recognized them and talked eventually; they just got spooked and started doing stupid stuff before it happened.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 9:14:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well,his widow called him

If they had just driven to NYC they probably would have been captured on cctv planting the bombs...and eventually captured.

That man hunt in NYC woulda  been something else huh?
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#27]

Those two morons? Sure.  An intelligent person or persons who know how to plan?  Probably not.

There has been an awesome lesson in how not to conduct a terror operation, provided free of charge by a media and government eager to portray the islamic jihadists as white tea party members"

1) use disguises.  all the time when you aren't around people who know you.  good disguises that you could walk down the street in, and not arouse suspicion as a guy wearing an obvious disguise.
2) pre-place the bombs so you aren't in the photos the day of the event.
3) test your stuff, and use high quality equipment.  
4) be somewhere public with witnesses, doing something innocent, when the event occurs.
5) either leave town immediately (or with timers, beforehand), or be secure in your alibi and connections to act cool while the heat is on.

These two boys acted like high school kids pulling a senior prank, and panicked like dogs when the focus came down on them.  Hopefully most johnny jihadi types are similar in bearing and maturity.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Had they not went full retard that night and instead tried to quietly slip out of Boston it's likely they could have made it to NYC without getting caught. I think they would have been ID'd by the next day either way though.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 9:19:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I would also think the pics were ran against known databases.

Sooner or later something would pop up.

iirc the NH woman who sold him the fireworks recognized his pic.

Yes, several people recognized them the day the photos were released. Another one was Tamerlon's mechanic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top