Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2009 8:47:30 AM EDT
Trust me, I know how amazingly stupid that sounds but some really strange things have been happening to me online recently.  I wanted to know if anyone else has had anything strange happen.  If I'm the only person this is happening to then I have to assume that something is wrong with my xbox.

I'm running across players who are invincible.  I followed an opposing player around for a full minute the other day and dumped two magazines into him and nothing happened.  The little "x" was there saying I was hitting him but he never died.  When he turned around an saw me he shot me dead.  At the end of the match the players ratio as 62 kills to 5 deaths.  I haven't gotten two magazines into any other players, but I've watched the kill camera after, and my bullets just aren't touching them.  I've also had several players just turn around and literally run away from my bullets.  The turned and ran and my bullets no longer affected them.  Trust me, the were not out of range.

My bullets don't seem to be effective anymore.  Unless I empty the magazine, they don't die.  I've started shooting snipers in the back with a Thompson and they have survived long enough to turn around, line me up, and kill me.  They weren't even using Juggernaut. The kill camera shows them going red and being hit but they still manage to kill me.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Trust me, I know how amazingly stupid that sounds but some really strange things have been happening to me online recently.  I wanted to know if anyone else has had anything strange happen.  If I'm the only person this is happening to then I have to assume that something is wrong with my xbox.

I'm running across players who are invincible.  I followed an opposing player around for a full minute the other day and dumped two magazines into him and nothing happened.  The little "x" was there saying I was hitting him but he never died.  When he turned around an saw me he shot me dead.  At the end of the match the players ratio as 62 kills to 5 deaths.  I haven't gotten two magazines into any other players, but I've watched the kill camera after, and my bullets just aren't touching them.  I've also had several players just turn around and literally run away from my bullets.  The turned and ran and my bullets no longer affected them.  Trust me, the were not out of range.

My bullets don't seem to be effective anymore.  Unless I empty the magazine, they don't die.  I've started shooting snipers in the back with a Thompson and they have survived long enough to turn around, line me up, and kill me.  They weren't even using Juggernaut. The kill camera shows them going red and being hit but they still manage to kill me.

Come see us in the War gaming forum.

Yes, people do cheat.  All of us at some point in time have experienced what you are talking about.  Shit like that happens on a nightly basis, and we constantly complain about it.  It's FAR more than a simple (or even programmable) "Lag Switch", but none of the Arfcom crew (close to 100 of us) have ever been able to figure out how it is done.

Shit happens sometimes I guess.

If I had to guess, and this is a far fetched guess, that the majority of the "Advanced cheaters" either work for Microsoft, or the game's developer. I would say that the vast majority of the players in the "Top 100" of any game type are the "Advanced Cheaters".  Part of the reason I believe this is that if it was just some sort of "hack", it would be all over the internet, and would be seen in other games like COD4.  You almost NEVER see it in COD4, which leads me to believe that it requires some sort of developers console, or proprietary software to do.  

Do you ever look at the top players scores on the leader boards?  They are like "12932587475308475908327450983745092874350983274502 wins"  Don't you think that if those guys didn't work for the company........ those errors would have been corrected during one of the 15 updates they have had by now?

Food for thought.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Its alot more common to see cheaters on the PC playing cod4 and WaW, but there is definitely still cheaters on the consoles. Looks at the top scores list..you will see the legit/cheater line..its pretty obvious.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:02:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I had looked at the top scores before.

I knew there were people out there who had seriously modified both the software and hardware of there systems it just recently I seem to be running into it a lot more.  I was starting to thing there was something wrong with my system but all the other games I have work fine.

Thanks for the responses.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I knew there were people out there who had seriously modified both the software and hardware of there systems it just recently I seem to be running into it a lot more.  I was starting to thing there was something wrong with my system but all the other games I have work fine.

#1: It is supposedly "Impossible" to modify the software on the 360, and still have it connect to the game server.  I tend to believe this, as if it wasn't there would be A LOT more of it and you would see the same sites that advertise "modded controllers" selling it as well.  That's why I believe that the BEST cheaters, are the guys who actually made the game....... or their close friends.  I'm sure there is an "Authorized" (as in the servers are told to "accept changes from this disc") developers version of the game, that allows them to change things around and "try" them out in real time to see if they work with Live.   If I came across this, I would copy it and have fun with it as well.......and give it to all my boys.  

#2:  You are correct that there has been an upswing of serious cheating, and general lag switching over the past week and a half.  Things were really really quiet in that regard for a few months, and I was even starting to believe that the cheaters got bored and moved on, or they had made some tweaks to the game to make it harder.  But, I guess I was wrong and they are back.   Maybe it is the effect of college kids going back to school, and the knowledge of how to "pull it off" spreads around campus's quickly.

