Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/9/2001 9:58:41 AM EDT
I had a friend who could kill with his farts. He would cause the car pool to evacuate in the middle of the street. I liked him but was afraid of him, I never asked him over to my house for fear he would damage a family members nose membranes, or worse, stop their breathing. What is up with some people. There has to be a medical answer to their smelly problem. Ha-choo. Another horrible smell is a unmaintained belly button, some people get them infected because of dirt, stones, lint,or what ever gets stuck in them, so they get it sewed closed. In all the humanities make them stop.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:03:02 AM EDT
[#2]

I waited in a long line
to get to the top of the
Statue of Liberty once.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:16:59 AM EDT
[#3]
The guy standing next to me at the phone company eariler today.

Eddie
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I  sometimes get called to the Regional Forensic Center to service or repair some of their equipment. Occasionally, they will have a ripe floater, or burn vic on the table. It's a toss-up which smells worse. It's not a smell one would EVER forget.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I  sometimes get called to the Regional Forensic Center to service or repair some of their equipment. Occasionally, they will have a ripe floater, or burn vic on the table. It's a toss-up which smells worse. It's not a smell one would EVER forget.
View Quote

A former girlfriend and I were dispatched by her mother to the home of her aunt, a serious alcoholic, whom no one had heard from for about a week.

As soon as I cracked the door open, I sent the GF to the car. The aunt had been dead four or five days. Anyone who's ever smelled that won't soon forget it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:38:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Not sure why you're sniffing belly buttons when there are other more important places..... but.... the absolute worst smell I ever encountered was a drunk I worked with after he had consumed Gennessee Cream Ale and pickled eggs the night before. About a year later he "Got Sober" and seemed to be pissing me off on a fairly constant basis... so I paid him back three-fold after spending the night at my uncle's bar--- drinking Gennessee Cream Ale, eating pickled eggs AND vast quantities of broccoli from the buffet....
Strong enough to have roofers jumping down to the ground below on a construction site
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I hate to drop the atomic bomb of worst smell early in this thread but here goes.

A human body, dead for 11 days in a house with no air conditioning and temeratures hovering around 90 degrees for over a week.

Had one three days ago, a 50 something woman who already was living in filth. Nothing but a pile of maggots, goo and legs. When flies big as big as your thumb coat the inside of the windows you know it's going to be bad.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh yeah, had a whole deer in a freezer at my dad's house that I was going to come back for in a month or so. My brother had just moved back home and without even looking in the damn freezer, just unplugged it. He said that it hadn't been used in years and thought someone accidently plugged it in (ok guys, he lives in Florida... the heat gets to those people). One week later, my dad made the discovery. Freezer and all went in a hole out in the backyard.... whewie, stinky, stinky.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Last year my uncle gut shot a deer.  It managed to run into the THICKEST damn brush on the property.  It took three hours of searching on hands and knees through the brush in 90 degree weather, in Georgia, with blood trail everywhere.  Eventually we found it.  We hung it up to gut it and it was like the deer has managed to swallow a weedwacker at full throttle.  It was the worst damn stench, you could smell it for damn near half a mile down wind.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#10]
#1 Burned rotted flesh is the worst.

My honorable mention is a unmaintained Porta-John, sitting in the sun, at 2:00pm on a 94 degree day.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#11]
The worst smell? God.......

(The 11 day-old body sounds pretty bad Sukebe)

To me, mortuaries & formaldehyde are bad, & I can't believe how bad "surgery" can smell.  Burning flesh is horrible, but I guess everyone knows that.

You wouldn't think fuel could smell bad (I used to like the smell once).
But singed flesh, AND diesel fuel, AND blood, AND burnt steel together is the most horrible thing I've ever smelled.
[i]I know that doesn't make sense,,, guess you had to be there.[/i]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Worst smell?  How about a New York City cabbie in 105 degree weather.   Last year, I got in this guy's cab - so freaking ripe I just backed out of the cab and walked.  Judging by the dense cloud of stink, he just may have had an 11 day old dead body in there.  Lord, what a smell - next to that, mustard gas would have been like Channel #5.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#14]
uuug, I work in a Chemistry Lab and today I was cleaning out the old chemical closet and found a leaking bottle of trimethylacetyl chloride, kindof smelled like a combination of rotting bread dough and human feces all rolled into one.  Thank goodness for nitrile gloves :)

