Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2004 5:50:37 AM EDT
Got a letter from the insurance company yesterday saying that they settled with her, all within the limits of my insurance policy.  From February of last year until now this has been in the back of my mind, and now it's finally done.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:51:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Insurance companies handle sexual harassment cases?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:52:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Haha, no, but they probably should!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:23:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:22:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

They do. Liability policies for businesses at least.

Good to hear that Norman. Stupid people sue too much these days.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:27:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I love these cases.  They always start out asking for hundreds of thousands of dollars, and wind up settling for under $10k.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#6]
What was the accusation?
...and how many of her bones did you break to make her settle?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:32:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I love these cases.  They always start out asking for hundreds of thousands of dollars, and wind up settling for under $10k.

If you don't mind saying, why was she suing you?

We got sued for $300k once. The jury found for her, in the amount of $0.

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:39:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Last February I rearended this woman.  I did not see any brake lights, and we were both in a turning lane, she just chose to turn before the intersection into a shopping center.  Yes she had her blinker on.  Unfortunately in Florida you have to be following at a sufficient distance that even if all of the laws of physics stop and the car freezes in space and time you still have sufficient time to stop.  After the accident some nerdy dork that was apparently friends with her showed up and after he heard my claim about the brake lights, started fiddling around in the trunk and got them working.  The cops on scene allowed him to do this despite my protests.

Basically by the letter of the law I was at fault, but to the rational person she shouldn't be driving around with no brake lights.  There are no annual vehicle inspections in Florida.

In the weeks following the accident I got literally 10 phone calls a day, and as many mailers from various lawyers.  Apparently members of our (known to be) corrupt sherrif's office sell the lists to lawyers.  Undoubtedly she got the same calls and mailers.  Next thing you know I get a letter from her lawyer saying that she had back injuries from the wreck and that they would be suing.  Every couple of months since then I get a letter from my insurance company saying it still hadn't been resolved.  Each time I was cringing waiting for the "you owe this Haitian bitch $100k" letter.  I was fully prepared to pull up stakes and move to Texarkana if need be, or take a job at McDonalds to keep this woman from getting one cent from me.  Now, thank god, that won't be necessary.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:41:22 AM EDT
[#10]
did you get a ticket for the accident?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Nope, she did actually.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Let that be a lesson to you, Norman. Next time, HIT THE ACCELERATOR!

The dead can't sue you!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:44:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, she did actually.

POETIC!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:45:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, she did actually.

im a Floridian myself and understand that bullshit rear end law, and am surpised that you didnt get the ticket.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:47:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, she did actually.

Congrats!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:50:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like she was just looking for money. The one that sued us (the company) saw a screwjack flying AT HER down the interstate and hit the brakes. A plumbers van hit her from behind. One of our trucks was ahead of her, and a friend of the womans "saw the screwjack fall off, so I pulled up behind the guy when he stopped later to check his straps". Anyway, how we get blamed for a painters screwjack, too light for use in masonry, flying northbound in a southbound lane from a southbound truck, while a friend of hers who claimed to have no knowledge of her accident to that point, is a little fucked if you ask me.

Right on her admission documents from when she first saw a doctor, someone had hand written a note to not put in the records that she had been refferred by a doctor. The doctor told the court that a fellow doctor had refferred her, then our (insurance companies) lawyer pulled out his copy of the admission documents. Shoulda seen the juries faces. Perjury is hard to prove though.

Anyway, she settled with the plumber for $300k, then lost her $300k suit against us.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but it was an interesting story, and I am still pissed at her after 2 or 3 years.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:51:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Don't get me started on sueing and lawyers! I once got "set up" by car accident scammers. One car blocked me one slammed into me and then one "witness" showed up to say it was entirely my fault. The car that blocked me dissappeared of course. But not before I got a plate number. Then Those two assholes who slammed me came out yelling at me and grabbing their wrists and necks. But these guys were messing with the wrong guy. I'm wise to every scam in the book. First I was served papers from some scumbag ambulance chaser, as well as my carrier. Then my insurance carrier wanted to settle and raise my rates. That was all it took. With the name and address of the plaintiff (in the Complaint papers) as well as the plate and make of the "blocking car" I contacted a Private investigator. I'd rather give my money to a shady PI than let those scums have 1 penny (BTW- my insurance company wanted to settle and be done with it.) We found the following things - #1 The car that hit me was not the drivers it was  rented like 2 hours before (What a co-inky-dinky?) The mystery car that blocked me was owned by the cousin of the plaintiff. And we got photographs of the "3rd party witness" and the driver going into his house together. (they were friends) So I took this all down to My agent. And called their lawyer to present him with these new found facts. Never heard from them again. However I still do have that scums name address, he's definatly on my "come the revolution pay a visit to"  list
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:51:46 AM EDT
[#19]
In WA if you hit someone from behind you are automatically assessed at least 51% responsability.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#20]
It amazes me how the judicial system allows this crap to go so far.  At least it's over....that shit can happen to anyone....

