Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/13/2011 11:55:45 PM EDT
Went to the gym tonight, and I saw two assholes working out shirtless, going from bench to bench, station to station sweating all over everything.

This *MIGHT* be acceptable if I was lifting in a place like "Satan's Hardcore, Underground, Rusty Bar, Blood, Shit, and Guts, 24 Hour Gym", but I workout at a 24 hour Globogym. These skinny assholes were doing fruity shit like hitting each other in the abs and shouting words of encouragement while doing leg lifts. Short of them sucking each other off and playing with each other's "muscle milk", I don't think it could have been much worse. Eventually, one of the staff came over and was like, "Ok, guys...you really need to wear shirts" and they were super sad.

Seriously, even if you are the most swole motherfucker in the place, there is no reason to lift without a shirt on. It's gross, unsanitary, and you look like a shithead.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 11:57:01 PM EDT
If you're worried about germs... a public gym is not for you
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 11:59:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 80FL:

I've survived so far. However, I do prefer when people take some precautions from spreading ringworm and other nasty shit by wearing some clothes.

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 12:00:09 AM EDT
Don't be a pussy. It's just sweat.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 12:00:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 80FL:

True. But it's gym etiquette –– just like it is to wipe down the bench/machine you just finished using.  People that don't wipe down their sweat afterward irritate me, just common courtesy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 12:01:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2011 12:02:58 AM EDT by poink]

Originally Posted By Russm:

Some guy comes and uses the bench/roman chair/whatever with no pants on, I doubt you would be so free spirited.

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 12:19:03 AM EDT
A shirt doesnt stop sweat from getting on the equipment.

I agree it is nasty, but I would carry a towel and some alcohol if I felt that strongly about it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 1:21:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TZapp:

I agree it is nasty, but I would carry a towel and some alcohol if I felt that strongly about it.

This.  They should've been wearing shirts for sure but I use the wipes my gym has stationed around most of the machines.  Nut you are fooling yourself if you think those shirts are helping much.... Or pants for that matter
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 1:25:34 AM EDT

+1

Shirtless is pretty lowbrow, but gyms are dirty by nature. If it bothers you that much, disinfect everything yourself.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 1:26:37 AM EDT
I always wear a shirt at the gym, but I never wear pants/shorts.

I'm pretty sure people are jealous of my physique, because I get a lot of looks.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 1:36:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By codyXdeath:

I'm pretty sure people are jealous of my physique, because I get a lot of looks.

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 1:41:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 1:44:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By osprey21:

Then again, maybe they've never seen anything that small before.  

It only looks like that because my quads are so huge.  Everything in that area looks small by comparison.

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 2:13:53 AM EDT

I love porky pigging it when i go to the gym.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 2:20:36 AM EDT
I'd don't care if it's Arnold back before he got fat, I just don't want to see a bunch of sweaty dudes walking around shirtless.  The gym is gay enough as is.

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 2:51:35 AM EDT
I can't stand the guys that do show off shit like that. Here's a few for ya:

I work out in an on post gym, pretty nice machines, and it's free, which can't be beat, but I have to contend with some nutty assholes.

First one's not so bad, but hes just funny. He wears the t shirt his recruiter gave him "GOARMY.COM" on a tan t shirt, his dog tags hanging out and cut off ACU shorts. If I had to guess he graduated basic a month or so ago. He's the epitome of douchebag. he doesn't work out really, he wears the same shit, every time, attempts to chat it up with the girls who either ignore him, or publicly blow him off and maybe squeezes in a few minutes to bench an empty bar or so. "Dude, you're on an army post. Everyone here is either in the army, or deals with soldiers often enough that their not impressed, you look like a douchebag. Choke yourself, and try again."

One of the more fun individuals, is the guy who "rockies" (that's what I call it) around the gym.

He does maybe 10 minutes of cardio, another 10 of weights and spends another hour, punching and jabbing and dancing around every piece of equipment in the gym. God I fucking cant stand that prick.

The other day, a ghetto goblin came in doin the "stanky leg gangsta lean" walk with shorts 18 sizes too big and a XXXX t shirt (this dude weighed maybe 100 lbs) he hops on the treadmill at break neck speed and within 20 seconds he slips, smacks his face on the display board and the fucking machine THROWS him into the row of machines behind him (the ones I'm on) I was laughing so hard I had to stop the elliptical and take 5 to catch my breath.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 3:04:37 AM EDT
I'd hate to tell you how I work out but then I have a small home set-up. I'm actually in the middle of my set right now taking a water break. I always spray and wipe down my equipment when I'm done. I won't do a public gym for a couple of reasons, one is that I'll buy equipment as I go along and second is for the reasons you mention. I'm not to keen on most public offerings.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 3:08:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By poink:

Eventually, one of the staff came over and was like, "Ok, guys...you really need to wear shirts" and they were super sad.

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 3:09:01 AM EDT
There is some local redneck at my gym that does the shirtless thing. As soon as someone else walks in he throws on his wife beater.  To make things worse he works out in jeans and work boots.  I don't get it at all.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 3:55:47 AM EDT
Carbuncles from gym equipment are cool.

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 4:17:42 AM EDT
Don't forget –– 'Gym Herpies' or HSV.

Herpes is especially common among wrestlers (herpes gladiatorum) and rugby players (scrum pox, or herpes rugbiaforum). Since herpes can be spread while there are no visible sores on the body, protection among those involved in sports is especially important. HSV infections are common in areas of close contact such as day care centers and college residence halls; wrestling mats, locker rooms, gym equipment and bathrooms can also act as carriers. Generally HSV-2 (genital herpes) is spread during sexual contact with a person infected with HSV-2.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 4:19:59 AM EDT
I saw a guy walk out of the locker room the other day shirtless and proceed to put his shirt on half way through the gym.  I don't believe I've seen someone go shirtless working out in my gym, because the gym would kick you out.