alphabeta121

PS oh ya P-toluenesulfonyl chloride smells very foul too, kind of like feces plus peanuts.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:39:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Worst smells?
Hmmm...
Well, any father or mother posting here knows that the newborn baby's first poop (miconium? Something like that) smells REALLY bad.
Never smelled a dead human body that had been laying around, but dead cows that have been around for a while smell pretty bad.
Personally though, I find chemical smells to be the worst.  After thousands of poop-filled diapers and changing the litter box for two cats for the last eight years, I am nearly inured to the smell of crap, both human and animal.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Dead bodies, maggots, burning flesh....

For me, none of it compares to a truly dire patient's diaphoresis  (the moisture/sweat that really acutely ill folks give off)

I find it very hard to "stay engaged" when the air wreaks of impending human death... It seems to penetrate my gloves as I can even taste it in my mouth...

It must be an acquired taste. I've only met medics and ER staff that seem to notice it, and the ER staff don't spend much time in the back of a hot, confined ambulance...

Give me a nice black/blue colored rotten corpse with creepy crawlies all over any day....

time to hit the candy machine..
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#17]
A mentrating, syphilic skunk dead from consuming spoiled tuna decomposing in the pit of an over used out door toilet at a Hungarian cabbage festival.

Link Posted: 8/9/2001 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#18]
It's a smell I grew acustomed too MedicJim, but it still is a smell that sticks to your skin, and stays in your nose for a while.

That and most memorable the smell of about 30-40 young people severely burnt inside a bar. The smell of burnt flesh/hair and the burnshield gel bandages we apply(has a very disctint menthol like smell.)

Kuiper
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 12:27:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Another horrible smell is a unmaintained belly button
View Quote

Why are you smelling people's belly buttons[:O]

sgb[:D]
View Quote

SGB I am glad you asked that question.lol About 20 years ago I was sitting in my chair and my button felt like it was sore,I stuck my finger in her and pulled out all kinds of shit. The infection smelled so bad I almost died. I shower regularly but never thought of my button as needing special attention. I never fail to wash that baby out good now. My neighbor had the same thing but they sewed his shut. His story made me feel better, sort of, to fix mine just took some elbow grease and a bottle of alcohol.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A mentrating, syphilic skunk dead from consuming spoiled tuna decomposing in the pit of an over used out door toilet at a Hungarian cabbage festival.

View Quote

LOL

A 3 week old corpse, windows closed, heat on, fix'n to explode. X-white guy, now totally black with his eyeballs dripping down face, appendages shriveled, etc.  PeeeeeeeYouuuuuu!

How's about that smell at the dentist when they drill a tooth?  THAT's sicko. [puke]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Third Place: A dude that reeked of reefer who got in my mom's car to fix the wondshield.

Second Place: Burnt hair

First Place: Co-workers beer fart at a construction job I used to work in H.S. My eyes are watering right now just thinking about it.

[puke]

Link Posted: 8/9/2001 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I agree with JDP.  That burning smell of a tooth being drilled is foul!  Always breathe through your mouth.  Guess I know why I haven't been to the dentist in awhile.  Last time he told me I had a few "old" fillings.

One time a farmer in Wisconsin was spreading human waste on his field when I passed by.  Couldn't roll the windows up fast enough and had that odor in the truck for a day afterwards.  Gag reflex hit me and I thought I would hurl![:X*]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Sixtus, you're not the only one with a sick belly button.  I had a patient that struggled all her life to keep it clean.  It would gather dirt and bacteria and get infected.  Well she really got sick and I had to open her belly.  The only thing she was concerned about was that when I was closing her up that I forget to include the belly button.  She woke up the next day sans belly button.  She was in a lot of pain but you should have seen the smile on her face!  

