Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2004 1:49:03 PM EDT
Could you imagine what this would do to the economy.  It would be like wiping out an entire industry.  Relate the gun industry to the car industry but on a smaller scale.  

You basically have your raw materials,  manufacturerers, sellers/suppliers, and aftermarket.

Everyone who's involved with the raw materials and manufacturing would suffer huge losses, layoffs, possible bankruptcies of entire companies do to large overhead (unused buildings and equiptment) vs. minimal sales.  Don't forget we would also be talking about ammunition manufacturers.

Then you have your sellers and suppliers.  A gun shop can not afford to stay in business by selling O/U and single shot shotguns, and bolt action .22's.  This would both affect retail giants as well as kill the mom and pops out there.

Aftermarket.  Who needs a gun safe with no guns to put it in.  No need to make more magazines if they're illegal.  Think of all the little odds and ends you see on the shelf that if they were gone, the whole company wouldn't even exist.  

Between the manufacturing/sales/suppliers/aftermarket you are talking 100's of millions of dollars if not near or over a billion per year in revenue.  When that revenue isn't being redistributed through salaries, employment and so forth you're in a world of hurt.  

I would liken it to a ban on fishing, or a ban on golf.  When you ban the poles and you ban the golf clubs just think about how many people lose their jobs due to this chain reaction.  It would take many years, but I think the effects on the economy would be somewhat significant.  It would also effect all of the foreign companies greatly as well.  I imagine that America is probably their number one consumer or buys a large percentage of weapons sold.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:54:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Could you imagine what this would do to the economy.  It would be like wiping out an entire industry.  Relate the gun industry to the car industry but on a smaller scale.  

You basically have your raw materials,  manufacturerers, sellers/suppliers, and aftermarket.

Everyone who's involved with the raw materials and manufacturing would suffer huge losses, layoffs, possible bankruptcies of entire companies do to large overhead (unused buildings and equiptment) vs. minimal sales.  Don't forget we would also be talking about ammunition manufacturers.

Then you have your sellers and suppliers.  A gun shop can not afford to stay in business by selling O/U and single shot shotguns, and bolt action .22's.  This would both affect retail giants as well as kill the mom and pops out there.

Aftermarket.  Who needs a gun safe with no guns to put it in.  No need to make more magazines if they're illegal.  Think of all the little odds and ends you see on the shelf that if they were gone, the whole company wouldn't even exist.  

Between the manufacturing/sales/suppliers/aftermarket you are talking 100's of millions of dollars if not near or over a billion per year in revenue.  When that revenue isn't being redistributed through salaries, employment and so forth you're in a world of hurt.  

I would liken it to a ban on fishing, or a ban on golf.  When you ban the poles and you ban the golf clubs just think about how many people lose their jobs due to this chain reaction.  It would take many years, but I think the effects on the economy would be somewhat significant.  It would also effect all of the foreign companies greatly as well.  I imagine that America is probably their number one consumer or buys a large percentage of weapons sold.

The manufacturers would continue to manufacture and sell EBR, High cap mags, and all of the other stuff that we love so much. They just couldn't sell them to the general public. They would sell them to .gov, local police departments and the like at an inflated price.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#2]
That would be a downer indeed. I would have to make all my own stuff.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought he was pro-gun and a man of the people...

I don't get it...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:03:40 PM EDT
[#4]
i've said it before, and i'll say it hundreds of more times w/i the next 2 months, comrade kerry is as big a threat to the American way of life as al quaida.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That would be a downer indeed. I would have to make all my own stuff.

Until they ban that too...

But in the mean time I'll be pouring over the schematics of an AR-15 lower reciever, thanking myself for investing in a good quality pair of dial calipers, and glad that I have access to a CAD program.

Now, time to buy some milling equipment...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:22:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

i've said it before, and i'll say it hundreds of more times w/i the next 2 months, comrade kerry is as big a threat to the American way of life as al quaida.

Agreed!!

No doubt that is why AQ cockroaches and the Communist party have endosed him - they know if HE wins, THEY win!!

If that happens, it may be time to consider some non-PC things.

ditto
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I couldn't agree more. However, he wouldn't present much of a threat to the economy by killing the gun industry, because there really isn't all that much gun industry to kill:

"Among the key findings was that the United States has more than half the world's gunmakers and leads all nations in the manufacture and export of small arms and ammunition. Yet the industry, with 16,700 workers, contributes only $2 billion a year to the U.S. economy, compared with $28 billion from tobacco, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms." - 56% of world's guns privately owned, report says, July 11 2001 AP/Arizona Republic
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Kerry and the Demo's are still going to have a hard time in the Senate and House.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:17:06 PM EDT
[#10]
If all that happened, I see an armed uprising happening...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If all that happened, I see an armed uprising happening...

Dream on, would never happen.  

Be very careful of what you wish for, you just may get it and not like it
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:04:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I am self employed and will not pay for gov. that does not even try to represent me. comunism is broke before it starts, if you do nothing it will fall. If you do something it falls faster, because it needs me and you to pay the bills. I am not saying to skip your taxes, just make sure you cost more than you pay inhought I'm just feeling optomistic today, if you want my armed resistance rant you'll have to come back later....
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#13]
The antis are going after ammo next...Not the guns.  They will slide n a rider taxing ammo to the point you cannot afford it...
Mark my words.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Kerry and the Demo's are still going to have a hard time in the Senate and House.

if by some miracle kerry were to win, that would mean the SHTF in the battle ground states, which would most likely mean we would lose the Senate and maybe the House
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't you guys know that "Gun Bans" are UnConstitutional.  Anyone that would pass such a ban is a traitor and should be removed from office, with force if necessary.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top