Who knows.

SN here is the same as my gammer tag.  Add me in and I'll introduce you to the rest of the Arfcom crew.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I had something like that happen to me on Modern warfare. But they could fly and no matter how mant time i shot them (M249 w/ stopping power) they wouldnt die. There was 2 of them and all there shots were headshots. I filed a complaint but im sure nothing came of it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to play a Flying game called Fighter Ace. Every now and again we would get some guy that came in that had a Sattelite hook up. He would fly around and rape the shit out of your base and you could fill him with Pages of hits and nothing but wasteing your ammo would happen. Luckily the Mods would suggest they leave once they found out what type of connection they had.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I had something like that happen to me on Modern warfare. But they could fly and no matter how mant time i shot them (M249 w/ stopping power) they wouldnt die. There was 2 of them and all there shots were headshots. I filed a complaint but im sure nothing came of it.

That's just a glitch in the map.  

"Technically" it's cheating, but not in the sense that they did anything special other than knowing where to get into the glitch.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's just a glitch in the map.  

"Technically" it's cheating, but not in the sense that they did anything special other than knowing where to get into the glitch.

Huh didnt know that. I knew there are glitchs that let you get on the outside of the map. Every once in awhile i see someone running around out there or i see my own teammates doing it, either way I always kill them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:46:30 AM EDT
[#9]
You almost NEVER see it in COD4

I do on PS3, there was some clown who within the first few minutes of a game had 7kills and 0 deaths... Nobody else had killed anyone. By the end he had died 3 times and had 40+ kills. Happened in the 2nd game too, which I quit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Lag can get you bad man.  The only cheat that there is is a lag switch.  If someone is the host and they have a wicked internet connection you are toast unless you get one hell of a drop on them.  I used to play CoD4 constantly and one of our team leaders played on a DS3 line or some crap like that.  He was always picked as the host by the system.  His K/D ratio was like 7/1.  He was ranked like 1300 or something on the stats.  I remember popping into games on the wrong team and trying to kill him.  He would get me about 10 times before I got him once by luck.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Yep, I see it all the time on COD4 on PS3.  More so of glitchers than anything.  It really takes the fun out of the game for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come see us in the War gaming forum.

Yes, people do cheat.  All of us at some point in time have experienced what you are talking about.  Shit like that happens on a nightly basis, and we constantly complain about it.  It's FAR more than a simple (or even programmable) "Lag Switch", but none of the Arfcom crew (close to 100 of us) have ever been able to figure out how it is done.

Shit happens sometimes I guess.

If I had to guess, and this is a far fetched guess, that the majority of the "Advanced cheaters" either work for Microsoft, or the game's developer. I would say that the vast majority of the players in the "Top 100" of any game type are the "Advanced Cheaters".  Part of the reason I believe this is that if it was just some sort of "hack", it would be all over the internet, and would be seen in other games like COD4.  You almost NEVER see it in COD4, which leads me to believe that it requires some sort of developers console, or proprietary software to do.  

Do you ever look at the top players scores on the leader boards?  They are like "12932587475308475908327450983745092874350983274502 wins"  Don't you think that if those guys didn't work for the company........ those errors would have been corrected during one of the 15 updates they have had by now?

Food for thought.

Mike

It's probably a hack and it's out there.

But it's way over a lot of people's heads.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You almost NEVER see it in COD4

I do on PS3, there was some clown who within the first few minutes of a game had 7kills and 0 deaths... Nobody else had killed anyone. By the end he had died 3 times and had 40+ kills. Happened in the 2nd game too, which I quit.

I did that the other night

It's not all that uncommon, especially on COD4; sometimes you just get lucky.

But when you see someone go 60+ (unless it's on shipment) when everyone else is no more than 30, it can make me raise an eyebrow.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:30:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lag can get you bad man.  The only cheat that there is is a lag switch.  If someone is the host and they have a wicked internet connection you are toast unless you get one hell of a drop on them.  I used to play CoD4 constantly and one of our team leaders played on a DS3 line or some crap like that.  He was always picked as the host by the system.  His K/D ratio was like 7/1.  He was ranked like 1300 or something on the stats.  I remember popping into games on the wrong team and trying to kill him.  He would get me about 10 times before I got him once by luck.

ORLY?

http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/call-duty-5-modding/

Yes, they can be modded.  How much of that can carry over to multi-player is the question.  Look at the leader boards "A Lag Switch" isn't going to get you a trillion kills like the top 5 or 6 guys have.