The worst smell by far is dead bowel.  It is the grossest thing imaginable.  Nothing could be worse. A close second was a homeless guy in the ER.  He came in because his feet hurt.  He hadnt taken his boots off in 11 months.  He said you couldnt take your shoes off because they would get stolen in the shelters.  Well we had to peel those babies off with a significant layer of skin. Maggots were feeding on the dead parts and pus was oozing from all the sores.  The smell coated your nostril hairs and I couls smell it for days!  I still feel sick when I catch a whiff of something similar.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#24]
.....The garbage truck at work....has just about everything you can name, in it...especially on a hot day, when it breaks, and the maggots are dripping on your (my) head!!!!.......next is....one of the cleaners at work!....(sometimes he smells LIKE the garbage truck)......apparently has a problem, but has a different RANK oder everyday!....especially worse when it`s 90 and he stands in front of our huge fan (windy wendy).like he did TODAY!!!!!...GROSS...GROSS...GROSS......[puke]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd have to say that I think beer farts - specifically, Guinness farts and [i]weizenbier[/i] farts - are the worst things anyone not in the LE or medical field will smell.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Hmmm...well how about a meat rendering plant in the middle of July in the San Joaquin Valley about 108 degrees outside.Had to pick up some defective equipment and we threw it away as that smell couldn't be cleaned off.(equipment was soaking in solvent)Also when you get behind a truck full of carcasses headed for the plant on the highway you smell it miles before you come up on it on a really hot day.The other foul stench is those damned Forest Service restrooms.Better to do your business behind a tree than to go in one of those putrid things.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I helped my grandfather pull the body of someone who had drowned at a small lake we would fish at. The guy had been gone for three days. That my friends was the worst smell I have come across.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#28]
What about shit burning?  I always read that in Vietnam, burning shit was the worst smell.

Can any Vietnam vets concurr?

Link Posted: 8/9/2001 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Smelled burned shit in the Gulf and it's nothing compared to dead bodies.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Back in my teen years a good friend gathered about a pound of limburgher cheese. (This stuff is RANK when you buy it). Put it in a jar, and kept it for about 2 years. On hot, humid Alabama summer days he would sit the jar out on ths sidewalk in 98 degree weather all day just to help the ripening process. After a few months, it began to turn green & black with a fungus like hairy growth all over it. After 2 years it looked like a rotting tumor from a science fiction movie. He would take the lid off the jar while a towel was wrapped around his face, sit it down outside and run. You could smell it a hundred feet away. One good whiff up close and you would test your gag reflex. Finally he took it to school and planted it in the principal's office with the lid off. He got caught after the evacuation of the school and got into BIG trouble.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Dont know what this guy that works with me has for all of his meals,but when he is on his fart roll he can clear out our intire shop, just cant imagine not being to get to fresh air!
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Thank God I have almost no sense of smell.  I once walked into a porta potty at a construction site and didn't notice any bad smell.  When my wife opened the door to the same potty few minutes later she promptly vomited.    
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#33]
I knew this guy that had farts that would melt plastic. When we would go to fun shows and the aisle got packed he would do biological crowd dispersal by pushing through while crop dusting the area. This worked especially well on those  groups of idiots that always decide to talk in the middle of the aisle, blocking all traffic. The worst time was when he decided to let loose while sitting on my bed. The stench  that saturated into the blankets and sheets was so bad that I had to wash everything. I even had to flip over the matress.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#34]
An oozing, open wound Rectal Cancer.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:34:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Smelling salts, hopefully the worst thing I'll ever smell.  
I'll pass on the dead bodies and such, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:40:09 PM EDT
[#37]
skunks dont smell too good
kinda like burning tires

or a package of sausage that was busted open and sitting at room temp for at least a day or more
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:48:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Generation II airbags.
I bought a new S-10 LS Victory Red, sportside bed, tinted windows, etc. Had just spent an entire day waxing, cleaning the carpet, windows, tires, undercarrige, etc. (It was my first new car). Next day my fiance totals it out when she looked down to pick up a ink pen and hit a telephone pole. Both airbags deployed, saved her ass. But the smell in the vehicle and on her and her clothes, combined with seeing my beloved truck totaled was the worst smell I have ever dealt with.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:55:27 PM EDT
[#39]
I vote for the vaginal yeast infection combined with leftover toilet paper chunks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:02:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Burning flesh.
A cancer eyed cow's cancer eye.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Where I work someone took a piss and shit on friday and did'nt flush and closed the door. 90+ heat When I got there monday-nerve gas! Did'nt know but shit can bubble, I'd bet If I lit a match I would'nt be able to post here tonight.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:20:55 PM EDT
[#42]
I have smelled the burned bodies, the 10 day old decomps, but I would have to agree with the smell terminal pts give off.  Cancer pts I think by far are the foulest smell around.  