However, there is a police officer from a neighboring town that works out there that always wears cut off shirts, gets all pumped up and struts in front of the women on the cardio machines.  They all just ignore him, which makes me lol
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 4:22:42 AM EDT
Even worse are the guys, often in gay pairs, that pull up their shirts and flex their abs in the mirror in the open gym.  Seriously guys, there is a back room with mirrors for this kind of faggotry.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 4:26:01 AM EDT
Not now, Chief.

I'm in the fuckin' ZONE.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 4:41:03 AM EDT

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 4:43:39 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 4:51:06 AM EDT
I pick things up and put them down.  

There's a reason why I used to like PF - none of that shit will fly there.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 4:53:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RealFastV6:

PF is an absolute JOKE of a gym.  No dumbbells over what.. 50lbs now?  No squat racks?!  Purple walls!? That's not a gym.

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 4:55:53 AM EDT

PF is an absolute JOKE of a gym.  No dumbbells over what.. 50lbs now?  No squat racks?!  Purple walls!? That's not a gym.  

Back when I was there they had dumbells up to 100 and squat racks?

This was before I moved 5 years ago though.  

Maybe it's changed?

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 4:57:44 AM EDT

Back when I was there they had dumbells up to 100 and squat racks?

This was before I moved 5 years ago though.  

Maybe it's changed?

Hah I guess so.

I like their commercials though.

"BOOM! BANG!  BAM! BAM! BAM! BAM! BAM!  Do I need to put my email address down?"
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 4:57:45 AM EDT
Reason #22 I don't pay good money to work out in a public gym.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 4:58:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2011 4:58:18 AM EDT by swingset]
double tap.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 5:03:21 AM EDT
I suppose its socially unacceptable in a more conservative, 'name brand' fitness establishment.
In a more local, independant gym that is primarily a body building gym....especially the type of place where everyone knows each other...I have no real issue with it.

In the 80's I worked out a fairly serious body building place. Rich Gaspari (past perenial Mr. Olympia contestant) worked out there....so did a lot of other less notable (but very serious) body builders. It wasnt a social scene....people went there to hit weights...period. No one cared what one wore (or didnt) and no one paid much attention to mannerisms such as grunting, shouting, or encouragment from a training partner or even a total stranger. All that said....people were fairly respectful....there were spray bottles and towels all over near the equipment...people wiped stuff down before they walked over to their next exercise. Sometimes you got a guy that didnt...but thats life. If it bothered me I grabbed a towel and wiped it down myself before using it. Back then there was less bench / apparatus type equipment....a lot of the training was with dumbbells, a squat rack, cable crossover machines, etc.....besides the bench presses and leg press, there wasnt a lot that you got sweat on, besides the floor.

Frankly, I prefer those types of places to the sanatized 'meet market' that I see when I go to a gyn these days.
I stopped going to a public gym and now just work out at home.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 5:08:32 AM EDT
My gym would never allow shirtless people to work out.  There are signs everywhere to wipe down the machines and plenty of disinfectant spray stationed around the gym as well - but so many just don't do it.  I wipe down machines before using them.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 8:30:42 AM EDT

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 8:48:13 AM EDT

hahahahha, so true.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 9:13:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By heavily_armed:

+1

Shirtless is pretty lowbrow, but gyms are dirty by nature. If it bothers you that much, disinfect everything yourself.

Or stay away from that shit.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 9:14:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By osprey21:

Then again, maybe they've never seen anything that small before.  

It only looks like that because my quads are so huge.  Everything in that area looks small by comparison.  

People look at me and they think im wearing a codpiece.   I get these envious looks all the time, especially from the women.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 9:15:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Justa_TXguy:
I'd don't care if it's Arnold back before he got fat, I just don't want to see a bunch of sweaty dudes walking around shirtless.  The gym is gay enough as is.

For sure!!!
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 9:17:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2011 9:19:47 AM EDT by RDak]
Whenever I take my shirt off in public........someone calls 911.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 9:25:12 AM EDT
Our gym feature a number of disinfectant-towel dispensers fastened to the walls, and members are instructed to use them on each machine after they finish their sets.

It works. The equipment stays clean.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 9:36:41 AM EDT
I ended up buying my own equipment from people on Craigslist at a huge discount. I guess a lot of folks buy exercise equipment, never use it then sell it years later.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 9:44:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Russm:

So I guess I'm a pussy that I bitch about getting shingles from a gym in college.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 9:50:01 AM EDT
I sure wish the women would work out topless.  

Well...the ones who are in decent shape, anyway.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 9:52:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2011 9:54:00 AM EDT by VooDoo3dfx]
Originally Posted By jsnappa:
Carbuncles from gym equipment are cool.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/jsnappa/carbuncle.jpg

I raise you...

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 9:53:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 10:19:57 AM EDT
I'll bet they left more DNA at the gym than what you actually saw.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 10:28:38 AM EDT
Let's see, shirtless guys or old guys blow drying their junk...

I see which one the OP prefers.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 11:06:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By cmjohnson:
I sure wish the women would work out topless.  

Well...the ones who are in decent shape, anyway.

Agree.  That will be incentive for me to work out in gyms.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 11:08:21 AM EDT
I wear a tee-shirt. It's common courtesy. It's always the fat guys that think they're buff that wear nothing but Spandex and Vibram Five Fingers.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 11:12:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DarkCharisma:
I wear a tee-shirt. It's common courtesy. It's always the fat guys that think they're buff that wear nothing but Spandex and Vibram Five Fingers.

Hey!  You leave the Fiver Fingers out of this!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top