Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 7:49:52 AM EDT
Couple of girls that I dated over the years told me that "I need to multitask" like they do because "you can get so much more done at the same time"...

well, I witnessed another fine example of "multitasking" today at the grocery checkout line (express, 10 items etc.)

seems the lady cashier is a chatty type, and one of the customers is a chatty type, and while she was busy scanning the items & chatting and the customer was chatting and fumbling with the card reader, and everything is going fine until a particularly interesting point in the chat ("and then Jack went to Indiana...") would come up and they would both pause, then go back to scanning & fumbling and at the end, "well, I guess I should get some cash back" (naturally) and they both pause, and then the register makes some noises and the clerk says, that's not right, is it? and the line is growing longer and longer, so they proceed to try to figure out how to get cash back WHILE STILL INTERSPERSING TALES OF JACK AND HIS TRIP TO INDIANA and the old guy in front of me is looking back at me & the rest of the ever growing EXPRESS line and the two ladies FINALLY figure out how to do cash back and then CONTINUE THE CHATTING AFTER SHE GETS HER RECEIPT as the checkout lady is trying to scan the WRONG SIDE of the waffle box the old guy in front of me has on the belt because maybe, just maybe she is NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO WHAT THE HELL SHE IS SUPPOSED TO BE DOING so finally after 8 or 12 swipes she realizes that it's the SIDE WITHOUT THE UPC CODE that she has been trying to scan and by this time the line is winding back through the aisles, possibly stretching as far as Kansas, so she completes that transaction and my little tote with lunch is on the belt next so without paying attention she dumps the tote on it's side so the contents come out on to the belt which is mildly irritating since I HAVE SOUP IN THERE but that doesn't matter because at this point she has quickly grabbed it before it dumps all over the belt and put it into a bag WITH MY BAG OF LETTUCE WHICH IS COLD and the lady behind me has already filled up the belt in back of my little tote, threatening to push the entire mess onto the floor and suffice to say that women are FULL OF HOOEY when they claim they can "multitask" because it's just an excuse for doing EVERYTHING POORLY instead of ONE SIMPLE TASK WELL so the next time some woman goes off about how well they "multitask", smile, and give them a friendly donkey punch because it just t'aint so!

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:01:02 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a rant jackasses, you don't pause in a rant.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:01:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Too much , or too much . Either way, my eyes hurt and the goggles don't help.

We need a smiley with glasses.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:03:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't what you're going on about.

I could have gone for an extra non-paragraph or two of his mind-blowing zen-like vitriol myself.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:03:53 AM EDT
[#6]
.,'";/?&! are your friends....
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:09:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I could have gone for an extra non-paragraph or two of his mind-blowing zen-like vitriol myself.

The only thing that could have made it worse was if they were not able to sort out why the "cash-back" option was not working and they had to call the manager over and it turned out the manager was a mime AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:10:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I know exactly what you're talking about.  I used to go to a Chiropractor where the guy and his wife both worked, his wife was usually in only one day a week though.  Not only was she a really bad chiropractor, but on "her" day when I got in the waiting room was always completely full.  I'd be sitting there 30 minutes past my appointment time along with a dozen other people and meanwhile Mrs. Chatterbox is running her mouth with her current customer "Oh and you know what ELSE I have to say? Bla bla! Bla bla bla!!" when it's obvious she needs to shut the hell up and start doing her job.  Women think they are "multitasking" when they are able to flap their jaw and look at pictures in a magazine at the SAME TIME! (omg!) then get pissed at guys when we want them to be quiet while we are reading a book on nuclear physics or something.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only thing that could have made it worse was if they were not able to sort out why the "cash-back" option was not working and they had to call the manager over and it turned out the manager was a mime AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Thanks, but I was being sarcastic.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Rant on brother, rant on.

Stupid bitches driving while multi tasking on the cell phone have almost killed me or one of my guys on the road survey crew.   80% of the time its bitches that run the saftey cones down.
GET OFF THE FUCKING PHONE
We dont have the same problem with men on the cell phone.
Donkey punch cell phone driving women.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:23:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I can multitask to hell and gone and it pisses my wife off to no end.

