Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2004 7:02:52 AM EDT
What qualifies as a sport? I would at least say you need to sweat while doing it (sts) or posses hand eye coordination. Why cant they replace these with somethng better to watch?

My top 3 most worthless are:

Equestrian-
Walking-YGBSM
Syn swiming

Any others?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:03:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:10:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Any others?

Anything that cannot be measured.  If it takes a judge to decide how "good" it was, get rid of it.

....and for gods sake, get those men out of the gymnastic routines.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:14:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Synchronized anything.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:20:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
BADMITON

+1

Can any of you name an Olympic badminton champion?  Can you see him on the front of a box of Wheaties???
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:22:11 AM EDT
[#5]
And I'm no expert, but it seems to me that equestrian events rely heavily on the abilities of the horses.  Do the horses get medals?  No, but their passengers do!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:23:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Anything that wasn't a sport(event) 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:24:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Any others?

Anything that cannot be measured.  If it takes a judge to decide how "good" it was, get rid of it.

....and for gods sake, get those men out of the gymnastic routines.

Thank God. I was explaining to someone last night how stupid it is to have subjective events. I think all should be 100% objective and basic. This means running, swimming, throwing, etc.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:25:08 AM EDT
[#8]
sync. swimming and diving
the trampoline
sailing
walking
equestrian (they actually have an event where the horse just dances around!)
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:26:08 AM EDT
[#9]
did any of you see the sailing events? OMG those were horrible....especially the dingy class

also, the fact that their are like 40 different classes seems like a waste of precious metals...

the only one worth watching was the Cat class..
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:27:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I believe that any sport event that requires a panel of judges to determine the winner should be eliminated.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:29:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I saw Water Soccer on this weekend .... what a joke
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:36:01 AM EDT
[#12]
All of em...
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:25:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Anything that has no application to war or survival.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:35:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Anything that has no application to war or survival.

+1!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:39:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I think they need to bring a few events back.
Here are the discontinued shooting sports from the Olympics
Mixed Pistol, Revolver, Duelling Pistol, Automatic Pistol, Army Gun, Full-Bore Rifle, Running Deer, Small-Bore Rifle, Free Rifle, Military Rifle, Live pigeon shooting1896, 1900, 1908, 1912, 1920, 1924, 1928, 1936
They should also bring back Tug of War
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I think the olympic's is Worthless. I've not watched the events since 1980.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BADMITON

+1

Can any of you name an Olympic badminton champion?  Can you see him on the front of a box of Wheaties???

Don't be hatin' just because you yanks suck at it.  ... just kidding ,  but badminton is actually a VERY fast and demanding sport.  It's like a less dorky and much faster version of tennis.  Get rid of tennis before getting rid of badminton, for cryin' out loud!

The really dumb things in the olympics are things like rhythmic gymnastics, and dancing around with ribbons and stuff, and synchronized swimming

... they could also drop that whole baseball thing.  other than the US and Japan (and some banana republic in the Caribbean) NOBODY cares !!!  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Outside of full contact sports, I don't see the point in who can outperform who by 0.00000004 seconds.

* Women's Beach Volleyball is okay though
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:46:40 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Don't be hatin' just because you yanks suck at it.  ... just kidding ,  but badminton is actually a VERY fast and demanding sport.  It's like a less dorky and much faster version of tennis.  Get rid of tennis before getting rid of badminton, for cryin' out loud!

The really dumb things in the olympics are things like rhythmic gymnastics, and dancing around with ribbons and stuff, and synchronized swimming

... they could also drop that whole baseball thing.  other than the US and Japan (and some banana republic in the Caribbean) NOBODY cares !!!  

Oh come on now, the only good thing about badminton is that you get to say "shuttlecock" on live TV.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:47:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Why so many haters?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:48:37 AM EDT
[#21]
My vote is for anything that cant be measured by (non-opinionated) scoring or measuring.
For example:
Soccer, there are rules to determine the score, no trained eye required.
Gymnastics, I love girls in tight outfits as much as any other guy, but no, not a sport.
Skeet, simple to follow rules based solely on number of clays hit out of those possible, sport.
Women's beach volley ball, sport and dont you dare think about eliminating it.
Marathon, a simple stopwatch determines the winner.

Mac120:
Women's double trap wasnt an Olympic sport until 1996 (among other new sports, some good, some bad).  An American has won the gold (same girl) 2 out of 3 times it was offered.

