Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/8/2004 9:47:43 AM EST
September 08, 2004

Witness: Officer killed Iraqi out of compassion

By David Rising
Associated Press

HANAU, Germany — An Army tank company commander accused of murdering a man in Iraq fatally shot him out of pity at his injuries, a witness testified Wednesday at hearings to determine whether he should face a court-martial.

Capt. Rogelio Maynulet, of Chicago, is accused of killing a driver for militant Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr while on patrol May 21 near Kufa, south of Baghdad. He has denied the charges of murder and dereliction of duty.

His unit spotted a speeding sedan believed to be carrying al-Sadr militiamen, and a chase ensued. U.S. soldiers fired shots at the vehicle, wounding the driver and a passenger.

On Wednesday, military prosecutors presented statements made to investigators by a subordinate, 1st Lt. Colin Cremin, who said Maynulet told him that “they pulled out the driver” and that part of his skull had been blown away.

“Nothing could be done for him and at that point Capt. Maynulet told you he stepped back and shot him in the base of the neck or back of the head,” said prosecutor Capt. Daniel Sennott, quoting Cremin’s earlier statement.

Cremin confirmed the statement. At another point, he described the act as a mercy killing.

“It was something he didn’t want to do, but it was the compassionate response. It was definitely the human response,” Cremin said.

He testified that it was impossible to transport the injured man to get medical care, because “it would have compromised the lives of the soldiers.”

Prosecutors cited other incidents in which, they maintained, Maynulet broke military rules.

They said he had carried a non-regulation weapon and once broke into an Iraqi police station to retrieve an identification card for a civilian contractor.

However, several witnesses, including officers and enlisted soldiers who served with him, described Maynulet as a calm man who was willing to help Iraqis.

The driver Maynulet is accused of killing was identified by relatives as Karim Hassan, 36. The family does not dispute that he was working for al-Sadr.

An unmanned military aircraft caught the killing on tape and that recording was introduced into evidence Wednesday, military spokesman Maj. Michael Indovina said.

Reporters were asked to leave as an expert witness in neurosurgery viewed the tape because the hearing officer, Maj. Michael J. Fadden, said it might show the capabilities of U.S. technology in Iraq.

The so-called Article 32 hearing, the military equivalent of a U.S. grand jury investigation, is scheduled to end Friday. No immediate decision is expected on a court-martial.

At the last round of hearings in July, Maynulet’s former commander, Col. Michael Ryan, testified that he was an “excellent officer” who was “special, trustworthy and honest.” Maynulet said he was confident the charges would be dropped.

Maynulet’s command of his tank company was suspended May 25 but he remains with his unit, serving on the division’s planning staff.

http://www.navytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-343053.php
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:49:13 AM EST
guy probably thumped a cigarette butt at him......
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:54:54 AM EST
<SIGH>

It seems this beauracracy spends more time investigating itself than trying to fight the war.

Why is this even an issue to begin with? If the guy's wounds were that severe, he was not going to survive. If he'd been in a hospital, the doctors would have injected him full of morphine and left him until he died. Considering the hospital wasn't an option here, the morphine came in the form of a bullet from a soldier who valued life far more than his enemy would ever know. How many of the enemy would have felt obligated to see to it a wounded US soldier with no chance to live was finished off to end his suffering? Those bastards would have did everything they could to add to the suffering.

-CH

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:00:44 AM EST
If as reported, the Captain did the right thing. What would they have you do, leave a terminally wounded man to suffer his last few minutes?

We're going to lose this fucking war if we keep playing nice and "PC" about everything we do. Shit like this is doing nothing more than giving aid, comfort and legitimacy to the enemy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:01:46 AM EST
War is hell. Better him dead then another US soldier.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:09:59 AM EST
OK… next time leave him writhing in agony with the top of his skull blown off…

Our (UK) army is up against the same shit, a soldier has been charged by the civilian Police with Murder for shooting an Iraqi despite a Military investigation ruling he was in the right to do so…

Andy
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:10:03 AM EST
For the record if this were to happen, take a knee and pretend to monitor pulse at the neck, start a prayer out loud , apply pressure at the neck at the carotid, sub-carotid arteries, continue until...

I'm gonna e-mail the "Federalist", we need to stop this action againt the Capt.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:10:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/8/2004 10:10:58 AM EST by Rip_Roarin_Wacko]

Originally Posted By Airwolf:
If as reported, the Captain did the right thing. What would they have you do, leave a terminally wounded man to suffer his last few minutes?

I don't think the officer in question did a damn thing wrong. And I don't think the Army should do anything other than ask him if he's feeling okay about it.

BUT... to answer your question, yeah I would have let the Iraqi fuck stick suffer his last moments on earth before he went to paradise to bump ugly with his 72 virgins. Fuck 'em! I'm sure all those celestial virgins love getting banged by guys with brains dripping all over the boobs.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:15:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By Rip_Roarin_Wacko:

I don't think the officer in question did a damn thing wrong. And I don't think the Army should do anything other than ask him if he's feeling okay about it.

BUT... to answer your question, yeah I would have let the Iraqi fuck stick suffer his last moments on earth before he went to paradise to bump ugly with his 72 virgins. Fuck 'em! I'm sure all those celestial virgins love getting banged by guys with brains dripping all over the boobs.

While I agree with your sentiments, the difference between quickly putting a man out of his suffering and standing there and watching him slowly die is what makes us different from them. I for one don't want to see our people reduced to the level of the Barbarians that we are fighting.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:43:57 PM EST
Okay get this, the soldiers shooting at their car is ok but once you're close enough to get a good shot, it's MURDER??

I think the founding fathers would roll their eyes in DISGUST that one could be accused of MURDER during a WAR
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:01:41 PM EST

Okay get this, the soldiers shooting at their car is ok but once you're close enough to get a good shot, it's MURDER??

I think the founding fathers would roll their eyes in DISGUST that one could be accused of MURDER during a WAR

+1
The Capt. is a hero, I hope he will be exonerated

The driver Maynulet is accused of killing was identified by relatives as Karim Hassan, 36. The family does not dispute that he was working for al-Sadr.

I would of let this piece of shit terrorist bleed out.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:04:54 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:06:09 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:07:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/8/2004 1:07:21 PM EST by Dolomite]
I don't understand the charges - is he accused of wasting a bullet?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:08:58 PM EST
definitely should have let him bleed out, it wasn't within his authority to kill the guy and he will most likely be hammerd for it. regardless of his intent or reasons he broke the law.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:13:05 PM EST
Meh, most military trials exhibit a good bit more common sense than your average jury trial. He will be back on duty next week. The sad part is, this guys career (if he wanted one)is over either way.

Lesson to be learned here... Let them bleed out. It's what they would do for you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:15:05 PM EST
That sure is a F#$%@ing shame that our own spy planes are used as court martial evidence, in the old days we woulda parked a giant a giant vat of acid in the evidence room next to the videotape that woulda spilled over.....
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:59:20 AM EST

In this case.....yes. I don't know official Military rules, but they more they suffer - the better in my opinion
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:22:01 AM EST

definitely should have let him bleed out, it wasn't within his authority to kill the guy and he will most likely be hammerd for it. regardless of his intent or reasons he broke the law.

No mercy for terrorists, law takes a 2nd seat.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:06:17 AM EST
if the Iraqi insurgents captured a badly wounded US soldier they would do the same to us, you think they would rush one of our guys to a hospital?

Top Top