BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/6/2005 11:16:42 AM EDT
Woman Booted Off Flight For Anti-Bush Shirt

POSTED: 12:49 pm EDT October 6, 2005

RENO -- A Washington state woman was bounced from a Southwest Airlines flight in Reno for wearing a T-shirt with the pictures of President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney and the F-word.

The shirt was a play on words taken from the movie "Meet the Fockers." It had the title of the movie, with the last word changed to a curse word, according to KRNV-TV in Reno.

Lorrie Heasley said she plans to press a civil-rights complaint against the airline over Tuesday's action at Reno-Tahoe International Airport. Heasley said the airline offered to let her continue her flight if she were to change her shirt, which she refused to do.

"I didn't feel that I should have to change my shirt, because we live in the United States, and it's freedom of speech and it was based on the movie 'The Fockers,' and I didn't think it should have offended anyone," Heasley told KRNV.

Southwest officials said other passengers complained about her shirt, and that rules prohibit offensive clothing.

But the American Civil Liberties Union said Heasley's T-shirt is "protected" free speech under the Constitution.

ETA: snuck in a poll without warning to ward off IBTP posters
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#1]

thats awesome
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#3]
It's their plane and their policies.  The same would apply if they don't allow shirts withs guns on them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Precedent has already been set for this one.
She will win easily.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#5]

I didn't think it should have offended anyone,

But the ACLU needds to remember protected free speech vs private aircraft owned by a non-government company.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:21:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
She will win easily.

Show please.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
She will win easily.

Edit:  Forgot; precedent wasn't in a private business.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#8]
This is not a slam dunk case for the ACLU.

Those planes are private property, subject to the rules of the owner.

Just like you must conform to the standards as set forth by the owners of this site, you must conform to the dress code of the plane. It's not public property.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:22:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
She will win easily.

How is that? This is the same type of policy stores have about CCW. It's a private company and can make whatever rules they want. It's her choice to fly with them.

ETA: nvm, didn't see your edit above.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#10]
The shirt was indecent regardless of the political commentary. If someone wears ANY shirt with the word "FUCK" sprawled across it, chances are they'll be asked to leave that place of business.

How is this hard to understand for liberals?

Ohh forgot to mention, doesn't the fact that federal $'s have been given to the airport/airlines change the way freedom of speach works? I remember something about colleges having a similar issue...
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:23:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I voted before reading the article, which was in the end a mistake.

The use of 'Fockers' with 'o' replaced with 'u' would probably be contrary to the occasional obscenity law, and also any airline policy against obscene/offensive clothing.

If it was a 'polite' anti-Bush T-shirt, there shouldn't have been an issue with letting her fly.

NTM
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:26:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Reno can have her.  She's one of the libtards that's giving Washington the blues.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Booted off for an Anti Bush shirt. That's funny I read that it was because of the word Fuckers. Evidentialy it is against the company's posted rules, that SHE agreed to obide by when she purchased the ticket.

What if her shirt said "I am no terrorist, but I am wearing a shoe bomb." Free speech, sure. Poor taste, sure. Would ANYONE want her on the plane? Would this news clip take the same tone? Fuck no.

Nuf said.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Dress code for a plane? WTF over?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:28:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Looks like she got booted for public obscenity, not  for criticizing the President.

Only a low class dirtbag would wear such a thing in public.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#17]
What the hell?

The airport tried to make me take off my "I am a bomb technician, if you see me running try to keep up" shirt.

Did I sue?

Did I cry to the ACLU?

No, we compromised on some duct tape over the word "bomb."

I could be a rich man if I had the ethics of a liberal... lawsuits galore.  People like this woman make me sick.  Take off the shirt.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#18]
She seemed like an upstanding pillar of the community.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#19]
You do NOT have the right to free speech in an airplane.  Just try to argue the right to bear arms on an airplane.  

No first, no second.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#20]
ACLU will argue that airline companies recieve federal aid money, therefore are "public" and can't censor anyone or anything. THe next day the gay rights organizations will go on flights and have homo sex with each other on the flights as a victory celebration. 6 months later, Meirs will  be the deciding vote on a supreme court case in the matter and will side with the ACLU and homos. 30 seconds later, the world blows up.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Hell, there is a stark difference in what people wear on a plane now vs. 25 years ago.

Amazing that once that changed service went to shit.  Ah, the lowest common denomenator wins again.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#22]

I can't say "bomb" on a plane!??

