Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2001 5:42:44 AM EDT
Since my hero Imbroglio hasn't posted this yet...

From News Services
Thursday, June 28, 2001

World Court: U.S. execution of German unlawful

The International Court of Justice, the United Nations' highest judicial tribunal, ruled Wednesday that the United States broke international law in the 1999 execution of a German national. The court also declared for the first time that interim decisions it issues are binding.

Wading into two emotional issues, the U.S. death penalty and U.S. reluctance to bow to international bodies, the 15-member World Court effectively claimed influence over the U.S. legal system. The 14-1 decision delighted European opponents of capital punishment and seemed certain to infuriate Americans who feel international organizations and treaties intrude on U.S. sovereignty.

The case grew out of the murder convictions of brothers Karl and Walter LaGrand, who moved to the United States from Germany in 1967 but never gave up German nationality. They were convicted of the 1982 killing of an Arizona bank manager.

Karl LaGrand was executed first. Then, 27 hours before Walter was to go to the gas chamber, Germany sued in the World Court, alleging the brothers were denied access to German consular officials after their arrest. The court asked for a postponement, but LaGrand was executed.

Interpreting the binding power of its orders for the first time, the World Court said the 1999 demand "was not a mere exhortation" but "created a legal obligation for the United States."

Link Posted: 6/28/2001 5:51:25 AM EDT
[#1]
[>(]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 6:06:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Let's see them come here and enforce those decisions. It's crap like this that makes me think the world is far overdue for a major conflict.

Link Posted: 6/28/2001 6:11:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Uh...the world courct can eat the peanuts out of my shit.

Literally.

Link Posted: 6/28/2001 6:41:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought we settled this kind of crap a little over 200 years ago.

besides, if it wasn't for the nasty ole US, they all would be speaking German over there right now.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:00:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:44:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 11:07:55 AM EDT
[#7]
The fact of the matter is that in this one case, the US did screw up - but it was really more of an obscure technicality - since their german "citizenship" was somewhat ambiguous since they had lived in the US almost their entire lives, I believe. Had it been two german tourists, or two german engineers working here on a visa, I have no doubt they woudl have been immediately allowed to call the embassy.
View Quote

They had been here for years...they murdered and were convicted. Had they requested contact with their embassy, they would have gotten it. These were a couple of thugs that were guilty of murder. If American's had done the same thing...I would be the first to say tuff sh*t!

For example...the American kid in Singapore who got caned for vandalism...TUFF SH*T kid

Marines raping japanese girl...TUFF SH*T boys!

That's not the point...It is a "WORLD COURT" ruling on OUR justice system...Who appointed the world court justices? I don't know, do you?

I am certainly not advocating isolationalism, but we should stay out of their business and they should stay out of ours.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 11:08:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
As long as none of you will complain when a US citizen gets arrested and executed in Saudi Arabia or something

no one in the US should complain if other countries stop giving US citizens the same right.
View Quote

Fine with me!! I dont need to go anywhere but the good ol USA!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top