Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2008 7:55:57 AM EDT
Time for a new set of work boots (Red Wings), and have never had steel toed before and was wondering what the general consensus was.

Do most of you guys go with the steel?

Do your toes feel colder when the steel get's cold?

Thanks

Shoot.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:59:08 AM EDT
[#1]
If you work with things heavy enough to crush your toe should they fall, then wear them.

If your toes get cold, it's called "socks".
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:01:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I buy steel toes in my work boots.  Not because I have to, but because I like my toes.

Red wing toes are so very comfortable that you don't know that they are there.

"Better to have and not need"... certainly applies here.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:02:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you work with things heavy enough to crush your toe should they fall, then wear them.

Wow, that's weird.  Being an ex-Iron Worker, I never knew another that wore steel toed boots.  Mostly because the steel was so heavy, that should a beam/column come down on your toes/foot, the "steel toe" becomes a guillotine, where as non steel toed boots would just leave you with crushed toes.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, that's weird.  Being an ex-Iron Worker, I never knew another that wore steel toed boots.  Mostly because the steel was so heavy, that should a beam/column come down on your toes/foot, the "steel toe" becomes a guillotine, where as non steel toed boots would just leave you with crushed toes.  

+1 to this. If you are around very heavy objects, do NOT wear steel toes. If not, they are useful.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:03:49 AM EDT
[#5]
It would just depend on the kind of work.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:05:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I wear them in some harsh conditions. If you get winter socks, you should be fine.
I prefer steel toed as I work around things that can crush toes and I am partial to walking properly.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:07:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 to this. If you are around very heavy objects, do NOT wear steel toes. If not, they are useful.

Wasn't this disproved on Mythbusters?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:08:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I talked to a tree logger and he said they never wear steel toed boots because if a tree were to land on his feet, the steel part would cut his toes off.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:09:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Crushed or cut off cleanly.....

Hm..... Let's see.......

Still, I'd rather they be cut off cleanly. At least them you have a better chance of reattachment, right?

Of course, some "safety" consideration are just nuts. Yeah, wearing a hardhat is really going to help you if a 20-ton beam comes crashing down on your head.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:11:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I wore steel toed boots for many years.  They are cold in the winter no matter what you wear underneath. Get some composite safety toe boots unless your safety rules don't allow it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:11:40 AM EDT
[#11]
depends on what you're going to be doing in them...

when I was 17, I a chain broke while we were moving a big flatbed for a truck and it fell right on my foot.  Had I not been wearing steel toed boots I'd have lost a few toes, probably.  I never bitched about having to wear that kind of boot again.

Similarly, I got hit in the head by a 3" washer (1/4" thick) on a construction site.  As much as I hated wearing a hard hat, I'm glad I did.

When you work in a hazardous environment, bad shit can happen.  That's why they make protective gear.

If you're talking about buying them for when you weed-eat the lawn, I wouldn't bother.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:13:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If the weight hits where the steel toe ends (on the top of the foot)  you could be in trouble.  Either way you are going to be in trouble if something crushes the steel.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:14:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As far as I'm concerned, this is like the "I never wear a seat belt because I heard of a guy who lived because he was thrown clear of the accident" stories.  I've heard the stories, but in practice I never knew anyone who got hurt because they wore steel toes (and knew several folks including myself who saved themselves from crushed feet with them).
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't like them. They are uncomfortable if you have to kneel down and work on stuff.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Found a link read and draw your own conclusion. I have worn safety toe boots almost every day for the past four years, they do protect your toes especially when moving heavy objects like furniture, steel no experience.

kwc.org/mythbusters/2005/11/episode_42_steel_toe_amputatio.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(season_3)#Episode_42_.E2.80.94_.22Steel_Toe-Cap_Amputation.2C_Bottle_Rocket_Blast-off.22
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:22:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Crushed or cut off cleanly.....

Hm..... Let's see.......

Still, I'd rather they be cut off cleanly. At least them you have a better chance of reattachment, right?

Of course, some "safety" consideration are just nuts. Yeah, wearing a hardhat is really going to help you if a 20-ton beam comes crashing down on your head.

That's true..  Then again, we didn't wear those or safety harnesses either.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#17]
As to the question as what they'll be used for; mainly construction and around the house.  I'm no longer an Iron worker.

Do you guys that go with the steel toe find that the front of the boot wears out any faster due to there being less forgiveness in the front?

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:29:10 AM EDT
[#18]
yes.

they are uncomfortable untill you need them, and then you will appreciate you had them on, trust me.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:29:58 AM EDT
[#19]
We are required to wear them in my line of work.  In twenty years, there has been only one time that I felt they came in handy, though.  A heavy tractor ran over my foot...

