Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/20/2001 4:10:31 PM EDT
I was wondering if a soldier would carry 2 uppers.  Say they were first in CQC and needed an 11.5 inch barrel and then needed to fight longer range.  They could just swamp uppers if they needed to.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought about getting another upper and having a small case mounted on my pack to carry it with me, but I thought about it a little more and decided it was unnecessary. While a short barrel is great for MOUT (urban warfare) and a scoped flat-top upper would also be great for some situations, I think I'll just stick the the standard M16A2. However, I will probaby carry a scope for the carry handle instead, in case I ever decide I need one.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd rather have two weapons.
Extra weight?
What's that?
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#6]
That's why god made mortars and artillary.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes & No , When I was a Grunt (Lite ABN & SF) , HELL NO!!  Give me a extra canteen or more pogie bait. But once I became a Tanker (M60 & M1) Sure !!  Hell a Tanker can "carry" the wife & the kitchen sink if he wants to. But why would I need a 2nd upper when I have a "Main Gun" ??     "ALL THE WAY and ON THE WAY"
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 5:51:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 6:23:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Major Murphy:
That's why god made mortars and artillary.
View Quote

And naval gunfire support.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I thought about getting another upper and having a small case mounted on my pack to carry it with me, but I thought about it a little more and decided it was unnecessary. While a short barrel is great for MOUT (urban warfare) and a scoped flat-top upper would also be great for some situations, I think I'll just stick the the standard M16A2. However, I will probaby carry a scope for the carry handle instead, in case I ever decide I need one.
View Quote

I, too, came to a similar conclusion when deciding what configuration to get, and for what purpose. Got a AR15/M16A2 standard 20" bbl with a flat top and a high quality low powered scope - 1.75X6 - and a detachable carry handle. The zero on the carry handle does not change with remounting.
The 1.75 power is very quick for target acquisition and the 6 power is adequate for 300 yard plus shooting.
For me the iron sights are the back up.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I cant think of a reason for a soldier to carry two uppers- a SWAT cop might though.

But you all must remember that a 20" AR/M16 is still the same OVERALL length as a 18.5" Mossburg, Remington, or Winchester "riot gun" and people still clame not to mind the extra length with them.  14.5" is valuable for some people do to other requiremnts- space and weight limitations for example.  But you cant compare the shooting ability of a 20" to the 14.5".

For a soldier, if you were going to carry the extra weight, carry a good pistol and ammmo, or a sawed off shotgun.  That would be more useful than another upper.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 4:38:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hits?  Yes, absolutely.  Disabling hits?  Probably not, especially using military ammo.
-Troy
View Quote

600m - 1267 fps - It still is a big OUCH
View Quote

Tests show that the .223 won't fragment under 2,700 fps, so with a short barrel like 11.5 anything over 40-50 meters is just making .22 sized holes.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 4:49:57 AM EDT
[#17]
1267 fps, 55 grn fmj, it doesn't sound like it is a powerful round. But I wouldn't want to get hit by it either. It would still kill you, or seriously injuy you with a well placed hit. No it wouldn't tumble or fragment or anything like that.

But 1267 fps, 55 grn fmj would probably go right through you. Imagine being gut shot, no medical attn right away, the goo that would be leaking into your abdominal cavity. That would be a nasty infection, if you live.

I think that a soldier would be better suited having more ammo or magazines than an extra upper, or maybe a night vision scope.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:40:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I might consider a Shrike Upper. The Shrike is a Belt-Fed Upper for the AR-15/M-16 that is currently being developed. But, I definitely would not carry another regular upper. Extra ammunition goes a long way. Possibly, a few more sidearms, since I wouldn't want to reload a sidearm, if the enemy gets that close. Definitely, would carry a Night Vision Scope and a Silencer. Possibly, an Uzi or other small Sub-Machine Gun for Close Battles or Moving Shots.

Heres a chart/list:

1 - Standard M-16 w. 20" or 16" Upper
       M203 Grenade Launcher
             Some Extra 40mm Rounds
       Night Vision Scope
       Silencer
       Flash Supressor
       Extra Ammo. Mags. in Jungle Config.
       Extra Shrike Upper (For Belt-Fire)
       Laser Pointer Light
1 - Standard M9 Sidearm
       Laser Pointer Light
1 - IMI Uzi (9mm)
       Extra Ammo. Mags.
       Silencer
       Flash Supressor
       Laser Pointer Light
3 - 'Assault' Pistols
       Hi-Capacity Mags.
       Silencer
       Laser Pointer Light
6 - Extra Grenades

Oh Yeah, and Class IV or Higher Kevlar Body Armor (Weather Permitting) with Rifle/Trauma Plates
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:47:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:15:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I might consider a Shrike Upper. The Shrike is a Belt-Fed Upper for the AR-15/M-16 that is currently being developed. But, I definitely would not carry another regular upper. Extra ammunition goes a long way. Possibly, a few more sidearms, since I wouldn't want to reload a sidearm, if the enemy gets that close. Definitely, would carry a Night Vision Scope and a Silencer. Possibly, an Uzi or other small Sub-Machine Gun for Close Battles or Moving Shots.

