Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/22/2004 7:15:58 AM EDT
My wife grew up on a farm and doesn't fear firearms at all.  She isn't a gun nut like me but has no fear of them.

I've seen her shoot handguns and rifles many times and she doesn't flinch when the round goes off.

I've been lucky in that regard, how are your better halves reactions to firearms?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:18:21 AM EDT
[#1]
My g/f has a handgun permit, and carries either a Beretta 92, Springfield 1911 mill-spec, or an XD-9 sub-compact. Depending on which purse she is carrying that day.

She is also a member of the NRA.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:20:17 AM EDT
[#2]
My wife hates them.  She cried when I told her I was getting a rifle (my first gun, at 35 years old).  Now I've got quite a few of them.  I cleaned 2 pistols at the kitchen table last night while she watched the baseball game.  She's accepted that I have them, but she doesn't like it at all.

I wish she would lighten up, and come shooting with me.  I'd love for her to enjoy it like I do, but, she's stubborn as hell (duh!, she's a woman) so it's not bloody likely.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:21:16 AM EDT
[#3]
My wife grew up on a farm so is used to them. She doesnt much care one way or the other, so long as I put them up so the kids cant get into them (Perfectly reasonable!)

On a side note, she doesnt shoot much. Her first time out shooting the .357 Mag, she outshot me
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:25:25 AM EDT
[#4]
My wife is a Life member of the NRA, owns an AR15, a Mini-14, two .22s, and an HK P7 which is her CCW.

And she has a graduate degree, and all of her teeth.  (Eat that, VPC.)
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:26:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I made the stupid mistake of showing m girlfriend my AR...

Then the pink AR of Cav Arms.

She wants one for Christmas D:

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:28:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:33:57 AM EDT
[#7]
My wife has a CCW but doesn't like to go shooting as much as I do. I am going to get her a Micro Buckmark for Christmas.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:34:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:34:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine shoots and has hunted a few times though she hasn't killed anything yet.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Mine understands and accepts my feelings toward my gun ownership, and she is not afraid of them, but she has no interest in shooting whatsoever.

As long as we understand that I AM going to buy and own guns ain't no problem.

SG

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:38:30 AM EDT
[#11]
My wife was indifferent when we first wed.  Her dad had a couple of rifles & shotguns in the closet and a pistol in the dresser.  Nothing major.

Now she wants to go shooting all the time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Bought a new SA XD 40cal yesterday at Cabelas and my wife said....You ARE going to teach me to shoot that aren't you!

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! She likes guns and Loves GW BUSH, That's why I married her!

I absolutely could not be with a woman who doesn't understand that guns aren't bad.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:44:37 AM EDT
[#13]
My wife grew up in a familiy that felt guns were dangerous.
(They are. For badguys)
When I first bought one, she was OK, but not thrilled.
After a couple days, she admitted she had looked at it while I was at work and it was cool.
So I took her to the range and she has liked them ever since.
I suppose the fact that I am a stickler for safety helpes.
But at the same time, I treat them as a tool, so they are not really a big deal, either.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:48:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Mine likes em so much we use gun oil in bed. JK I wish. She's not all that fond of them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:48:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Mine understands and accepts my feelings toward my gun ownership, and she is not afraid of them, but she has no interest in shooting whatsoever.

As long as we understand that I AM going to buy and own guns ain't no problem.

SG

+1
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:57:02 AM EDT
[#16]
My wife will shoot occationally, 9mm handguns, 22lr rifles & a shot gun sometimes. She likes revolvers & I'll pick up a Smith in caliber .38 for her soon. It was her idea that I get a CCW.  She fussed a bit when I bought a CETME a couple years ago. She "did not approve of the purchase" when I bought my first AR last December but tolerated it.  She hasn't seen the second one fully assembled, though she will on Sept 14  I'm gathering pieces for my 2nd build (third AR). By this fall I should be able to get her to do some trigger pulling on an AR.

FWIW, she's been very tolerant of my many firearms purchases since I walked away from alcohol 4 years ago.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:00:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I found out after I married my first wife that her family was anti-RKBA.  The guns scared her and she wanted me to get rid of them.  So I got rid of her instead.

My current significant other isn't scared of them but doens't have the desire to shoot one or learn how too either.  I would like her to get a CCW though but she isn't interested and that is fine.  She does, however, like eating all of the critters that I shoot and bring home.  Infact, she likes to go hunting with me just as a spectator.  Mabye one day
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:02:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I found out after I married my first wife that her family was anti-RKBA.  The guns scared her and she wanted me to get rid of them.  So I got rid of her instead.

Smart man!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:03:25 AM EDT
[#19]
My wife plays with weapons all the time . . . she used to be the unit armorer for her NG unit.  She has even had a go with Ma Deuce, once.  We only have a couple of .22LR at the moment, but I intend to purchase a handgun and CCW classes here soon.