As far as ranked 1300 goes, almost all of the regular Arfcom WaW crew is ranked sub 1000 in hardcore war.  I am ranked 280, and GR8WHYT is ranked 180...... Some guys are really good, it happens; but it's the ones that kill you after you hit them in the face with a noob tube twice that make you go "hummmm"
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:40:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Maybe I've become a lot less tolerant, but I find myself sending feedback or reporting someone at least once a night (CoD4 360). If my mediocre playing skills can manage to get all the golden guns, and unlock every achievement and most of the multiplayer challenges without the use of a glitch or mod, then I have no problem dropping a dime to XBL on those who feel the need to screw it up for the rest of us.

Time to switch to decaf, I guess.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Maybe I've become a lot less tolerant, but I find myself sending feedback or reporting someone at least once a night (CoD4 360). If my mediocre playing skills can manage to get all the golden guns, and unlock every achievement and most of the multiplayer challenges without the use of a glitch or mod, then I have no problem dropping a dime to XBL on those who feel the need to screw it up for the rest of us.

That's just called "Not prestige-ing"

Come on, it builds character.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

#1: It is supposedly "Impossible" to modify the software on the 360, and still have it connect to the game server.  I tend to believe this, as if it wasn't there would be A LOT more of it and you would see the same sites that advertise "modded controllers" selling it as well.  That's why I believe that the BEST cheaters, are the guys who actually made the game....... or their close friends.  I'm sure there is an "Authorized" (as in the servers are told to "accept changes from this disc") developers version of the game, that allows them to change things around and "try" them out in real time to see if they work with Live.   If I came across this, I would copy it and have fun with it as well.......and give it to all my boys.  

#2:  You are correct that there has been an upswing of serious cheating, and general lag switching over the past week and a half.  Things were really really quiet in that regard for a few months, and I was even starting to believe that the cheaters got bored and moved on, or they had made some tweaks to the game to make it harder.  But, I guess I was wrong and they are back.   Maybe it is the effect of college kids going back to school, and the knowledge of how to "pull it off" spreads around campus's quickly.

Who knows.

SN here is the same as my gammer tag.  Add me in and I'll introduce you to the rest of the Arfcom crew.

It is definitely possible on the console.  I have seen it first hand.  It is a good way to get your Live account locked if caught.  But I doubt that catching them is a high priority.  All it takes is a pc, data transfer cable, the right program, and an existence pathetic enough to drive someone to do it...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not this close to ODST's release date, which I expect to keep me busy until MW2 comes out. If I ever pick up CoD4 again in the future, I want to have all the toys at my disposal, not to have to start all over again after finally getting my classes set up just how I want them.
ETA: I haven't had this game for more than a year, maybe I'll try prestiging with MW2, since I'll be getting it at the same time as everyone else.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I do it constantly.  If someone glitches and hides under the creek, I definitely report them.  I probably report 5 or 6 people a night, and leave negative feedback.  It might not go anywhere, but at least it helps ensure that I won't have to play against them in the future.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ORLY?

Yes, they can be modded.  How much of that can carry over to multi-player is the question.  Look at the leader boards "A Lag Switch" isn't going to get you a trillion kills like the top 5 or 6 guys have.

As far as ranked 1300 goes, almost all of the regular Arfcom WaW crew is ranked sub 1000 in hardcore war.  I am ranked 280, and GR8WHYT is ranked 180...... Some guys are really good, it happens; but it's the ones that kill you after you hit them in the face with a noob tube twice that make you go "hummmm"

I was referring to CoD4.  I have limited experience with WaW.  He was ranked in the 1000's on all modes.  AKA he played too damn much xbox!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#21]
PC > consoles for FPS

Except for in this regard.  Hacking on a PC is so much easier that so many more people do it.

Then again, it gives everyone a chance to complain about you.  I played competetive Counter-Strike for a long time.  I was damn good.  I would go into pubs and start dominating people and get banned for cheating almost every single time.  Oh well.  The advantages of a mouse and keyboard far outweigh the disadvantages of someone being able to cheat.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ORLY?

Ive seen people get banned on xbox360 for using lag switches there easy to catch.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:18:43 PM EDT
[#23]
i report 3 or 4 cheaters a night.

it might not do anything but it calms me down for a while and if you have ever played COD 4 or W@W with me you know i can get loud when the lag-switching /  modded xbox cheating starts.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not this close to ODST's release date, which I expect to keep me busy until MW2 comes out. If I ever pick up CoD4 again in the future, I want to have all the toys at my disposal, not to have to start all over again after finally getting my classes set up just how I want them.
ETA: I haven't had this game for more than a year, maybe I'll try prestiging with MW2, since I'll be getting it at the same time as everyone else.

