Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2006 9:04:39 AM EDT
Anyone else have family that was taken Prisoner of War in World War II? My great uncle was POW in Stalag IVB in Germany till the end of the war and I thought I'd post some pictures of the time.

Campaign Map of 36th Infantry

Stars and Stripes from summer of 1944

Great uncle with Wife (prior to leaving for the war I assume)

Western Union Telegram - informing his wife that he is Missing in Action in France

Memo from Nazis informing US of his Capture

His Purple Heart (which was earned - not a John Kerry "medal")

Stalag IVB German POW dogtag

Somewhere in Eastern France prior to capture by Germans

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#1]
My dad spent 13 months in Stalag Luft 3 after being shot down. He flew B-17's with 97th Bomb Group, 15th Air Force in Italy. Got his Purple Heart for breaking his ankle on landing in his parachute. Landing in the middle of a battalion of Waffen SS that is.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Cool pics!
Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#4]
My father was shot down while bombing the Ploesti Oil Fields, bailed out and spent 4 months in a POW camp.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My father was shot down while bombing the Ploesti Oil Fields, bailed out and spent 4 months in a POW camp.

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=210&iGalleryUnq=1324&iImageUnq=40406

Very cool pic!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Tag!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Father In Law...30th Division...Captured Mid April 1945...in Elbenau Germany...Interred Stalag 3a Luckenwalde. Liberated by the Russians and later re-interred by the Russians.

He will be 80 this year
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool pics everybody!

J_Smith, interesting that your uncle's capture note is in French and not German. F'n Vichy French. The worst of the lot.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#9]
My old man served in the Italian army captured in Libya February 1941 by ANZAC troops, survived a forced march to Alexandria, Eygpt, according to my Dad about 40% of the Italians did not survive the 2 week march, there were over 130,000 troops captured. He was stuffed into a transport ship to cross the Suez standing up holding on to the guy next to him where he was transported to Bangalore, India till he was repatriated back to  Italy in 1946. When they gave him his back pay for all the time spent he thought he had bought the farm alive only to find out with wartime inflation it was about $60US, that's what happens whenyou are the losing side.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top