Jame Retief
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:06:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I took my girlfriend shooting for the first time a couple of weeks ago. She posts here, and now wants to build an AR-15 andd shoot a feral hog. I guess she likes guns.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:10:25 AM EDT
[#21]
When we first got married (1979) she would go shooting with me. She could shoot my friends Redhawk and hit some stuff.  Those years went by and now she views guns as instruments of death,
on the other hand I told her of a road rage guy who was following me an she is soffened upa bit.
The bad part of her story is her dad commited suicide with a shotgun in the living room when she was
16.  She does like haveing a safe.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#22]
My wife carries a NAA Guardian chambered in 32. She wanted a small bond girl gun to fend off predators, the sicko's that kidnap/attack  women.

After going to the range a few times, she wants to step up to a 38. Carrying for her is a huge problem, tactically speaking. Shes no grandma, she doesn't just have one black purse she can clip a holster into.  The girl Switches between purses like I change sneakers (I don't understand, dont want to).

She is refuses to come to grips that being stylish isnt tactical sometimes, shes to skinny to wear a belt holser, she doesnt wear belts. What is a young girl to do?

I think I am goin to pick her up the kel tec 38, I think that gun is a great weapon and would carry easy for her.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:26:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Here's my wife's view of them:

In case you can't see it, it's a pink AR, and the text says, "From my cold, dead manicured hands"
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:28:03 AM EDT
[#24]
My wife and the Filipino lady who helps her around the house recently went to take care of a mess at our elderly aunt's room at a retirement home.  The Filipino lady was laughing when she saw the wooden cut-out of a revolver in the yard next door that said "We Don't Call 911".  I think she's afraid of guns but she got the message.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#25]
My wife has fired most calibers from .22 up to 50BMG so I guess she's ok with them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Here's my wife's view of them:
prodtn.cafepress.com/6/12694506_F_tn.jpg

In case you can't see it, it's a pink AR, and the text says, "From my cold, dead manicured hands"

That is pretty funny
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Over the years I've experienced most of the responses, from being enthusiastic about going shooting to not wanting to be in the same house with an EVIL GUN. It's become one of my make or break issues. Don't like the guns? B-bye. They're staying, you're leaving.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:13:15 AM EDT
[#28]
My wife has always been Ok with guns around.  She can't hit sh*t with a handgun, but is quite good with a rifle and has recently been talking about getting her own account here on Arfcom.  Our teenage son is becoming somewhat of a defacto military firearms "brain" and our daughter  can hardly wait to get her CCW in a couple of years when she turns 21.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:17:41 AM EDT
[#29]
My girlfriend has a Heritage Stealth in her glove box, a Hi-Power in her nightstand, and a .30 Carbine paratrooper under her couch.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:18:30 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
My wife hates them.  She cried when I told her I was getting a rifle (my first gun, at 35 years old).  Now I've got quite a few of them.  I cleaned 2 pistols at the kitchen table last night while she watched the baseball game.  She's accepted that I have them, but she doesn't like it at all.

I wish she would lighten up, and come shooting with me.  I'd love for her to enjoy it like I do, but, she's stubborn as hell (duh!, she's a woman) so it's not bloody likely.

+ a big 1
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#31]
I introduced my wife to my guns before we got married to see her reactions to them.  
She was very intrigued and excited about them.  
5 years after the wedding, she still loves them and is a very good shot with my handguns.  
She's a good Christian, beautiful, good cook, and likes guns.  
I'm a happy man.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:27:31 AM EDT
[#32]
My wife went from indifferent before we were married to not liking them now (I should note I'm pretty well convinced the Mother Ship replaced the girl I married with an evil twin about 6-7 years ago).
I went to my club today to pay my dues and get a gate key and she was "visibly upset" that I was taking the kids with me.

Of course, at this point I just don't care what she thinks.

Oh, and I've owned guns since I was 16, a lot longer than i've known her.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:31:55 AM EDT
[#33]
My fiance is a converted anti. She was raised by anti gun liberals but now she enjoys firearms. I am so proud of her. I am still working on geting her out shooting, we are busy with the wedding and her getting her BSN.

I am signing her up for the NRA and we are working on the CCW permit. I am teaching her how to safely handle guns and having her read "In the Gravest Extreme". Actual shooting is the next hurdle.

I love my Laura
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:36:11 AM EDT
[#34]
im a gun-aholic!!
p.s-im also the proud owner of the team member Blackriflefever
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#35]
The first time that my now-girlfriend and I did something together we went to the firing range with my guns. Before she went she was still figuring out if she liked them or not, and after we finished she was getting hooked.

After we finally got our act together and became a couple I mentioned bump-firing at the range and the conversation eventually got into machineguns. She was against them, but no more than a week later she decided they sounded "really cool" and she now wants to bump-fire.

I have been toying with the idea of getting CCW (hard process in CA, but possible) and when I first mentioned it to her she was very against it. Just yesterday as we were returning from the first day of a Defensive Tactics and Firearms class she said that she thought it could be a good idea, and we actually talked about what gun would be best for carry.

