Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/19/2006 9:36:19 AM EDT
I have an ammo can that has some rust on it in the gunsafe with my firearms. I wanted to know if it was possible for this dried out rust to spread to the firearms and start to rust certain parts of them? I have recent models and all are coated in standard black paint. I haven't seen any show up yet but I wanted to know if this happended to anyone before and if so what can you do to prevent it? Thanks guys
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:39:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/19/2006 9:39:38 AM EDT by C-4]
Rust can't 'spread'. It is caused by corrosion which requires water/moisture and a salt to complete current flow. Iron in the gun donates its electrons to oxygen in the air forming rust ie. iron oxide. Without moisture or salt to complete the 'circuit', there will be no rust.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:41:02 AM EDT
uhhhhhh rust is a sort of fungus NOT a disease
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:43:04 AM EDT
Yes, it will. Send all your guns to me for safe-keeping.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:56:57 PM EDT
Yes, like chicken pox.
However; my weapons are immunized, so you can send yours to me.

B_S
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:24:01 PM EDT
You can seal in the rust with purple bubbalicious bubble gum, it has acetic acid to block the rust on the can.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:32:03 PM EDT
Interestingly enough, the rust on the bow might actually PREVENT your guns from rusting...

Theory: Oxygen combines with metal to form metal oxide. The rusting box would be depriving the air in the safe of oxygen, preventing a similar reaction with your guns.

Does this hold up? Don't know...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:35:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PromptCritical:
Interestingly enough, the rust on the bow might actually PREVENT your guns from rusting...

Theory: Oxygen combines with metal to form metal oxide. The rusting box would be depriving the air in the safe of oxygen, preventing a similar reaction with your guns.

but when you open the safe air gets in.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:39:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gaspain:

I guess it really depends on how long it's shut and how well the door seals...

This phenomenon is well known in the navy. In sealed compartments of ships, rust eventually forms. This chemical reaction removes the oxygen from the space. If a worker enters the space without it being certified safe, he could end up dead real quick. The going story is the first guy goes in, and passes out. The second guy goes in to help and passes out too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:19:57 PM EDT
I dont know, but my .02 is--any thing with rust near my weapons is BAD. Buy plastic ammo cans.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:43:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gaspain:

I guess it really depends on how long it's shut and how well the door seals...

This phenomenon is well known in the navy. In sealed compartments of ships, rust eventually forms. This chemical reaction removes the oxygen from the space. If a worker enters the space without it being certified safe, he could end up dead real quick. The going story is the first guy goes in, and passes out. The second guy goes in to help and passes out too.

sounds an awful lot like H2S poisonings we get up here
Top Top