Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 8:17:11 PM EDT
Anyone who ever watched "The Little Rascals" or "Our Gang" comedies will have seen more than a few episodes where a gang of pre teens go camping in the woods by themselves.

Now I know it was just a show but my Dad recalls he and his friends did the same thing in the 50s and it was rather common. Kids would walk out of town all day long and camp out in the woods over the weekend without any adult supervision.

Personally I respect that level of self reliance in a kid.

Now I know this isn't the same country that it was in the 1940s and 50s. A person would probably be arrested for child neglect if they allowed their kids to do stuff like that today. And with child molestors, serial killers and all manner of neer do wells there is probably a reason kids don't enjoy that kind of personal freedom these days.

But IF you lived in an area and environment like that (impossibly low crime where everyone knew everyone else) would you allow your kids to do stuff like that?

It is kinda my dream to be able to give my kid an upbringing like that.

And yes there are risks, just like there are in life. There were risks even back then. Just seems those kids were better able to deal with them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes I would (though I do not have kids).  I did it all the time as a kid, and I still see kids doing it today around here, in Eastern Oregon.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#2]
No.

HELL no.

Sorry, but we just don't live in a TV world, sad to say.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I was allowed to camp out as long as my tent was in sight of the house when I was a kid growing up in the country. Of course in Illinois farmland, the nearest trees were almost a half mile away, so most camping was done on the berm by the railroad tracks.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd let my son do it, but he is an uncommonly mature 11 yr old.

Ops
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yes I would (though I do not have kids).  I did it all the time as a kid, and I still see kids doing it today around here, in Eastern Oregon.

+1  I would be pretty leery about letting my kids go camping alone though.  Maybe out in the back of our property.  Back when I was a kid it was legal to hunt cougars.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Not in today's world.  Heck, it wasn't safe when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I think i would let them do it.    

But i might be monitoring from afar, playing scout.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Well described thinking, but "No."

Around the hill, in the back 40, etc, yes, but not out of monitoring range.

Rick
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Sure, in my back yard.

Man I wish I could find some Little Rascals on DVD. Epecially that camping one.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  I would be pretty leery about letting my kids go camping alone though.  Maybe out in the back of our property.  Back when I was a kid it was legal to hunt cougars.

I was told by a state police officer the other day that I could shoot as many as I wanted, tag or not.  I should have gotten it in writing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:23:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  I would be pretty leery about letting my kids go camping alone though.  Maybe out in the back of our property. Back when I was a kid it was legal to hunt cougars.

Patty that is somewhat  dishonest.   It is still legal to hunt cougars in Oregon (I have a tag, myself) you just can't use dogs.   I'm sure you know this.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  I would be pretty leery about letting my kids go camping alone though.  Maybe out in the back of our property. Back when I was a kid it was legal to hunt cougars.

Patty that is somewhat  dishonest.   It is still legal to hunt cougars in Oregon (I have a tag, myself) you just can't use dogs.   I'm sure you know this.

You can't get caught  using dogs
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Not only is that a no, it's a HELL NO!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I think i would let them do it.    

But i might be monitoring from afar, playing scout.

I could see doing that.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:34:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Like Patty and Adair already do, I hope to move to eastern oregon (grande ronde valley)  before i have kids or before they are very old.   I used to live near La Grande and think it is some of the best part of Oregon- not the perfect climate, but one i can live with, and a much better political climate than the willamette valley (think portland/ salem/ eugene).   If i lived there, I would let the kids go camping, but they would probably have to take one of the dogs (there are 2x more cougars than a couple of years ago).   In that area i would probably just check up on them a couple of times a day from afar-  it would help me work on my woodcraft and let them have their space.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:34:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'd let my son do it, but he is an uncommonly mature 11 yr old.

Ops

And he has shot more cool weapons at 11 yrs old than I have at 44......
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:35:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't go camping by myself without a firearm (for obvious reasons), and I would not trust an 8-11 year old with a firearm unsupervised (unless it was a dire emergency i.e. the patriot).  

