BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/1/2011 12:20:51 PM EDT

LINK

A Flagler County woman found herself in a potentially explosive
situation Monday after discovering what she thought was a novelty
cigarette lighter was actually a grenade.

Police said the grenade's firing had been pulled and replaced.

WTF?

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd love to have a few grenades.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:23:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I mean, really, who has not experienced this? Happens to me all the time. I reach for a lighter, and grab a grenade instead.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:24:26 PM EDT
[#3]
She must have been at one of those damn gunshows
How the hell could you possibly mistake a grenade for a lighter though?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:26:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I mean, really, who has not experienced this? Happens to me all the time. I reach for a lighter, and grab a grenade instead.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#6]
what are the odds this is just a stupid story they made up to conceal their actual stupidity?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#7]
It was a PRACTICE grenade, a cast steel shell that SIMULATES the weight of a real M67 fragmentation grenade.  It doesn't have the necessary fragmentation pattern inside the grenade and if filled with explosive, would be excessively heavy.

The fuses used with these training practice grenade have only a small quantity of black powder to produce the report. Practice grenades and fuses are easily identified by the blue paint.  Real grenades are painted with OD green.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Was it live?  Or had it been deactivated?

Grenades are never "deactivated".  They are detonated.  On hand grenade ranges, duds are dealt with by high velocity, precision rifle fire.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Grenades are never "deactivated".  They are detonated.  On hand grenade ranges, duds are dealt with by high velocity, precision rifle fire.

I have a grenade laying around somewhere that had a hole drilled in the botton. What's up with that?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

LINK

A Flagler County woman found herself in a potentially explosive situation Monday after discovering what she thought was a novelty cigarette lighter was actually a grenade.

Police said the grenade's firing had been pulled and replaced.

WTF?

See, smoking will kill you.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a grenade laying around somewhere that had a hole drilled in the botton. What's up with that?

That is a  training/practice grenade.  Empty, it weighs the same as a real grenade.  The hole allows the report from the training/practice fuse to escape.  The training/practice fuse is similar to a standard fuse, only the initiator isn't high explosive but instead is a small dose of black powder in a similar aluminum tube.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#12]
practice grenade. probably spent, then the spoon and pin re-attached for sale at a gun show.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#13]
She mistook a Glock for a lighter?

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is a  training/practice grenade.  Empty, it weighs the same as a real grenade.  The hole allows the report from the training/practice fuse to escape.  The training/practice fuse is similar to a standard fuse, only the initiator isn't high explosive but instead is a small dose of black powder in a similar aluminum tube.

Ah, thanks. I always assumed they removed the explosives for whatever reason and they made their way to the gun show somehow.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#15]
In Calif is against the law to sell practice grenades because the PDs often mistake it for the real deal. I used to see deactivated/practice grenades all of the time at the local gun shows.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:09:54 PM EDT
[#16]
This joke is long overworked.

Quoted:
She mistook a Glock for a lighter?

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was it live? Or had it been deactivated?

Grenades are never "deactivated". They are detonated. On hand grenade ranges, duds are dealt with by high velocity, precision rifle fire.

I've never seen a dud handled by precision rifle fire. I've seen 1lb of explosives used on them after EOD was called though.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, they aren't "deactivated" but inerting is one of assigned tasks to the USMC EOD units.  

I have a bunch of inerted stuff sitting in my office.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#20]
When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not your friend.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#21]
There are the Gunshow Chinese knock off paper weight things too..  There is no picture so..  no idea which it was.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It was a PRACTICE grenade, a cast steel shell that SIMULATES the weight of a real M67 fragmentation grenade.  It doesn't have the necessary fragmentation pattern inside the grenade and if filled with explosive, would be excessively heavy.

The fuses used with these training practice grenade have only a small quantity of black powder to produce the report. Practice grenades and fuses are easily identified by the blue paint.  Real grenades are painted with OD green.

I haven't seen an actual blue body... ever... all our M69's are rust colored...
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:44:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Was it live? Or had it been deactivated?

Grenades are never "deactivated". They are detonated. On hand grenade ranges, duds are dealt with by high velocity, precision rifle fire.

I've never seen a dud handled by precision rifle fire. I've seen 1lb of explosives used on them after EOD was called though.

This, and I've waited for 2 hours in the Okinawan sun for EOD to show up because an idiot didn't remove the safety clip before they pulled the pin and threw it.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

99.99999% deactivated spent what ever you call it.

like those funny take a number ones.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, they aren't "deactivated" but inerting is one of assigned tasks to the USMC EOD units.  

No EOD tech would ever "inert" a grenade.  ANY grenade.  Too damn dangerous.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

So say someone I know has a "training grenade" that has a blue spoon, but no hole in the bottom? Is it a hybrid? Seriously.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So say someone I know has a "training grenade" that has a blue spoon, but no hole in the bottom? Is it a hybrid? Seriously.

