Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2005 6:55:05 PM EDT
Took an elderly shut-in out to dinner tonight along with the family.  Afterwards we are driving around looking at the Christmas lights when I see flashing lights in the rearview.  Pull over as a sled goes zipping by, probably 50 MPH chased by the sheriff's Blazer.

Sleds are street legal here, but how many of you have ever seen one involved in a police chase?

SRM
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#1]
a snowmobile? what part of CO are you in?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Just above 10,000 feet.....

SRM
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#3]
A lowered and chopped '47 Merc?

TC

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I was TDY to McChord AFB a couple weeks ago.  I was going back to the base from Seattle and we passed a cop car following a dude on a BMX bike;  on the fast lane of I-5 south.   I couldn't believe it.  We laughed about it all the way back to billeting.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Never seen any police chases in person...let alone snowmobiles.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#6]
And I saw somebody get a parking ticket today!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#7]
We caught a guy on his third armed robbery of the month on a bicycle. Seems he was really careful about hitting businesses with gridlocked traffic surrounding them and would haul ass away on his bike beating the traffic to a safe distance. The last time the clerk say him on the bike and provided dispatch with a description and direction plus the fact that he was on a bike. We intercepted him from the air about 90 seconds after the ATL. It was classic. The responding officers wanted this guy bad as he had made two other high profile robberies and escaped the perimeter. We spotted a motorcycle unit at the hold line of an intersection and just as the bike whizzed past him my radio guy blurted out, "MOTO UNIT AT VMP AND CHINDEN SUSPECT IS PASSING YOU......NOW!". The motorcylce unit had the guy stopped in less than two blocks and another responding unit burned a perfect 180 in the same intersection while going to the scene of the robbery realizing the perp was one block behind him. Blue smoke and everything! Roasted a set of Goodyear Eagles on that manuver. I have two court summons for January for two separate chases we called for the cops this fall.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:17:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's a picture of the getwaway vehicle:

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Took an elderly shut-in out to dinner tonight along with the family.  Afterwards we are driving around looking at the Christmas lights when I see flashing lights in the rearview.  Pull over as a sled goes zipping by, probably 50 MPH chased by the sheriff's Blazer.

Sleds are street legal here, but how many of you have ever seen one involved in a police chase?

SRM

Was the suspect a overweight white male, dressed in red, with a beard and funny hat?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:21:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Whats this snowmobile thing you speak of?  

Come to think of it, what is this snow stuff?

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:54:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Saw a slow speed one the other day.  A perp at about 15 and 4 cars following him.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:56:53 PM EDT
[#12]
... Did you notice that they never caught up to me?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:06:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I never chase snowmobiles or UFO's.....

Can't catch either one of 'em.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:57:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I lost a race to a sled a few years ago and he was chased after the next race. Dunno if he got away or not-it was fast but didn't have a radiator. The thing was basically set up for 1/8th mile grass track racing and then converted to asphalt racing. That guy ended up taking a shitload of people's money!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:25:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Just above 10,000 feet.....

SRM

SRM, give my best to Bud, your mayor.

BTW...Gwen's fine, here!

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:10:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I was walking down my parking lot one day bringing in the FS bikes from the street when a mini van went blasting by doing at least 70 mph going WFO. I instantly new it was a high speed pursuit. In about 10 secs about 10 patrol units come wizzing by sirens blaring.  I finished closing up, got in the van and headed home.  At the first big intersection a bunch of patrol units come flying up and seal it off and get out with weapons drawn.  I'm thinking 'Oh shit'.  Then they jump in their vehicles and blast down to the next intersection where it turns out the perp had gotten boxed in and had gotten out with a weapon and got himself zapped in the legs .  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:49:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

SRM

I didn't see it but my brother is an LEO and has chased snowmobiles.  He is a conservation police office which gives him the right to go anywhere he feels like plus he drives a 4x4 Dodge Ram as his work truck.  He saw one with an expired registration on a trail next to the road and started following it.  The guy knew he would get in trouble for the registration so he took off.  Seeing that the trail went along the road he tried fleeing through a field, that's when my brother pulled off the road into the field to chase him.  He followed the guy all over the field.   Seeing that he wasn't going to get away the snowmobile circled back towards the road and gunned it.  As he got to the road he didn't slow down and went straight across it, crossing in an  into a new subdivision being built.  The snowmobile was weaving around the houses driving through yards...of course they just had a fresh snow and snowmobiles leave tracks, so my brother had no problem following him through the yards.  Eventually the tracks led to a tailer park where the guy finally stopped and confronted my brother.  Of course the guy on the snowmoble had a major attitude towards my brother.  Had the guy stopped for his expired registration he would have gotten a small ticket.  But since he ran from the police he was getting arrested.  When my brother told him to turn around and put his hands on the truck he refused.  So my brother tried to grab his arm and twist it to get control of him, the guy foolishly yanked his arm back and stepped away from my brother.  Big mistake, now in addition to his minor ticket and fleeing the police he just added resisting arrest.  My brother called for backup and started talking to the guy.  Within a matter of minutes several sherrif deputies and a state trooper showed up.  The dumbass ended up getting arrested and charged with no registration, fleeing the police, driving a snowmobile on the road, and resisting arrest.  Bottom line is don't try to outrun my brother...he looks at it as a challenge.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:47:31 AM EDT
[#18]
BTDT.  Twice.

First time it lasted about 1/4 block before I realized my Crown Vic could hardly hit 10mph while the snowmobile was doing 40+.  

Second time I lit a guy up to see if he'd stop.  Of course he gunned it, causing his passenger to fall off the back    I parked next to the passenger, and the driver came back to pick him up.  Gave him a big break on the tickets.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Come to think of it, what is this snow stuff?

Remember back in the BC days (Before Cable) when you turned your TV to Channel 7, and there was no Channel 7 within range, and you got that white fuzzy picture on the screen?

THAT's snow.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:13:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Was the suspect a overweight white male, dressed in red, with a beard and funny hat?

Dude you saw Santa for sure.  It's the whole globalization of the economy thing.  He just couldn't pay the elf union to do all the work so he had to outsource.  He was just picking a few things up a Walmart.  It the new way, the cops are just gonna have to deal with it.

After all they wouldn't want to ruin Christmas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top