I'd say that was a sport.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Oh come on now, the only good thing about badminton is that you get to say "shuttlecock" on live TV.

Good point!

... In reality, nobody that plays badminton really calls it that - it's just called a "bird"  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:58:40 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why so many haters?

The entire Wimminz Forum is waiting with eager anticipation to ask you the same thing

Ah heck, they mistake truth for hate!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:59:39 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Anything that wasn't a sport(event) 20 50 years ago.

fixed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:59:40 AM EDT
[#26]
ping pong? aka table tennis
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:03:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I think the olympic's is Worthless. I've not watched the events since 1980.

I respectfully disagree that they are worthless.

While a some of the events are kinda of stupid and some are boring, it is the competition and the athletes that matters.   Example, the poor Iraqi boxer who is taken up under the wing of a former boxer who was in Iraq working as an Anerican contractor.  The kid goes all the way to the Olympics and wins his first bout. The women's marathon. The British favorite crashed and burned with 10K to go. An unknown from Japan came out of nowhere to win,  and the US runner beat feet from 12 th place all the way to third in the last 2 miles.   That, boys and girls, is guts and heart!

So what if some athletes are pros, most aren't. So what if some do it to capitalize on their winning, most will never be heard from again.   Sometimes the sport is stupid but sometimes the level of competition pushes the envelope to the greatist limit of human achievment. When that happens, it is an awesome experience.  

Even some of the non measurable sports like gymnastics have some value. IMHO, it is interesting to see someone perform as such a high level. I admit that those sycronized things are somewhat bewildering.  I wish I could find something I was really good at that could be made into an Olympic sport.  Channel surfing, couch potato racing perhaps.

On the other hand, badmitton and table tennis at least have a clear cut winner. Those guys could hand us our asses on a platter.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#28]
I would'nt mind watching a Women's Mud Wrestling Event
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:06:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Like I've said before, in order for an event to be a sport, there must be a component of offense, defense, and physical demand.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#30]
IDPA as an olympic sport...how sweet would that be...
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Tug of War would be awesome!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:09:58 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm with you, Badminton rocks.  I took Badminton in college, thinking it would be a breeze, like we play in the yard at picnics.  Dude, it isn't the same, it is very intense.  It is almost as intense as Raquetball, which I took a couple semesters later.  If you never played it competitively, other than in the yard at a picnic, with a raquet in one hand, and a chicken leg in the other, don't knock it.  It would be like saying what is so great about the rowing competition, I can row my boat across the pond.  There is also a bit of strategy to it, setting up shots with clearing shots, etc.  You need to play it with rules and competitively before you knock it.  When playing doubles at the net, you need the reaction time of a table tennis player, and when playing the back line, you need the arm strength of Agassi to avoid eating the next return shot.  Seriously, you should play it.

I agree with eliminating anything that needs to be judged, especially synchronized swimming.  Yeah, they are talented, but who cares, it's boring.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:10:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Next time there will be an "Olympic Internet Trolling Team." There are a few members on this board.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I'm with you, Badminton rocks.  I took Badminton in college, thinking it would be a breeze, like we play in the yard at picnics.  Dude, it isn't the same, it is very intense.  It is almost as intense as Raquetball, which I took a couple semesters later.  If you never played it competitively, other than in the yard at a picnic, with a raquet in one hand, and a chicken leg in the other, don't knock it.  It would be like saying what is so great about the rowing competition, I can row my boat across the pond.  There is also a bit of strategy to it, setting up shots with clearing shots, etc.  You need to play it with rules and competitively before you knock it.  When playing doubles at the net, you need the reaction time of a table tennis player, and when playing the back line, you need the arm strength of Agassi to avoid eating the next return shot.  Seriously, you should play it.

I agree with eliminating anything that needs to be judged, especially synchronized swimming.  Yeah, they are talented, but who cares, it's boring.

Agree completely.

I think the disdain that many people have for badminton is that they've only ever played the "backyard" version (with the net too high) - and have no experience at all with the real sport.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:18:24 AM EDT
[#35]
<snl reference>  Is male synchronized swimming an event yet?  </snl reference>
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:19:08 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I would'nt mind watching a Women's Mud Wrestling Event

As would every man here.  But have you seen the women who wrestle in the Olympics?  They're not exactly bikini material.  More along the lines of flannel, if you catch my drift.

On a side note, did everyone here already read that the US top shooter lost the gold because he shot at the wrong target?  Nearly lost my breakfast on that one.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agree completely.