Depends..sure, the hole could have been filled/welded and then repainted but they would have probably painted the spoon.  I wouldn't touch that thing or get anywhere near it.  

Does it have authentic markings on it?  

http://www.inert-ord.net/usa03a/usa3/m67/index.html

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Pretty sure I have seen deactivated grenades for sale before (not used practice ones).
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I'd love to have a few grenades.

Make some on a Form 1. Destructive device. Use the fuses from flash-bang grenades.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:06:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No markings....if there ever was a hole (as far as I can tell) it hasn't been plugged. The spoon has designation marking on it.

I had it for about 30 years now....taken it apart many times. I'll try to post a few pics.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Boy, there are some real winners in the comment thread at that site.

ETA: I made a post calling people stupid, and then misspelled "thread". God dammit.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:12:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No markings....if there ever was a hole (as far as I can tell) it hasn't been plugged. The spoon has designation marking on it.

I had it for about 30 years now....taken it apart many times. I'll try to post a few pics.

Smooth or bumpy on the inside?  If you cannot tell because there is a filling

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Hard to see inside down past the fuse threading (looks smooth?). I guessing it might be filled. Anyone know what the markings on the spoon mean? Is 11-67 a date code of some kind?

We used to play with this outside when I was a kid. I can't imagine what kind of shitstorm that would create now.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Click here for all your inert grenade shopping needs.

Edit: Looking at the fuse#, It seems that mine has the designation code for a "training grenade". The body looks to be a real MK2 though.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Click here for all your inert grenade shopping needs.

Edit: Looking at the fuse#, It seems that mine has the designation code for a "training grenade". The body looks to be a real MK2 though.

Can you tell what yours is filled with?

I used to have a similar training grenade, but the cast metal was only maybe 1/4 to 1/2" thick, and it had a hole in the bottom.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:38:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Look at the pic. It seems to be solid cast iron with a "hole" for the fuse. No "filling" to speak of.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:38:26 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Post WWII it wasn't uncommon to have the old pineapple training bodies made into cigarette lighters.  My grandfather got one when he come home from the Pacific Theater.  I used to play with it all the time.  I'm still here!!!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:47:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at the pic. It seems to be solid cast iron with a "hole" for the fuse. No "filling" to speak of.

OK, I thought it looked like it might have been cement.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Hard to see inside down past the fuse threading (looks smooth?). I guessing it might be filled. Anyone know what the markings on the spoon mean? Is 11-67 a date code of some kind?

We used to play with this outside when I was a kid. I can't imagine what kind of shitstorm that would create now.

http://i51.tinypic.com/15s7qyt.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/10qzdir.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/wtwp00.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/dpwozd.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/t0rupt.jpg

That is a training/practice "pineapple", post WWII.  The M205 fuse is a practice fuse, naturally.  Because there isn't a trace of paint, this is a training/practice grenade, unlike the M69, this grenade vented through the fuse.  

The M69 is the training equivalent of the M67, the "baseball" grenade.  Pineapple grenades fell out of favor because of their limited fragments which tended to fly much farther than a soldier can throw them.  The M61 "lemon" had a very intricate shrapnel system composed of notched wire, wound into a shell but it was expensive to produce.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:50:08 PM EDT
[#42]
I knew a guy who took the spoon off of one and had a sleeve or something made for his gear selector, threads matched and that was his stick shift ball.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
She must have been at one of those damn gunshows
How the hell could you possibly mistake a grenade for a lighter though? [/quot

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Thank Keith.

Everyone ready for a "CSB" moment?

When I was eleven, we used to play 'War"...I was hiding in a cardboard box, and my buddy took the grenade up in a tree above me. Dropped that bitch right into the box and...BAM!

Five stitches in the right biscuit.

Inert grenades are dangerous....mmmmkay.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#45]
I just hope the bomb squad crew are laughing about this call out, and by "dispose of the grenade" it means they have in their office as a reminder of how stupid some people are
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No EOD tech would ever "inert" a grenade.  ANY grenade.  Too damn dangerous.

Funny...  That is exactly what the USMC EOD unit is assigned to do...  As I pointed out already.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not your friend.

Doesn't light a cigarette worth a crap, either.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:13:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

http://i51.tinypic.com/15s7qyt.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/10qzdir.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/wtwp00.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/dpwozd.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/t0rupt.jpg

You are missing the striker assembly.

ETA..  not a legit MK II
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Well in this age of zero tolerance, I hope they threw the book at her. She is a felon right?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:26:55 PM EDT
[#50]
So it sounds like a dummy one. The firing had been removed. AKA dummy. But they needed to report this to the police, and the media.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top