However, I did get called to check the well being on a subject who had not picked up his mail for a week. Come to find out he had shot himself with a .22 in the mouth.  He was your typical oozing, maggot, puss, yuck, black white guy.  Heck I didn't even have to open the door to his house to confirm he was DRT!  

Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:24:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I hate to drop the atomic bomb of worst smell early in this thread but here goes.

A human body, dead for 11 days in a house with no air conditioning and temeratures hovering around 90 degrees for over a week.

Had one three days ago, a 50 something woman who already was living in filth. Nothing but a pile of maggots, goo and legs. When flies big as big as your thumb coat the inside of the windows you know it's going to be bad.
View Quote

I'll bet you smile ALL the way to work everyday, don't you?[:X*]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 5:15:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Central Japan (The Kanto Plains), on a real warm Spring afternoon with no breeze...a day or so after the farmers have spread a year's worth of saved human fecal matter all over their fields...[puke]  No livestock for fertilizer production over there...don'tcha know...  
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 6:28:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What about shit burning?  I always read that in Vietnam, burning shit was the worst smell.

Can any Vietnam vets concurr?

View Quote

I can, our shithouses had cut off 55 gallon drums under each hole. When they would fill up, the Vietnamese shit detail would use a metal hook to pull them out and pour diesel fuel over the shit and burn it. Always had to check wind direction when they were burning. Vietnamese had their own shithouses, and because of their diet of fish, soy, and what ever, they could sure make it stink. I would take a different route just to avoid them, they were lethal.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 7:53:57 AM EDT
[#46]
ARDOC is cheating...he added "visual effects"..

my counter...

One day, we got called to a "welfare check gone wrong" in an apartment building.  The PD walked up to the door, took a whiff and decided they couldn't work up the strength to force the door (yeah, right....wimps).

They called the FD to force the door and (me + partner), the medic unit, to pronounce the victim....

The FD guys decided to be "witty" and forced the window instead of the door... while walking past what he thought was a body.. in order to unbolt the door, she moaned and reached out to him....

He came out that door white as a ghost...I guess she scared the big, brave rescue guy but good (grin)

The patient was an elderly, obese woman with diabetes that had been in the 90-100 degree apartment for days...she had been unable to get up to call for help... you can imagine the mess just from normal body functions...

The bonus was when we tried to start an IV... her arms were apparently rotting and full of little white crawly things...there were black flying bugs as well...

ripped the first vein longitudinally as it was somewhat weakened from the rotting...It occurred to me that this was not exactly a sterile site about the time the vein failed...

We eventually did an external jugular...

Joy was had by all as we managed to rate one of the few ambulances in the city without AC on our fifteen minute ride to the ER...

The doc was equally pleased with our little find, of course, he didn't have to go in the ambulance or the apartment...that didn't keep him from whining...

note - I have one story that is better, but I'm holding back to see if I need to use "nukes"....
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 7:59:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Thank God I have almost no sense of smell.  I once walked into a porta potty at a construction site and didn't notice any bad smell.  When my wife opened the door to the same potty few minutes later she promptly vomited.    
View Quote

Maybe that's cuz that smell wasn't there before you got there, but WAS there after???

[}:D]

Link Posted: 8/10/2001 8:22:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Most of the examples I was planning to cite have been used: 11-day-deaders, drowners, burned-uppers.

Those of us in the Business will recognize the following:

A.  Disimpacted bowel with rectal bleeding (shitblood).
B.  Incontinence of bladder and bowel with gas gangrene of the lower leg. Throw in the obligatory maggots, of course. Allow three days to age properly.
C.  Necrotic eye.

This is why I carry a gas mask (easier to clean than a full SCBA) and a disposable coverall with booties in my warbag.

Breathe deeply!!!!!!!!!! SSSNNNNNNNNIIIIIFFFFFF, ahhhhhh...[puke]

P3[pyro][^]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top