Bomb! Bomb bomb bomb. Bombity-bomb bomb-bomb-bomb-bomb!!!

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
ACLU will argue that airline companies recieve federal aid money, therefore are "public" and can't censor anyone or anything. THe next day the gay rights organizations will go on flights and have homo sex with each other on the flights as a victory celebration. 6 months later, Meirs will  be the deciding vote on a supreme court case in the matter and will side with the ACLU and homos. 30 seconds later, the world blows up.

ROFL!!!

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:47:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Private company - private plane.
Shirt had obscene language on it - I wouldn't want my kids around her.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Fock her.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:51:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Figures she's from Seattle
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
30 seconds later, the world blows up.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Profanity on a shirt is usually enough to get you kicked out of a mall, school, etc if it is against the rules. Privately owned and/or rules prohibiting obscenity/profanity are enough, nothing new here.

They would not have cared if it had just been Bush bashing, it was the profanity that was the issue.
Not very smart of the wearer IMO.

You are free to say what you want on the street.
On a privately owned aircraft, nope, sorry, constitution does not protect free speech there.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Slap a "Fuck You" bumper sticker on your car.....see what happens.

There ARE still obscenity laws on the books almost everywhere.  The founding fathers where protecting the right of the people to question government and have free debates without fear of repercussions from having opinions counter to someone else.

They were NOT protecting peoples rights to run around wearing obscene words or talking about cock-sucking, cum-guzzling fuck whores in mixed company.

Grow up if you think the word "fuckers" in 3 inch high letters on a girls shirt is "harmless"
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Title of thread is wrong should be " woman (?) booted off airplane for obscene shirt".  I don't care if commie scum like her have an opinion about anything but to have that language on her shirt is tacky and against most obscenity laws.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#31]
at least one major court case has set the precedent that the 1st amendment doesn't protect public obscenity, I'll try to find the case, but the one in my mind has to do w/ a man screaming obscenities in a public park, so we'll seeif the ACLU wants to tackle this one
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:14:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Its a private company so they get to make the rules onboard the plane.

If she sues, it wont go anywhere as when she purchased the ticket, she agreed to abide by the company's rules and regulations. The contract probably had an agreement not to sue as well.

She's screwed legally, but the ACLU will piss and moan about it and probably get some shithead judge to hear the case.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:14:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I like PIE.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#34]
private company should be able do discriminate agasint anyone they want.  I do it and so should they
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#35]
The woman has the right to wear the shirt (i.e. freedom of speech, a natural right)

She DOES NOT have the right to wear it on the plane (i.e. she has the right to speak, NOT the right to be heard)

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#36]
private org. just like the boy scouts...
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ROFL!!!

Don't laugh. It could happen.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Private company - private plane.
Shirt had obscene language on it - I wouldn't want my kids around her.

I wouldn't want her around my kids or anyone else's for that matter!

Fock her!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Slap a "Fuck You" bumper sticker on your car.....see what happens.

Sort of like "Blade Trinity!"

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Yeah, kinda like the dress code for McDonald's.

No shirt
No shoes
No service

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, kinda like the dress code for McDonald's.

No shirt
No shoes
No service

Let's just say, hypothetically, (It wouldn't happen) but hypothetically I walk into Mickey D's with a "Fuck Bush" T-Shirt.  What would happen? Would they kick me out?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#43]
The title is a bit mis-leading ..... I think the F-word offended poeple, not that it was referring to the Pres. and vice-pres.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#44]
If the rules of the airline say no offensive shirts, then she has to abide by the rules.  The airline is a private company, they can do what they want.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Looks like she got booted for public obscenity, not  for criticizing the President.

+1
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:28:55 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
These idiots have no clue what the 1st Amendment is really about.
Private companies can do whatever the hell they feel like.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Welllllllll. If she wins then we, as gun owners can wear shirts that say "Fock Allah" with AR15's print all over them. And I'm thinking a couple of screen printed bandoleers of ammo as well. Free speech after all.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Screw her.It's their airplane so they should be able to have a dress code.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Let's just say, hypothetically, (It wouldn't happen) but hypothetically I walk into Mickey D's with a "Fuck Bush" T-Shirt.  What would happen? Would they kick me out?

"Would they"?, don't know. But they could.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Would they"?, don't know. But they could.

Why?
It's a free country.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top