I'll be reading a book, watching TV and talking to her at the same time.  She'll stop the conversation, grab the book and say, "Are you paying attention to me?"

I tell her, you just said, "X, Y, Z."
Joe on the TV just told us about A, B, C.
Look in the book...go back 2 pages...this is what is happening.

She usually just pitches the book at me and leaves.

Unfortunately, it's about the ONLY thing I'm good at.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:24:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It's a rant jackasses, you don't pause in a rant.

and a damn good rant at that.   I have experienced similar snide comments - always from women - about how men can't "multi-task."
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#13]
In the case you decribed, it's not called Multitasking, is called NOT DOING HER DAMN JOB.
I had a former coworker who spent  the entire day (literally) on the phone with her mother and sisters and her husband.....
First she's call Mom. Then her sister to tell her who mom said. Then call her Mom again. Then call her husband at home, even though they worked for the same company and started work only 2 hours after she did.

If she wasn't talking on her desk phone, she was hiding in a vacant office and using that phone.
She was a complete lazy shirking moron and kept her job only because her husband was a valuable employee.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Punctuation is your friend.

TRG

LOL  

Zen

"This is my Punctuation there are many like it but this one is mineThis is my Punctuation there are many like it but this one is mineThis is my Punctuation there are many like it but this one is mineThis is my Punctuation there are many like it but this one is mineThis is my Punctuation there are many like it but this one is mineThis is my Punctuation there are many like it but this one is mineThis is my Punctuation there are many like it but this one is mineThis is my Punctuation there are many like it but this one is mineThis is my Punctuation there are many like it but this one is mineThis is my Punctuation there are many like it but this one is mineThis is my Punctuation there are many like it but this one is mineThis is my Punctuation there are many like it but this one is mineThis is my Punctuation there are many like it but this one is mineThis is my Punctuation there are many like it but this one is mineThis is my Punctuation there are many like it but this one is mineThis is my Punctuation there are many like it but this one is mineThis is my Punctuation there are many like it but this one is mineThis is my Punctuation there are many like it but this one is mineThis is my Punctuation there are many like it but this one is mineThis is my Punctuation there are many like it but this one is mineThis is my Punctuation there are many like it but this one is mineThis is my Punctuation there are many like it but this one is mine"
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:41:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I can multitask to hell and gone and it pisses my wife off to no end.

I'll be reading a book, watching TV and talking to her at the same time.  She'll stop the conversation, grab the book and say, "Are you paying attention to me?"

I tell her, you just said, "X, Y, Z."
Joe on the TV just told us about A, B, C.
Look in the book...go back 2 pages...this is what is happening.

She usually just pitches the book at me and leaves.

Unfortunately, it's about the ONLY thing I'm good at.

I had to laugh at this because the exact same thing happens to me all the time.
I really tend to find that NOTHING pisses off a woman more than this.
They some how somewhere got the notion that ONLY they can do this and if you aren't giving them your 100% undivided attention then you aren't "listening" to them.
I multi-task all the damn time. I just don't feel it's necessary to brag about doing it. Nor do I use it as an excuse when one of those things gets screwed up. "Oh I was busy doing this and this and this at the time." BS. I screwed it up, I'll fix it. Just that simple. No excuses.

I agree with a previous statement as well. Women in general use it as an excuse for half-assing EVERYTHING and not doing ANYTHING well.

(Calm down Arfcom ladies, I didn't say EVERY woman.)
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:41:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Women actually have quite a few more neurological connections between the right and left side of the brain which gives them the mental capability to multitask better than men.  But just because someone is capable doesn't mean they have the skills to do so or that they are good at.

