Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2002 6:40:43 AM EDT

On June 5, the Kuwaiti daily Al-Watan published documents it received from a Cairo branch of a Middle Eastern bank showing that Arafat had deposited $5.1 million into his personal account - to support his wife and daughter, who live in Paris and Switzerland. According to the same report, the money came from Arab aid funds that had been allocated for the Palestinian people.
View Quote

From and upcoming article to be published July 29 on the NationalReview.com website:

NATIONAL REVIEW

July 29, 2002.

And a Thief, Too
Yasser Arafat takes what he likes.

By Rachel Ehrenfeld

President Bush's call to change the Palestinian leadership and to bring
reform, accountability, and transparency to the Palestinian Authority should
focus attention on the financial corruption of Arafat's regime. Before
Bush's speech, Condoleezza Rice, the national security adviser, accurately
summed up the situation in the San Jose Mercury News: "Frankly, the
Palestinian Authority, which is corrupt and cavorts with terror, . . . is
not the basis for a Palestinian state moving forward." Judging by the
response of Yasser Arafat and his lieutenants, however, no such change is
likely anytime soon.

How corrupt is the PA? How much money have Arafat et al. stashed away? Where
did the money come from? How long have we known about it?

The first public evidence that Arafat's Palestine Liberation Organization had at least $10 billion came to light when the Pakistani-owned rogue Bank of Credit and Commerce International was shut down by the Bank of England on July 5, 1991. Britain's National Criminal Intelligence Service (NCIS) published its own estimate of the PLO's loot in a 1993 briefing paper on organizations threatening the UK, calling it "the richest of all terrorist
organizations." NCIS estimated the PLO's ill-gotten gains at $8-10 billion. In addition, the PLO enjoyed an annual income of about $1.5-2 billion from "do nations, extortion, payoffs, illegal arms dealing, drug trafficking, money laundering, fraud, etc."
View Quote

[url]http://www.public-integrity.org/[/url]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 6:44:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Not to get all racist / ethnic, but on THIS issue, I'd take somebody with a last name of O'Leary or Kozlowski more seriously than I'd take a -feld, -berg, -stein, -man, or any name of Palestinian derivation.

They BOTH got axii (plural of "ax") to grind.

Link Posted: 7/12/2002 6:55:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Not to get all racist / ethnic, but on THIS issue, I'd take somebody with a last name of O'Leary or Kozlowski more seriously than I'd take a -feld, -berg, -stein, -man, or any name of Palestinian derivation.

View Quote

Actually, they just seem to be the only folks in the media paying (or calling) attention to this type of stuff.  Seems like the man on the street knows Arafat is a POS but the people with the power to do something about it, especially the euro-pussies, act like he is a choir boy.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 6:56:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Read the bio of the author, there's no hidden agenda.  Are you assuming an Israeli and a Jew can't offer anything of substance?  Besides, this is right up your alley, with the accounting angle and all that...  why not critique the information.

You wouldn't want someone to assume all those who live in the South are racists, would you?   [;D]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:03:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
 Are you assuming an Israeli and a Jew can't offer anything of substance?  
View Quote

Not at all.

Basically, I'm saying that if a particular ethnicity was homicide bombing my country, I prolly wouldn't be the most objective to speak of OTHERS of the same ethnicity.

We're all human. And it just makes good sense when looking for the truth to UNDERSTAND the possibility of a natural, human tendany to be jaded by experience. A Kozlowski or an O'leary would be more likely to be less jaded.

Besides, this is right up your alley, with the accounting angle and all that...  why not critique the information.

View Quote

There is scant little info here to do an accounting analysis. Accountants get into trouble when they don't have ENUF info to make a decision. [:D]

What I want to know is HOW do you have access to an "[b]upcoming[/b] article [b]to be [/b]published July 29 on the NationalReview.com website."

[}:D]

Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:14:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Got it in an email from a professor of Middle Eastern Studies at Emory Univ....  why *that* would be in the South!    [:D]

My guess is it's a pre-publication draft.  Either way, theres much more of the same at the website...

Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:18:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Got it in an email from a professor of Middle Eastern Studies at Emory Univ....  why *that* would be in the South!    [:D]

View Quote

Why do I get the feeling that some poeple at this site are MUCH MORE well connected than I am??? [}:D]

I suspect my accounting instincts are part of what make me NOT take the whole Middle Eastern situation at "face value." Accountants (the honest ones anyway) want ALL the facts. When only part of the facts are known, and people still draw conclusions anyway, us accountants tend to get skeptical.

garand(JustACountryBoy-ThankGodI'mACountryBoy)man

Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:47:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, you do gotta wonder where all that money the Pals recieve goes.  In the end, it always seems to be about money, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:58:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, you do gotta wonder where all that money the Pals recieve goes.  In the end, it always seems to be about money, doesn't it?
View Quote

I wonder if Arafatheads wife has a shoe fettish like Imelda Marcos.

[:D]

Link Posted: 7/12/2002 8:04:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Do they let them wear shoes there?
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 8:10:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hmm... garand"man", guess we don't have to take him seriously as well.. :)
*wink*
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Do they let them wear shoes there?
View Quote

Well, since they're living in Switzerland and Paris (instead of their beloved Palestine, apparently), I imagine they do wear shoes.  I doubt they'd be stoned for showing their face, elbows, legs or hair as in other Muslim countries, though.  And I seriously doubt they are wearing anything BUT the latest fashions.

Reminds me a bit of our own Jesse Jackson or other professional rabble-rousers.  They always manage to end up with a bit more money than when they started.  And the per capita income has dropped by 50-100% for the average Palestinian.  Maybe if they keep blowing themselves up, that figure will rise...
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Hmm... garand"man", guess we don't have to take him seriously as well.. :)
*wink*
View Quote

Good one. Ya got me!!!!

[BD]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top