Heres a chart/list:

M203 Grenade Launcher
             Some Extra 40mm Rounds
       Night Vision Scope
       Silencer
       Flash Supressor
       Laser Pointer Light
1 - Standard M9 Sidearm
       Laser Pointer Light
1 - IMI Uzi (9mm)
       Extra Ammo. Mags.
       Silencer
       Flash Supressor
       Laser Pointer Light
3 - 'Assault' Pistols
       Hi-Capacity Mags.
       Silencer
       Laser Pointer Light
6 - Extra Grenades

Oh Yeah, and Class IV or Higher Kevlar Body Armor (Weather Permitting) with Rifle/Trauma Plates
View Quote

Will you really need the UZI for CQB around the Chick-A-Filet?  They're closed on Sunday so you might be able to lighten your load.  

Couldn't you get some suppressive fire from the Wicks'n'Sticks?  Then you could launch an attack from J.C. Penny and catch those shop-lifting bastards by suprise!
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:18:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Heres a chart/list:

M203 Grenade Launcher
             Some Extra 40mm Rounds
       Night Vision Scope
       Silencer
       Flash Supressor
       Laser Pointer Light
1 - Standard M9 Sidearm
       Laser Pointer Light
1 - IMI Uzi (9mm)
       Extra Ammo. Mags.
       Silencer
       Flash Supressor
       Laser Pointer Light
3 - 'Assault' Pistols
       Hi-Capacity Mags.
       Silencer
       Laser Pointer Light
6 - Extra Grenades

View Quote

Weather permitting???
I thought the Mall had AC.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:36:51 AM EDT
[#22]
When are you going to be able to stand upright? By my figuring, you're over 80 pounds just in ammo alone. BTW: what is this mags/extra ammo in a jungle configuration thing? Lastly, don't forget the spare batteries  
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:01:02 AM EDT
[#23]
You forgot your Lightsaber, hoverboard, and jetpack...
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:02:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:10:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You forgot your Lightsaber, hoverboard, and jetpack...
View Quote

no s-
better bring a wheelbarrow for the uzi and ammo alone. thems heavy!
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:15:52 AM EDT
[#26]
You guys are way to high speed for me. The standard 20" M-16A2 is all you need for any situation. If you hit a guy at 400 Meters it may not kill him, but he will think twice about shooting back. Having an extra upper is a great idea...but not in combat. Just my $.02

RLTW
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:20:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Lay off the guy.  

The mall is target-rich combat environment with some difficult tactical problems associated with it.

No one said he has to carry everything.  He could cache some ammo at the Kay-Bee toys and use this as his fall-back position after he detonates his claymores.

This is a "defense in depth" and if it was good enough to keep the Soviet Army out of the Fulda Gap then, dammit, it should keep the riff-raff away from the "Gap."
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:21:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get an M4 - the 14.5 is fine for CQB - and you can still get hits to 400m w/ irons and 600m with optics
View Quote

Hits?  Yes, absolutely.  Disabling hits?  Probably not, especially using military ammo.

-Troy
View Quote

Disabling hits?  I am not an expert, but I would guess that if someone got shot they would be more worried about taking care of their injuries rather then trying to get up and fight back.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:31:04 AM EDT
[#29]
UH-OH I think Gus is opening a can of worms...Mall Ninja anyone?
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:31:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:40:02 AM EDT
[#31]
I would never have any need to carry an extra upper for my M16, although it would be nice. I carry an M240G and about 800rounds of ammo and a spare barrel for that, plus 11 30rd M16 mags. More if i am wearing an LBV.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 8:12:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Disabling hits?  I am not an expert, but I would guess that if someone got shot they would be more worried about taking care of their injuries rather then trying to get up and fight back.
View Quote

It's a good thing the Rangers in Somalia didn't have this attitude. You're right. You're not an expert.

