Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 4:45:11 AM EDT
The smith did a fine job. He didn't cure my problem with the slide not going into battery reliably, but at least he can cut a slide. These are SOOOOO much nicer than the stock sights. I'm a happy boy.

Man, my camera pics up EVERYTHING, including shirt lint. The gun is clean, I swear.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:03:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a set installed two weeks ago.  While I haven't actually tried them out yet, they seem like an improvement over the stock sights.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:07:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I had a set installed two weeks ago.  While I haven't actually tried them out yet, they seem like an improvement over the stock sights.

The difference is night and day. For whatever reason, I could not shoot worth a damn with those low GI sights. And forget about using them quickly...

With the new sights, my groups were dramatically better. It didn't look like a shotgun pattern anymore.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:08:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I call BS on the not looking like a shotgun pattern.

Anywho.    Who did the work?

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:23:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I call BS on the not looking like a shotgun pattern.

Anywho.    Who did the work?

Kiss my ass.

Cleland's, in Swanton (near Toledo). Their smith has been at it 30+ years. The rest of the shop is...well...not my cup of tea (high transfers, list price on most items, caters to hunting crowd, poor EBR selection, etc). I'm sure it's a great place, but they just don't cater to your typical arfcommer.

Hell, I might even have to call the gunsmith into question. While the sights are perfect, he failed to fix the feeding problem (won't go into battery). I'm now almost positive my extractor is too tight. He said he tuned it, but in all honesty I think he made it even tighter. I get the feeling I need to figure out a way to fix this myself. If you want something done right...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:43:48 AM EDT
[#5]
How much did they charge you and how long was the turnaround time.  I'm thinking of something similar for my mil spec and am in the area
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:49:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Sweeet!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:51:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like you ought to just send it back to springfield and have them fix the reliability problem.

It's looking like mine will go to them for a frame recontour and checkering.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:52:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How much did they charge you and how long was the turnaround time.  I'm thinking of something similar for my mil spec and am in the area

Labor to install the sights was $110, and the sights themselves were maybe $30 a piece - straight out of Brownells. When I dropped the gun off, he had just returned from a lengthy hunting trip and had a huge backlog. He said it would take 3-4 weeks, but I got it back in two. When caught up, I think he'd get it done inside a week.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:53:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Labor to install the sights was $110, and the sights themselves were maybe $30 a piece - straight out of Brownells. When I dropped the gun off, he had just returned from a lengthy hunting trip and had a huge backlog. He said it would take 3-4 weeks, but I got it back in two. When caught up, I think he'd get it done inside a week.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:54:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Sounds like you ought to just send it back to springfield and have them fix the reliability problem.

It's looking like mine will go to them for a frame recontour and checkering.

You're probably right. I figured it would be better/easier/faster to have somebody local take care of it, but I was sadly mistaken. I know it's under warranty, but I'd really like to fix it myself, if at all possible. Unfortunately, my 1911-fu is weak.

I'm still pretty certain that thje extractor is too damn tight, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about verifying and correcting this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top