Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2006 12:44:42 AM EDT
My oak floors are about 7 years old now and seem to be in good shape. We do not wear shoes inside so they only get sock/bare feet wear on them. I would like to reseal them even though they seem to be holding up fine. I don't want to sand them because of the dust and I don't think it needs that. Is there a product out there that I can apply to reseal and bring back a nice shine to the wood that I can just put on on let it dry?

Also what is the best cleaner to use on wood floors? I have been using Murphy's Oil Soap and it seems to be a good product. Anything better? Thanks for any input!!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:57:18 AM EDT
[#1]
You must sand/scuff the polyurethane to give the new coat a mechanical bond to the previous layer. If you tried to apply a new coat without doing this, you would only cause yourself problems later on as the new coat would flake/peel off.

As for cleaners, there are several brands made for hardwood floors. I'd avoid the Murphys Oil Soap for flooring.

If your floors aren't scratched, dinged, scuffed, damaged, etc. then leave them alone and do a proper refinish when the time is right.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:34:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Another thing to consider is making sure the new application is compatible with the old finish. Some pre-finished flooring will not accept finishes available to most people. Try an inconspicuous area first like a closet or corner so you can be sure it will work.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:53:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You must sand/scuff the polyurethane to give the new coat a mechanical bond to the previous layer. If you tried to apply a new coat without doing this, you would only cause yourself problems later on as the new coat would flake/peel off.

As for cleaners, there are several brands made for hardwood floors. I'd avoid the Murphys Oil Soap for flooring.

If your floors aren't scratched, dinged, scuffed, damaged, etc. then leave them alone and do a proper refinish when the time is right.

Thanks! Why would you avoid Murphys Oil soap?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#4]
If I recall, Murphy's leave an oily residue...  can make floors slick.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top