Oh well.....so yeah, go buy another gun and post pics.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Don't get me started on sueing and lawyers! I once got "set up" by car accident scammers. One car blocked me one slammed into me and then one "witness" showed up to say it was entirely my fault. The car that blocked me dissappeared of course. But not before I got a plate number. Then Those two assholes who slammed me came out yelling at me and grabbing their wrists and necks. But these guys were messing with the wrong guy. I'm wise to every scam in the book. First I was served papers from some scumbag ambulance chaser, as well as my carrier. Then my insurance carrier wanted to settle and raise my rates. That was all it took. With the name and address of the plaintiff (in the Complaint papers) as well as the plate and make of the "blocking car" I contacted a Private investigator. I'd rather give my money to a shady PI than let those scums have 1 penny (BTW- my insurance company wanted to settle and be done with it.) We found the following things - #1 The car that hit me was not the drivers it was  rented like 2 hours before (What a co-inky-dinky?) The mystery car that blocked me was owned by the cousin of the plaintiff. And we got photographs of the "3rd party witness" and the driver going into his house together. (they were friends) So I took this all down to My agent. And called their lawyer to present him with these new found facts. Never heard from them again. However I still do have that scums name address, he's definatly on my "come the revolution pay a visit to"  list

I'm going to have to remember that.....

Nicely done!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:55:00 AM EDT
[#22]
This isn't my first time down this road.  I drove a honda civic underneath a semi a few years ago and the driver tried to sue me for the quadrupple bipass he had a month later (you know, from the stress of the accident) and his wife sued me for "loss of husbandly duties) or some nonsense like that.  I offered to visit her once a week & service the bitch for him, but somehow that never made it to their attorney.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

good story
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:57:34 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
This isn't my first time down this road.  I drove a honda civic underneath a semi a few years ago and the driver tried to sue me for the quadrupple bipass he had a month later (you know, from the stress of the accident) and his wife sued me for "loss of husbandly duties) or some nonsense like that.  I offered to visit her once a week & service the bitch for him, but somehow that never made it to their attorney.

what exactly do you mean by service??
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Last February I rearended this woman.  I did not see any brake lights, and we were both in a turning lane, she just chose to turn before the intersection into a shopping center.  Yes she had her blinker on.  Unfortunately in Florida you have to be following at a sufficient distance that even if all of the laws of physics stop and the car freezes in space and time you still have sufficient time to stop.  After the accident some nerdy dork that was apparently friends with her showed up and after he heard my claim about the brake lights, started fiddling around in the trunk and got them working.  The cops on scene allowed him to do this despite my protests.

Basically by the letter of the law I was at fault, but to the rational person she shouldn't be driving around with no brake lights.  There are no annual vehicle inspections in Florida.

In the weeks following the accident I got literally 10 phone calls a day, and as many mailers from various lawyers.  Apparently members of our (known to be) corrupt sherrif's office sell the lists to lawyers.  Undoubtedly she got the same calls and mailers.  Next thing you know I get a letter from her lawyer saying that she had back injuries from the wreck and that they would be suing.  Every couple of months since then I get a letter from my insurance company saying it still hadn't been resolved.  Each time I was cringing waiting for the "you owe this Haitian bitch $100k" letter.  I was fully prepared to pull up stakes and move to Texarkana if need be, or take a job at McDonalds to keep this woman from getting one cent from me.  Now, thank god, that won't be necessary.

Post pics dammit!!!!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:59:30 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take care of her in a way that he no longer could.

He actually had a letter from his Dr. saying that he couldn't get wood anymore.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:00:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

[...]

Excellent. Good job. I think insurance companies are well aware of this type of scam, now.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:00:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Were you able to get reimbursed by your insurance company for the PI you hired?  Seems like you should since you saved them alot of money.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:01:30 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well come on, he's offering to do it once a week with her!

Now, had he said "service the bitch" implying that it would happen once, I might be inclined to think he was using the term service like the Army does, which is what would probably be best for the world.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:04:43 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Only one: His.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:24:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only one: His.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top