Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2006 5:45:10 AM EDT
I caught an ad looking for people in my (medical) field to work in Saudi Arabia.    The wife will probably Nix the idea immediately, but thought I'd get comments from over here first.  

Any thoughts?

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:48:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:51:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Read ALL the fine print with the job description.  I looked into doing Security work with Dyncorp and once I saw the breakdown in pay, that $100,000+ a year was a HIGH estimate.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:55:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm a Podiatry Resident  just finishing up in 2 months....looking for a job now.  Since I don't have "permanant" roots yet anywhere, I thought about doing something like this for a while.   The wife wants to move closer to the East Coast (Mid Atlantic region, mostly).

I would (hope) that for a trained Foot (& Ankle) surgeon, the pay would be more than in the US--at least enough to make it worth the travel and hassles.  

Besides, why should I worry about security....Don't you read the posts that we get around here..."Doctors are 2 million times more likely to kill someone than guns are...."
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:18:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, by the time you add in any additional costs of living, security issues (remember they did saw off one contractor' head that was working there), and the general suckness, it probably wont be worth it.

ALso, you should look at the working hours you have to work as well.. For example, a buddy of mine works with computers in Iraq... Sure, he makes $120K a year after taxes, but is working 12 hour days just about 7 days a week..

If you want to travel around, etc for awhile, I would look at working for the Military in Europe, Japan, etc...Most Military doctors I know are actual military officers though..

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:25:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm a Podiatry Resident  just finishing up in 2 months....looking for a job now.  Since I don't have "permanant" roots yet anywhere, I thought about doing something like this for a while.   The wife wants to move closer to the East Coast (Mid Atlantic region, mostly).

I would (hope) that for a trained Foot (& Ankle) surgeon, the pay would be more than in the US--at least enough to make it worth the travel and hassles.  

Besides, why should I worry about security....Don't you read the posts that we get around here..."Doctors are 2 million times more likely to kill someone than guns are...."

Why should you worry about security?

Its Saudi fucking Arabia.

Tread lightly... there are much safer and equally foreign places to go!

- BG
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:22:26 AM EDT
[#6]
BG:

Why should you worry about security?

I guess you missed it above.....I'm much more dangerous than any armed security...I can kill with a glance (or at least a good medication error, or mis-diagnosis).....
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:25:29 AM EDT
[#7]
No way in hell.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Depends on the particulars of the job.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#9]
My understanding is most foreign workers live in compound like areas. Fish in a barrel.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:10:47 AM EDT
[#10]
There are plenty of terrorists in Saudi Arabia

This guy was in Riyadh. They got him in his house:  http://www.terroristmedia.com/nukem/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=15

Link intentionally left cold. Graphic.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I go to boarding school with a bunch of ex-pat kids whose parents work in Saudi Arabia. They all say its ok. No problems, a lot of cool cultural experiences, their parents seem to like their jobs. They all live in ex-pat compounds, which have walls and security forces.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#12]
My dad was offered a bunch of money to teach chemistry there back in the early 80s. A LOT of cash at the time, IIRC.

Of course he didn't go. Like somebody said, it's Saudi Arabia. If you're not a Muslims, expect to be limited. If you're wife and daughters (if you have them) are not mindless drones, they will not do well.

Basically, an equivalent of this would be a black American asking if he should take a job in 1980's South Africa.  They might not kill you, but US/Europe/Japan it is not.

If you're in the medical field, there's lot of other (and better) overseas work. There's also places overseas that won't pay as well, but they'll appreaciate a doc more.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I've worked with quite a few medical people that did stints in Saudi. Apparently the atmosphere there has changed a lot and the one that I work with now says they no longer felt welcome or safe and it was time to do something else. Apparently you can make quite a bit of money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top