Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2005 11:29:02 PM EDT
Read it years ago.  Think I might find a copy and read it again.  I think it's got to be the best shtf, survival book I've ever read.  Anyone suggest anything similar?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:35:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Not SHTF, but Footfall by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournell is the most realistic alien invasion book.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:35:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Not SHTF, but Footfall by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournell is the most realistic alien invasion book.

Same authors too, I believe.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:41:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same authors too, I believe.

Yup
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:43:30 PM EDT
[#4]
read that years ago as well. Comet hits earth,wham if i remember correctly. My mother had tons of apocalyptic paperbacks and made me read from a really young age. Shes a firm believer in the motto "always be prepared"
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:44:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Old classic book. Most of Niven and Pournelle's works are good, excepting their recent stuff.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:01:23 AM EDT
[#6]
read it years ago pretty good book
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:03:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:03:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I wasn't too keen on the writing style, but the content was excellent regarding a complete society breakdown.  The authors put a lot of thought into what could (would) likely happen in the event of a global disaster.  Sort of makes me wonder how many rifles/how much ammo/what's in the authors' bug out bags.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:04:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Read it.. They had it in my junior high school library, along with a few other SHTF-type books.  Looking back, I think the librarian was a closet survivalist

ETA- there was an interesting series of books for young readers titled "After the Bomb".  Reading level was pretty basic and there wasn't an overage of useful info, but it piqued an interest.

There was another book whose title I can't remember.. The first half was a fictional account of a group surviving nukes in California that read like a "how-to" handbook.  The second half was strictly "how to", including a design for a home brew radiometer.  It was a straight trade paperback, but I'd love to find out what it was and find another copy.

ETA2- It was "Pulling Through" by Dean Ing.  Just found it on amazon.  Fantastic book.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:06:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Yup.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:10:08 AM EDT
[#11]
That was the first time I ever heard of the "Earth Firsters".   Kind of funny they were made into the bad guys in the book.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:25:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That was the first time I ever heard of the "Earth Firsters".   Kind of funny they were made into the bad guys in the book.

For the other side of that, check out "The Monkeywrench Gang" by Edward Abbey.  That book essentially spawned "Earth First!".  For those of a less than eco-terrorist bent, it's still a funny read and an informative look into various methods of sabotage and such.  There's actually an edition out with illustration by R. Crumb that I've been meaning to get hands on.

In the same vein as that is an EF publication titled "Ecodefense: A Guide to Monkeywrenching" with a forward by Abbey.  it consists entirely of various sabotage tactics from spiking trees to blowing tires.  After reading through it, I can definitively say those guys are nuckin futs.

I've never really ascribed to Abbey's politics, but his naturalist writings and general rants are very amusing and well written.  He was quite the 2nd amendment supporter as well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:31:35 AM EDT
[#13]
i read it a long time ago--i liked it

has anyone read Z is for Zechariah??  its not an adult book, more written for teenagers

its about survival after a nuclear blast--classic 80's  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:03:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Good book.  When the SHTF, watch out for cannibals...  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:08:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Excellent read.  One thing I really liked is that even those who were prepared before hand still suffered pretty badly, such as the guy who had all his preparations stolen.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:09:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Read it years ago.  Think I might find a copy and read it again.  I think it's got to be the best shtf, survival book I've ever read.  Anyone suggest anything similar?

Excellent read.  Loved the guy surfing the tsunami w-a-a-a-y inland.

Believe it or naot after all these years, it still bothers me that thelead character's last name was 'Hamner'.  Why?  I really don't know.

Footfall was an excellent invasion book - complete with human prisoners.  Had to read it 'cause it was the next Pournelle-Niven book I saw after I read 'The Mote in God's Eye' - at truly great book.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:19:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I wasn't too keen on the writing style, but the content was excellent regarding a complete society breakdown.  The authors put a lot of thought into what could (would) likely happen in the event of a global disaster.  Sort of makes me wonder how many rifles/how much ammo/what's in the authors' bug out bags.

I would imagine they carry a good loadout. I can't remember which one (I think it was Pournelle), but one of those guys was friends with Mel Tappan and wrote the foreword to one of Tappan's books.

Another good apocalyptic comet book is Aftermath. It's an online-only book. The only drawback is that it has a lot of sex scenes in the writing that some may find.......unpalatable.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Lucifers Hammer was what about 25 years ago? I read hundreds of paperbacks when I was a kid (My family traveled alot) but that one and "the Stand' stuck out
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:24:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Hot fudge sundae falls on Tuesday!

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Lucifers Hammer was an interesting read.  Pretty much coming to pass in N.O..

A good companion to that is the 33 year old book by Oliver Lange, Vandenberg.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:31:11 AM EDT
[#21]
yup good read
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would imagine they carry a good loadout. I can't remember which one (I think it was Pournelle), but one of those guys was friends with Mel Tappan and wrote the foreword to one of Tappan's books.

Indeed it was Jerry Pournelle.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Read Lucifer's Hammer years ago. Liked it so much it stayed on my bookshelf, to be read again someday.

A good companion to it is: Doom Wind. It is about a comet passing near earth, and it's gravitaional pull, pulls a large clump of atmosphere into a big lump, which is released suddenly as the comet passes on.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:42:46 AM EDT
[#24]

Read both Hammer and Footfall. Hammer was better - a little move developed writing style IMHO.

Quoted:
Read it.. They had it in my junior high school library, along with a few other SHTF-type books.  Looking back, I think the librarian was a closet survivalist

ETA- there was an interesting series of books for young readers titled "After the Bomb".

Found one by Gloria Miklowitz... same one?

www.fetchbook.info/fwd_topics/id_1685014.html

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:45:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Read both Hammer and Footfall. Hammer was better - a little move developed writing style IMHO.

Quoted:

ETA- there was an interesting series of books for young readers titled "After the Bomb".

Found one by Gloria Miklowitz... same one?

www.fetchbook.info/fwd_topics/id_1685014.html

That's it.  There were two sequels, "Week one" and "Week two".  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#27]
cnatra: alexisofsanantonio. (I.e., "tag")
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:52:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Good reads..both of them.  I noticed someone also mentioned the surfing scene in the book.  Great stuff.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

ETA- there was an interesting series of books for young readers titled "After the Bomb".  Reading level was pretty basic and there wasn't an overage of useful info, but it piqued an interest.

There was another book whose title I can't remember.. The first half was a fictional account of a group surviving nukes in California that read like a "how-to" handbook.  The second half was strictly "how to", including a design for a home brew radiometer.  It was a straight trade paperback, but I'd love to find out what it was and find another copy.

ETA2- It was "Pulling Through" by Dean Ing.  Just found it on amazon.  Fantastic book.

Thanks! Gotta go find that. I liked the short stories "Cathouse" and the follow up "Briar Patch" from the Man-Kzin Wars that he wrote.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:43:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Thats the one about the comet and then has the cannibal army guys ? right ?
I read that about 20 years ago might have to checkout footfall sounds kinda cool
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:58:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Lucifers Hammer was an interesting read.  Pretty much coming to pass in N.O..

A good companion to that is the 33 year old book by Oliver Lange, Vandenberg.

Interestingly enough, several months ago I pulled them both out of a box in the garage full of 70's college stuff, and put them on the shelf.  Just finished re-reading Lucifers Hammer on a plane last week, and had concluded that I needed to update my SHTF stuff.

Lucifers Hammer would be ripe for a sequal.  Like two years later, after they had run power from the nuc. plant to the Senator's place, battled the cannibal army a little more, and gotten some crops in.

Need more AMMO.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top