There are far too many bad things/people looking for easy prey.  This isn't the movies.
Matt
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Like Patty and Adair already do, I hope to move to eastern oregon (grande ronde valley)  before i have kids or before they are very old.   I used to live near La Grande and think it is some of the best part of Oregon- not the perfect climate, but one i can live with, and a much better political climate than the willamette valley (think portland/ salem/ eugene).   If i lived there, I would let the kids go camping, but they would probably have to take one of the dogs (there are 2x more cougars than a couple of years ago).   In that area i would probably just check up on them a couple of times a day from afar-  it would help me work on my woodcraft and let them have their space.

Thats where I live now, is in La Grande

I grew up in Baker City though.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I remember getting frustrated as a child who wanted to go hunting, fishing and camping while my dad and younger siblings were glued to the radio on weekends for whatever games were in season.

When I was in 5th grade they finally relented and let me go by myself - probably just to get rid of me . It was about two miles from home to where the hills started. First few times it was day trips then they let me go camping by myself. I think back on that and would never dream of letting my children do that.

NMSight
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:50:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Depends on the kids.
I know some mature kids, I know some childish adults.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:53:37 PM EDT
[#21]
It all depends on where.

Though as was mentioned above, I'd be hard pressed not to be 'camped' just far enough away to protect them.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:57:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
No.

HELL no.

Sorry, but we just don't live in a TV world, sad to say.

+1!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:58:11 PM EDT
[#23]
In the backyard maybe.  But no where away from home.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Thats where I live now, is in La Grande

I grew up in Baker City though.

I used to live in Cove, I remember going camping with 2 other guys up mill creek.    I think we were in 8th grade.   iirc it was just an overnighter.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I wouldnt let my daughter unless I was there or someone I highly trusted.  

Why not supervise ?

Even if the kids want to camp a little ways off ( within visual ) that way they could have their interesting conversations without seeing dad's eyes rolling every few minutes...  

The only thing we had to worry when camping when I was a kid was a bad storm or wild dog packs.

LB
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Camped out a bunch as a young 'un, and it wasn't probably the safest.  We had a neighborhood peeping tom that may have been a serial killer.  Everyone in the neighborhood knew he was sneaking around, breaking into houses.  He burned 3 of my neighbors' houses and shot a kid for being on his property.  This guy disappeared for months at a time, came back home with his truck painted a different color each time.  Booby-trapped yard, FBI raided his house once, and he died under suspicious circumstances.  His house had evidence of illegal activities when I and a couple friends, um, explored it after death & before it was bulldozed.  I learned that navy blue makes decent night camo... after bumping into him one night in the field behind my house.

I don't have kids yet, so won't face this for another 10-ish years.  Knowing how society progresses and how hard we will have worked to have kids?  They'd camp out alone...

And I'd probably have perimeter alarms around the campsite, while sitting watch with NVGs and sufficient armament to neutralize anyone bent on doing harm to them.  I'd like them to feel like they can camp in privacy, but with much safety.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I just posted this on my site in a thread about old pellet guns:

Mine was a Daisy 880 pump I bought from Gemco (remember that place?).  My friends and I would be driven up to "Tampa-land" above Tampa & Rinaldi (Rldgcntr will probably recognize those streets) and dropped-off by our parents on Friday after school.  We would have our backpacks/sleeping bags, pellet rifles, water, stoves and a bit of food.  The entire weekend would be spent shooting every type of game you could think of with nobody around.  Sometimes when we hiked over the mountain to the Santa Clarita side, we would run into some monster Mule Deer and even came across a nudist camp!

My fondest memory was spending a whole week living off the land and the little food we had brought with us over an Easter week vacation.  It was great!

I shot my first dove and quail up there and can still remember it like it happened yesterday.

Now, it is an area filled with houses...  :(

Thanks for bringing back the memories!

-------------------------------------------------

This was in the suburbs of Los Angeles at the north end of the San Fernando Valley.  I would say, teach your kids how and when to use a weapon, make sure he has one with him everytime and don't hesitate to follow your gut if you feel a camping area isn't quite right.

Eric   B)
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:42:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Growing up in M-Town and living not far from the Iowa river I'd go down there every once in a while, camp out for the night or 2 & have a great time.

Then I gradumacated grade school and had to "grow up"

The old water works was a great place to play "war" and camp as long as ya stayed out of the lime pits
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I wonder how much of the "good-ol-days" was due to ignorance-not having the internet, NCIC, databases and good crime-tracking. I look back on some close calls I had as a kid. Someone was watching over me.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#30]
that would be a huge negatory there good buddy.  10-4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top