What annoys me more than the chit chatty women at checkout lines is the opposite, the woman can't even seem to keep one thought in her head.  She's the one who waits for the cashier to ring up all the groceries, give her the total, and then she realizes that she has to pay.  So she picks up her purse, puts it on the belt, opens it up, digs through it looking for her checkbook, finds the checkbook and pulls it out, asks for the total again, takes 3 minutes to write the check, then the cashier asks for her drivers license so it's back into the purse she goes and digs through that for another minute, pulls out the ID, and finally 5 minutes later is done paying.  For crying out loud, she knows she has to pay so why does she just stand there waiting until everything is bagged before even getting out her checkbook.  She could at least have the name of the store written on the check and drivers license sitting out!  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:44:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Women actually have quite a few more neurological connections between the right and left side of the brain which gives them the mental capability to multitask better than men.   But just because someone is capable doesn't mean they have the skills to do so or that they are good at.

What annoys me more than the chit chatty women at checkout lines is the opposite, the woman can't even seem to keep one thought in her head.  She's the one who waits for the cashier to ring up all the groceries, give her the total, and then she realizes that she has to pay.  So she picks up her purse, puts it on the belt, opens it up, digs through it looking for her checkbook, finds the checkbook and pulls it out, asks for the total again, takes 3 minutes to write the check, then the cashier asks for her drivers license so it's back into the purse she goes and digs through that for another minute, pulls out the ID, and finally 5 minutes later is done paying.  For crying out loud, she knows she has to pay so why does she just stand there waiting until everything is bagged before even getting out her checkbook.  She could at least have the name of the store written on the check and drivers license sitting out!  

GRRRR!
I HATE THAT!

The name of the store isn't going to change while they are bagging your damn groceries!

btw: Are you sure about that statement? I had never heard anything like that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:45:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Actually, women bother me when I am multitasking...

For instance, my girlfriend can't understand how I can surf ARFCOM, watch a movie and talk to her at the same time... She demands that I only talk to her... I keep telling her that I can perfectly do all of those things at the time, but she just won't listen...
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Women actually have quite a few more neurological connections between the right and left side of the brain which gives them the mental capability to multitask better than men.  But just because someone is capable doesn't mean they have the skills to do so or that they are good at.

The solution is simple: VISA

Of course, what bugs me even more is the card carrying 'Bank Haters Association of America' folks, who carry their entire life savings (all $500 of it) in cash, and insist on using said obselete mode of payment for everything...

Worse, they often have a huge collection of COINS and since they could NEEEEVER set foot in a BANK, they expect the cashier to help them dispose of said coins...

So they pay for a $6 worth of stuff in pennies and nickels...

Dave 'I never, ever carry cash' A
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:02:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Any of you motorcyle riders out there witness the epitomy of this?

"I think I will put my makeup on in the  car, while driving and talking on the phone while using my rearview mirror not for its intended purpose of actually LOOKING AT TRAFFIC , but as a makeup mirror."

I finally adjusted my own attitude and whenever I would see a women with one foot on the brake, one on the gas and her hands full of makeup, I would ride by and SLAM the window on her side.

If the Gods were smiling at me, said female would poke themselves in the eye with makeup stick. Thus saving me the trouble of doing it.

-Z
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Generally speaking, women tend to be better multitaskers, while men tend to do better at focusing on a relative few tasks for greater periods. Hence, I think, the reason men tend to generally be more involved in designing & building things. I've heard that the these traits contribute, in part, to the social structure that surrounded the early period of mankind's history, where men generally hunted (which requires focus), & women tended to things nearer to the cave, as it were.

That said, I've known some women who were extremely talented in the design & problem-solving arena & didn't seem much for gabbing, as well some as men who couldn't shut up for their asses. Nevertheless, the basic observation is no less legitimate.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd just be happy if people could multitask a few seconds beyond the immediate and be ready for that toll plaza  knowing they are going to have to pay before they are in front of it and not have to dig for change only to discover they are in the wrong lane blah blah blaah... Also, my experience is green is always faster than debit/credit cards in the checkout lanes.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I see men and women multi-tasking all the time.  They are usually camped out driving slow in the left lane and chatting on their phones.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top