Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 11:59:48 AM EDT
 If your pistol or rifle were ever confiscated by the police and ballistically registered(like they do with ALL weapons they confiscate as evidence), how would you feel about it after they released it to you?

I don't know about you guys, but I would always feel a little bit uneasy knowing that the only thing standing between me and life in prison is a computer program. I was watching 48 hours last night and they were showing a serologist ,Fred Zanefor the West Virginia State Police who was not even performing DNA matches before going to court and giving false evidence that sent as many as 35 people to life behind bars.

After understanding that sometimes the judicial system is more concerned with steadfast conviction rather than justice, I wonder how you feel about it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Fire lap the barrel, "polish" the bolt face, chamber, and firing pin, and don't worry - it'll now have a completley different signature.

ETA:

Fred Zane and the "Black Magic" cunt both need to be publicly tortured to death.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Fire lap the barrel, "polish" the bolt face, chamber, and firing pin, and don't worry - it'll now have a completley different signature.

Not really the point. The point is it's "in the system" therefore you coming up as a false positive for a "gun crime" could happen.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's "in the system," it's in there with YOUR name on it. Selling it puts it out into the world where you can't keep track of it. They'll be knocking on your door no matter what.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#4]
new barrel
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#5]
but then you come back and state what you've done (with dated receipt of work), and request an independent lab try to match the gun to the crime.

But it's a hassle we'd all like to avoid - I'd sell it with a dated bill of sale (or FFL transfer preferably) if I truly was concerned.

I'm just not sure I'd be concerned, as many things (including not having an alibi) would have to conspire against you for it to be a remote possibility.  I'd probably just keep my gun and grab a different one if the need ever arose.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
new barrel

I thought about that. What about extractor signature?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
new barrel

Then just switch out all components for good measure, the barrel, ejector, do some work on the bolt face, etc.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
new barrel

Then just switch out all components for good measure, the barrel, ejector, do some work on the bolt face, etc.

what he said.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
new barrel

what he said.

+1.  Hell, if it's something nice like a 1911, send it to a smith for a rebuild.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
new barrel

Are worried about one of your casings winding up at a crime scene or one of your slugs winding up in a murder victim...or are you worried about being falsely linked to a murder because your name, caliber and address are in the database making you an easy target?

If it's the latter then not owning the gun anymore and having a bill of sale with the new owner's info, signature and date the gun was sold is the only way around that.

I don't know how much I'd worry about that though, and I am paranoid. I would still think that the prosecution would need to show motive, means and opportunity to get a conviction. If you were across town when the murder was committed and the victim was someone that you wouldn't know from Adam then I don't think you have much to worry about.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Good point, steve.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd toss it out the window of my car on Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'd toss it out the window of my car on Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd.

and report it stolen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top