I think the disdain that many people have for badminton is that they've only ever played the "backyard" version (with the net too high) - and have no experience at all with the real sport.

agreed.  having watched some of the foreign students play it here in person, it is definately no joke.  looks as hard as raquetball.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
BADMITON

If played properly, shuttlcock/Baminton is a BADASS sport that takes TONS of skill and talent.  I used to play intramurals in college and while I was quite good, the REALLY good players would CRUSH me with drop shots and overall athleticism.  

Table tennis is another one.  I'm pretty good, but the REALLY good players are unbelievable; their spin and speed cannot be touched by mere humans.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:27:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Tug of War would be awesome!

It was in the 1904 Olympics though I think only U.S. Athletes participated in it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Basketball, especially for the U.S.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Basketball, especially for the U.S.

Just take the pros out of it.  We're not winning because they have way too much attitude.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Come on guys, leave me my trampoline.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Anything where it isn't empirically discernable as to who wins.  

Equestrian is fine, provided it isn't judged on form but by getting there fastest and breaking no rules.  There is NOTHING that can make Syncronized Swimming a sport.  For heaven's sake, figure skaters get scored on their freaking OUTFITS.

Weightlifting:  Lift the most.
Sprinting: Who gets across the line the quickest.
Shot Put: Who throws the farthest.
Gymnastics: Who does what judges vote is "most difficult" multiplied by a point structure, multiplied by another judgment on gracefulness or aestetics?  Fall and still win?  Maybe a contest, but not a sport.

I am not saying a lot of the contestants are not athletes - nor that the event does not require athletic abilities (strength, speed, endurance, whatever) - Just that if you need Judges to do something other than monitor the rules, it isn't a sport.  Gymnastics is a perfect example

The fact that half the "sports" in the Olympics are judged on aestetics is ridiculous.

I have the same problem with most of the X-Games events.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#45]
they should add dodgeball
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Now that has the makings of a real sport!

As far as I'm concerned, women's volleyball is the only sport worth watching.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

My perceptions of badminton are based on my experiences in my Uncle's back yard at family cook outs when I was a young lad.  I thought it was much more interesting to see how far I could hit the bird than to keep it inside the boundaries.  It's the rules that interfere with really enjoying some sports!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:08:28 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
BADMITON

+1

Baseball is big throughout much of Easern Asia - not just Japan.  It's damn near the national sport in Korea.

Oh, and in Japan AND Korea, soccer is called SOCCER, not "football" - you dang Eoropeans think the world revolves around your terminology, and too many Europhyllic Americans agree .
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#49]
You should be able to play the sport with a raquet and chicken leg in hand, and after EVERY point a mandatory time out is taken so all players can take a drink of beer (or cocktail) and a couple of drags off a cigarette.

When I smoked I actually had a t-shirt that read, "IF YOU CAN'T SMOKE WHILE YOU'RE DOING IT, IT AIN'T EXCERCISE".

I got it-Olympic Beer Softball!!!!  

ALL players MUST have a beer in hand at all times. Batters must have their beer close at hand and CANNOT run the bases WITHOUT their beer. Player who field grounders will have to set their beer down before throwing to a base, pitchers will have to keep their beer in their glove and are not allowed to field grounders, outfielders are same as infielders-must keep beer in hand while shagging flies, same goes for catcher, and ALL players-regarless of distance ball is hit-MUSTSTOP AT SECOND BASE AND REFILL THEIR BEER FROM THE KEG STATIONED THERE.

Shit, we did this all the time in St. Louis. I could recruit a team from there.

No, wait. We're all45+ and out of shape, even for beer softball. But we'd make a hell of a coaching staff.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#50]
It is time for the Olympics to go Xtreme so replace the O-rings with X's and let’s get something on there that is worth occupying a Television Network Station for a complete day.

Introduce wild animals to the game....

They have a torch...why not include fire pits...

Water traps...

CS Gas...

More Explosions...

Running, that isn't a sport...it is usually a necessity when you do it. Add a few rock slides to the path...now you have a sport.

Swimming is about boring...but add a few high pressure outlets to get the water churning then we might have something.

There is so much skin showing in the Olympics these days that many could be improved by adding some paintball markers to help the judges in punishing the athlete when he/she has a fault???

Well these will never happen so each time the Olympics bless my television I leave my couch of potatoes and go do something far more entertaining........................

Pulling weeds in the yard.

MT
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top