They also make pretty good weapons.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#20]
I wear steel-toe boots all year round...no problem.  I have 2 pair of boots.  Uninsulated for summer and insulated in winter.

I'd rather have the steel toe and not need them than crush my toes.  If it was a proven fact(high statistically) about having your toes cut off with steel toe boots then why do they make them?  I think it's just an urban legend.  YMMV.

ETA: Used all the time around my house(gardening, general yard work) and at my parent's farm where tractors and attachments etc. are in use.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:34:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I buy steel toes in my work boots.  Not because I have to, but because I like my toes.

Red wing toes are so very comfortable that you don't know that they are there.

"Better to have and not need"... certainly applies here.

I have worn steel toe red wings every day for 10 years. Very comfortable and they saved my feet a few times. IIRC they are not steel and I havn't had any cold toe experiences. I haven't worked a job where I needed them in over 2 years and still put them on every day. My next pair will have them also.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I have worn them for work for the last twenty years.  Have never had any issues with comfort with them.  Heavy socks will help with the cold, also with any chaffing from the edge of the steel cap.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:36:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Get good quality brand boots that fit properly, and you will not even know they are steel toes.

Not wearing them would be stupid.

And that bullshit about really heavy stuff cutting your toes off...it's just that. Bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#24]
If you have wide feet, try them on first.  Most caps are too narrow and rub/pinch my toes.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, if something heavy enough to crush the steel toe falls on your foot, you would lose your toes from the damage from that kind of force anyway.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Composite toe.....

Lighter....Cooler in hot weather....

Warmer in cold weather.......
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#27]
There are composite toed boots now too, maybe something to look into.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:40:39 AM EDT
[#28]
If something falls on your toes heavy enough to crush the steel, then you're toes are gone regardless. I don't know why anyone believes that a toe crushed by something heavy enough to trash a steel toed boot is going to heal.

If you work around heavy stuff it's worth having. Just because you work with something heavy enough to crush the steel toe doesn't mean it's the only thing that might fall on your foot. It's the same with hardhats- that girder isn't the only thing that might fall.

I wear them daily, mostly because I'm kind of clumsy and the steel saves me from a lot of stubbed toes. I've never noticed my toes being cold because of the steel, although it did take a day or two to get accustomed to the extra weight. The leather on the toe of the boot does wear out faster, but in my case only on my right foot. I tend to lead and kick with that foot, so I guess thats why. In any case the soles wore out before the toe did.

-Local
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:43:51 AM EDT
[#29]
I work around high voltage all night, so no for me.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#30]
The cutting off of toes if something heavy falls on them is BS!  The argument doesn't even make sense.  That is like saying your not going to wear a SAPI plate because it won't stop a 120mm howitzer round.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:46:12 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I work around high voltage all night, so no for me.

Now that is a valid argument!!
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#32]
I wore them every day in the construction industry; hard hats, too. It's an insurance policy.

And yes, they get cold in the winter. Wear heavy socks.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#33]
I've wore RedWing steel toes for over 15 years. Very comfortable. I never really noticed them being cold.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Red Wing makes some with carbon fiber toes.

Lighter, don't get cold and comfortable.

Can't ask for better than that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#35]
I wear an off brand (because no brand lasts long where i work) and also have metatarsal gards on mine, i work in a steel mill and believe it or not it gets freakin cold in about January and no I cant tell the toes make any difference, They dont hold heat any more than anything else either. Our temp swings from about 40 in winter to 130 in summer.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I don't like them. They are uncomfortable if you have to kneel down and work on stuff.

Red wings aren't.  Other brands, yes.  What sold me on the Wings was that the toe cap didn't pinch my feet.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Buy some clogs.

Watch out for woodpeckers.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#38]
NO to Steel toe . Heavy .  and cold . Give me some good old shoe/boot leather . Now I did see some a while w a Poly carobinate ?? toe . Might be interesting .

Steel toe boots pinch my feet .
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Forgot to add:

The carbon fiber toe is made to size for each shoe size. Steel toes are more or less one size fits all.

Most comfortable shoe I've ever worn.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:47:09 AM EDT
[#40]
YES. Why risk your toes?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Yes.  I even wear metatarsal guards.  

The company I work for mandates steel toe or whatever meets the spec.  The boots I have now use aluminum in the toe rather than steel and plastic type material for the metatarsal guard.  They aren't as heavy as the older ones.

Those who don't like "cold toes" can layer socks.  That's what I do outside in the winter.  Keep your feet dry!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top