The more I prestige, the more I realize what's important and what's not.  "Perks" like "Slight of hand", "bomb squad", and "UAV Jammer" are important..... what guns you are using matters very little.  YMMV......... I just like making my e-dick bigger.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ORLY?

Ive seen people get banned on xbox360 for using lag switches there easy to catch.

Maybe the "Manual" ones are, but the programmable "router" type are not.  If they were easy to catch, it wouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#26]
OH man, where have you guys been?
People have been online cheating since forever.
Total assholes. Mostly 14 year old punks who have like self esteem problems or whatnot. I mean come on, cheat on your taxes, cheat on your wife, but cheat on a video game?? Totally pointless. It's not like you win anything or get a prize.
Back in 2000 i used to play Counterstrike and at best i could get even after many hours of play was a 1-1 kill ratio.
Then they introduced a great anti cheat proggie. Like 50% of the players were getting kicked off. then my ratio magically went to 5 to 1.
Its a lot better now that companies have introduced really good anti cheat measures like VAC. plus LIFE TIME FUCKING BANNING. depends on the game and the company that runs the game. both Quake wars and Left 4 dead are pretty devoid of cheaters.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Total assholes. Mostly 14 year old punks who have like self esteem problems or whatnot. I mean come on, cheat on your taxes, cheat on your wife, but cheat on a video game?? Totally pointless. It's not like you win anything or get a prize.
Back in 2000 i used to play Counterstrike and at best i could get even after many hours of play was a 1-1 kill ratio.
Then they introduced a great anti cheat proggie. Like 50% of the players were getting kicked off. then my ratio magically went to 5 to 1.
Its a lot better now that companies have introduced really good anti cheat measures like VAC. plus LIFE TIME FUCKING BANNING. depends on the game and the company that runs the game. both Quake wars and Left 4 dead are pretty devoid of cheaters.

VAC doesn't work nearly as well as advertised.
Public servers are not a display of skill in the game.
Old school WON banning was tight, and worked well...but then the hacks got more advanced

Aimbotting, wall hacking, ESP hacks....all ridiculous and you look like a giant douche if you use them.  I RAAAAAAAAGE at hackers but it doesn't do any good.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The more I prestige, the more I realize what's important and what's not.  "Perks" like "Slight of hand", "bomb squad", and "UAV Jammer" are important..... what guns you are using matters very little.  YMMV......... I just like making my e-dick bigger.

I know exactly what you mean (when I spent about 6 weeks getting through campaign on Veteran and beating Mile High Club just for bragging rights). When I said 'toys' I was referring to perks and weapon accessories (silencers, red dots, etc) that I use constantly. And, it's always fun to blast people with the golden shotty!

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Old school WON banning was tight, and worked well...but then the hacks got more advanced

Aimbotting, wall hacking, ESP hacks....all ridiculous and you look like a giant douche if you use them.  I RAAAAAAAAGE at hackers but it doesn't do any good.

A good number of us have believed that these exist for a while, but have never been able to find ANY reference online about them, or to how they work, or where they are obtained.

I was there for counterstrike....... trust me I know how ghey it was.  It's why I'll never play a multiplayer game on a computer ever again.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#30]
they are probably using an exploit, don't know what... thank god for PC where you can run your own server and boot these cockfags
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A good number of us have believed that these exist for a while, but have never been able to find ANY reference online about them, or to how they work, or where they are obtained.

I was there for counterstrike....... trust me I know how ghey it was.  It's why I'll never play a multiplayer game on a computer ever again.

I don't see (knowing how aimbot works for PC games) how one could hack a PS3/360 game to work with an aimbot.  Maybe it's possible, but who knows.  I do know that on the few times I have played console FPS' recently, I do sometimes feel like there is something close to aimbot out there - but not quite.  I don't know how to put my finger on it really.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see (knowing how aimbot works for PC games) how one could hack a PS3/360 game to work with an aimbot.  Maybe it's possible, but who knows.  I do know that on the few times I have played console FPS' recently, I do sometimes feel like there is something close to aimbot out there - but not quite.  I don't know how to put my finger on it really.

Well, not knowing how any Aimbot works my opinion on the matter may be complete crap.  BUT...... COD4 and WaW already have a little "Aimbot" built in.  It's called "Aim Assist", and it helps drag your rifle on target ever so slightly when sighting in on an enemy.  Most experienced players turn it off because it is an annoyance.  It is FAR more pronounced in campaign mode, where all you have to do is sight up over and over again to switch between enemies.  Maybe, someone has figured out a way to expand upon the multi player "aim assist"?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top