Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2014 4:55:10 PM EDT
The rope gasket on my stove is in desperate shape and needs to be replaced.

The screwed-up thing is the size isn't in my manual! Believe me: I've looked and looked!

So . . . anyone know how to measure the diameter of the slot to be sure to get the right one?

It's not just so simple as slapping a tape on it, is it? I mean, the diameter-measurement I need is really the rope gasket itself - right? Not, the size of the slit it fits into on the door. Right?

Or, am I totally wrong?

*Disclaimer: I have indeed been wrong . . . . once.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:05:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Just take the old one to the hardware store and get one that looks like the old one might have before it mostly burned up!
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Ask on hearth.com.  someone there will know.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Rais.  The fuckers users proprietary sized gasket. So you have to order through them. To make matters worse, you have to order a kit which includes the glass gaskets as well.  I had to spend $88 just to replace the door gaskets last week.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#4]
you are going to glue it into the slot.  get a rope that will bulge out when glued in, then adjust the handle to make the door tighter or looser.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you are going to glue it into the slot.  get a rope that will bulge out when glued in, then adjust the handle to make the door tighter or looser.
View Quote

Good advice.
They come in two sizes, I always use a dremel to clean out the old glue, then put glue down and add gasket slowly making sure it sticks. When through I cut off excess, do ' final glue, the close door on it. Don't open for at least 24 hrs. Have to replace mine yearly.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#6]
A trick I came up with this year to solve unraveling at cut ends.

Cut rope a couple inches long.  Coat ends with gasket cement.  Let dry.  Make cuts at final measurement through sealed ends.  No unraveling, clean cuts.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Small world, Im a regular there. You post there too?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#9]

I spend as much time there and on AS as I do here lately.
Chain saws can be as interesting and addicting as black rifles
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:01:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a couple of threads there.  They were a great help in getting a WinterWarm insert rebuilt and installed - though I should have listened when they said "Scrap it and get something else."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top