The class we're taking on the weekends goes over firearm laws, which really excites her. She is very eager to learn more things about firearms and the laws surrounding them.

For my birthday last month I bought a Beretta 8000 Cougar in 9mm, and I think she likes it more than I do!

She joined ARFCOM earlier this month with the nick "GabbasaurusRex" and got a Team Membership soon after. (And she posts lots of threads about the other non-paying members in the Team Forum, so you guys should donate to be able to defend yourselves)

ETA: If you guys saw my "That's my Girl!" thread you could see how she could hold her own with a silly anti- gun friend. Makes me proud.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#36]
My thing I was married to, never cared for them,  that was money she could have used to go be a slot-machine junkie
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#37]
My wife doesn't like them, she'll hold a gun, but she is scared to shoot it. The one and only time we were in the "woods" with my guns, she was too frightened to shoot. But, she doesn't hate guns, she does not care if I have them or not. And she understands why people support the right to own and carry guns and she is a Republican, I think I'll keep her.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Mine stated to me recently: 'we need a gun for every room in the house, so why don't you get on that.'

She's ok with them.  Has her own glock.  Likes to shoot them some but isn't a nut about it like me.  

Mostly she wants them for protection from ignorant assholes.  I think she secretly LOVES that I'm so into it.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Mine was never a anti, she is a darn good shot herself, and own's several of her own rifles. ( She is a cowboy rifle geek)

But when she saw that my firearm collection is cheaper to add to than my R/C airplane hobby she became very Pro-Gun all of the sudden!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:53:27 AM EDT
[#40]
My wife (before I met her) was a liberal, she had no clue why, they just talked a good game to her ... she is a very emotional type person. I have since fixed all that. She is now 100% conservative and votes republican (and goes shooting with me)... she has a small clue why, but mostly just does what I tell her....and she is happy with that arangement ... I know sarge will be proud of me ...
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:24:59 AM EDT
[#41]
My wife of 22yrs. runs a roadside quick-mart in rural Okla., she has her CCW and has her Glock 27 with her everywhere she goes!

We went fishing with her side of the family recently and when a couple of snakes were spotted swimming around, her mom and sister kind of jokingly told her to go and get her gun. 3 shots later with her Glock 27, there were 2 dead snakes, one from about 15ft., another from about 40-50ft. Now whenever they go off to the big city or somewhere, they always ask if she has her gun!

She likes to shoot my AR's every once in a while, but she really liked the 16" Steyr Aug I used to own, she's left handed and loved the Aug with a left-handed bolt I bought for her!

So I guess she's OKay with guns!

teamroper2004
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#42]
I've said it many times on this site.  My wife is 'almost' as much of a shooter as I am.  She managed a gun shop the first few yrs we were married, carries her own 92FS, has her own rifles (yes, plural).  Hell, she went dove hunting with me 3 days before our daughter was born!  (that was a sight...beautiful, blonde, 9 mos preggers, toting a Browning Gold 12 ga!)
Our only problem is the cost of ammo!

ETA:  of the many reasons I'll stay faithful...I know I'm not gonna find another like her, and I've seen her shoot

Gloftoe, WHERE CAN I FIND ONE OF THOSE SHIRTS?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#43]
R-32, my husband also has that airplane hobby. He flies pattern. I support both hobbies, actually 3 if you count his built up Tracker for wheeling. I enjoy all of his hobbies and he as never had to covert me,if anything I encourage him to always buy more. Now we just need a bigger gun safe.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:20:37 PM EDT
[#45]
My wife is not particularly fond of them, but she is coming around. I bought my first pistol after coming home from the grocery store one night. I went to get a few things and came back empty handed. She was upset that I didn't get the items I was sent for, so I informed her that an armed gunman came walking in right after me and fired shots into the ceiling before robbing the place. She didn't believe me until she saw the police chase on the news the next day, and thats when I brought my G19 home. She was suprised the first time she saw on of my AR's, after I was cleaning it after a range session. But since then she has gotten used to it. She is a very religious person and has strong feelings that the end will be sometime during our lifetime, so the last time she started on a rant I said "So your telling me I need to buy more ammo?", and she said " Yes!". She has not taken the initiative to learn how to fire any of my weapons though, I would feel alot better with her knowing how to use them in case it was needed when I wasn't home.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Her view is usually better than mine because she hits what she is aiming at...

Jasba,

Once I went to purchase a second car for the family and came back with a LAR Grizzly MKV....

MT
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#49]
I informed my wife, on our first date, that I was a shooter and if she had problems with that, we weren't going to go anywhere.  In fact, I met her one evening after spending the day out blasting in the desert with my family and some friends.  She didn't know much about guns, and was slightly afraid of them.  Now she occasionally asks me to take her shooting.  Not often, but I'm not complaining.  She's not an enthusiast, but she's certainly not afraid of them anymore.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:04:51 PM EDT
[#50]
My wife loves her mini-14. However, she prefers the shotgun for it's bloody effect!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top