Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2003 1:02:44 PM EDT
I have a small amount of compost that has a nice collection of worms in it.

I keep it damp, with the top being not quite dry and the bottom kinda soggy.

I have been turning it about once a week  & mixing it all up from top to bottom.

Usually I find the worms in bunches near the bottom.

How often is good for this?  

And am I getting the moisture about right?

Anything else I should toss in?  

Now it gets food scraps (not much meat) sometimes some citrus, egg shells, bad milk, etc.

Anything to avoid?

The wroms seem very tolerant of what I'm doing now.  Looking forward to taking a bunch to the fishin' hole.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 12:23:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Night crew?  What do you think?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 12:26:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Sound slike it working- they need food, air circulation and an abscence of heat.

Ref wigglers or night crawlers?? Red wigglers are supposed to be better for bins. The worm 'pellets' are great fewrtilizer/soil conditioner.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:13:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like you've got it right. Google searches will turn up a wealth of info, but if you're a traditionalist, look for a copy of a book called "Let it Rot". IIRC, it's mainly about compostimg, but there are a few mentions of using worms as well.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 3:54:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Consider raising a few rabbits..  you'll have more worms than you can handle
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#5]
things to put in vermiposting/ composting piles:
anything uncooked, fruit or vegtable.  egg shells are ok, but avoid meat (and milk)  my brother has some tubs with the red wiggler variety, they are eating newspaper and what ever veggies he throws in there.  carrots and potatoes help if you shred them, if you really want to feed them
I've heard the worms get in bunches to procreate, and if you are worm composting you don't really need to turn your pile (it also disturbs the orgy)  water all you want till the worms start to float to the surface, then water 20% less  
avoid citrus, it doesn't really do anything
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top