A 5.56 wound that doesn't cause tissue disruption because it is going too slow makes a very small hole. Sometimes the swelling of the tissue around the hole will stop the bleeding itself. Unless you got lucky and hit an artery.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 8:18:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I would never have any need to carry an extra upper for my M16, although it would be nice. I carry an M240G and about 800rounds of ammo and a spare barrel for that, plus 11 30rd M16 mags. More if i am wearing an LBV.
View Quote

I'm curious. Why do you carry 11 M16 mags if you are the machine gunner? And doesn't your AG carry your spare barrel bag? How do you carry ammo for your 240 and 11 mags WITHOUT an LBV? That must be some waist you have there. Why are you carrying ammo for your AG? Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 8:21:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

He carries his extra ammo in one of those complimentary strollers they give you at the entrance to the mall.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 8:24:06 AM EDT
[#36]
just my rifle, a scope maybe, a side arm.

two things to always remember KISS and TANSTAFL

keep it simple stupid!
and "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch"
dr buchwald, mirco econ. smc. 1983

steve
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Maybe I'm missing it amongst all the laser's and silencers, (for EVERY weapon?) but don't you carry a knife?  They can come in handy from time to time.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#38]
I just carry my Visa Platinum. It gets the job done...
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Maybe I'm missing it amongst all the laser's and silencers, (for EVERY weapon?) but don't you carry a knife?  They can come in handy from time to time.
View Quote

The uzi and disposable "assault pistols" are fitted with bayonets.

Just what defines an "assault pistol"?
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 9:03:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
- What is you definition of too slow?
View Quote

Less than 2500fps. This is where the bullet doen't even break in two. 2700 fps is the minimum for fragmentation on top of the cannelure break.

Too Slow to fragment? Too Slow to yaw?
View Quote

The 5.56 fmj round always yaws. The base is heavier than the tip.

Humans don't interact well with penetrations - there is more to the human body than 'tissue' lungs are elastic and other than that nasty sucking chest wound do ok but other inelastic organs do not suffer penetration and suffer major damage from 'temporary' cavities - liver, spleen, digestive tract.
View Quote

You could get lucky and make a CNS hit or hit a major artery, but chances are you will have a small entry and exit wound without a lot of bleeding. The 5.56 is not great in FMJ form at long range or out of extremely short barrels.
With decent rounds like 75gr TAP you can accomplish a lot more. Intestinal shots do not usually cause that much immediate damage.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Heres a chart/list:

M203 Grenade Launcher
             Some Extra 40mm Rounds
       Night Vision Scope
       Silencer
       Flash Supressor
       Laser Pointer Light
1 - Standard M9 Sidearm
       Laser Pointer Light
1 - IMI Uzi (9mm)
       Extra Ammo. Mags.
       Silencer
       Flash Supressor
       Laser Pointer Light
3 - 'Assault' Pistols
       Hi-Capacity Mags.
       Silencer
       Laser Pointer Light
6 - Extra Grenades

View Quote

Good luck trying to move.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#42]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Hits? Yes, absolutely. Disabling hits? Probably not, especially using military ammo.
-Troy

600m - 1267 fps - It still is a big OUCH

Tests show that the .223 won't fragment under 2,700 fps, so with a short barrel like 11.5 anything over 40-50 meters is just making .22 sized holes.
View Quote

But, what if you are using BTHP bullets?
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 9:11:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By steve m:

keep it simple stupid!

steve
View Quote

We have a winner, folks!  Someone who makes sense.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#44]

keep it simple stupid!

steve
View Quote

MisQuote..
TANSTAFL was from Robert A. Heinlein..(sometime in the 40 i think)just want to give credit where it was due.
------------------------------------------------

less wieght the better.. if you got a vehicle or base fine...but if your humpin leave some of it behind.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#45]
One of the Vandoo Sgt Maj's got a kill at 872m with C77 ball from a C7A1 (and the velo's at that range are only around 1070)
View Quote

I'd like to hear the rest of that story -- or at least an explanation of what a "Vandoo" is.
[>:/]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

keep it simple stupid!

steve
View Quote

MisQuote..
TANSTAFL was from Robert A. Heinlein..(sometime in the 40 i think)just want to give credit where it was due.
------------------------------------------------
View Quote

Correct - and it was spelled TANSTAAFL.  I believe he also coined TANJ (there aint no justice).

I think both show up in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" - a good read, and possibly in earlier books.

View Quote

YES PLUS A 'THE CAT THAT WLKKS THROUGH WALLS" AND OTHER KNOWN SPACE NOVALS BY NIVEN AND SUCH"/....
EXTRA AMMO RATHER THAN UPPER

Link Posted: 6/21/2001 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Major Murphy:
I'd rather have two weapons.
Extra weight?
What's that?
View Quote

"100 lbs of lightweight gear."
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 1:30:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Mr Beekeepeer , After you add your chow , sleeping gear, e-tool, ruck , etc. you would be falling out within the first couple clicks , leaving someone else to hump out your BS gear , As others have said , get some real world under your belt before you get some real dirt over your head.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top