Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/17/2006 12:51:41 PM EDT
I have a wisdom tooth that has to be removed.  I'm not looking forward to this.  Let's hear the horror stories.  

Update:  240806 1600hrs  I just got it pulled.  No pain yet, the entire side of my face is numb.  I had to get 2 sets of shots to numb my mouth.  Needles usually don't bother me, but having one in my mouth was freaking me out.  The dentist did a great job.  The whole tooth popped out pretty easily.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Never had any.

Link Posted: 8/17/2006 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Got 'em pulled, took prescribed ibuprofen even there didn't seem to be any pain, kept the holes clean, and then the holes closed up and everything was normal.

It seems that I was lucky, because my brother and sister had a bit more trouble than that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#3]
You will be fine.

I got all 4 removed at once. yes, pretty sore for a few days (good pills though!)
but no major swelling or dry sockets.

Just keep irrigating and FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS and you will pull through.

See if you can get the doctor to take pics
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 12:56:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I hade my last one removed when I was 30.  Ended up with a dry socket.  Not the most excruciating pain I have ever felt, but pretty damn close...
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 12:57:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I had all 4 of mine cut out on the day of the ground invasion in Gulf War 1.  They didn't knock you out back then, so it was an experience.  Spent the next 5-6 days watching the war unfold over the news in a haze drooling on myself due to the codeine.  My girlfriend had hers taken out a few years later and I made sure she was knocked out for the procedure.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Novacaine here.  The Dr had to drill and fracture one that was impacted.  On the 4th and last tooth, he stabbed over and over with novacaine but couldn't get it numb--I finally told him to quit messing around and just pull it (bad move).

No good pills either except plain old OTC aspirin.  Drove myself home after.  It was a very bad experience.  The dentist that did the work later had his license revoked.

Ty
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:07:25 PM EDT
[#8]
my face was the size of a basketball.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I had my first one pulled while on deployment in Korea for Team Spirit 84. A bottom tooth was irritating the tooth coming in on top so the Navy dentist (I was USMC) decided to pull the tooth that was already in.
It was a little disconcerting that I was getting oral surgery in a dental clinic set up under a tent. It was more so that the proceedure was to be done by a Navy dentist not much older than me. Everything went fine though except that when the Doc was numbing me up, he stuck the needle through my tongue. Rookie mistake I guess.
The pain wasn't bad but the Doc actually told me that the best thing for the pain would be to smoke a joint. I shit you not, that's what he said. I wasn't a dope smoker anyway.
He did give me some extra strnegth tylenol and 24 hours no duty. So, I went to the Ville and did the D&F all night.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I still have mine in my head.  I have a big mouth.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I had six wisdom teeth - two upper, four lower - pulled at the same time.  The extra set of lowers were coming in horizontally from the vertical portion of the jaw.

I was sixteen at the time and had a test in high school the next day.  Between the pain killers and the aches, I couldn't concentrate at all, so I asked the teacher if I could postpone the test until later.  His reply: "Let me get this straight - you're telling me you're too high to take the test?"

"Yup."

He got a good laugh, so he let me slide until the next day.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You will be fine.

I got all 4 removed at once. yes, pretty sore for a few days (good pills though!)
but no major swelling or dry sockets.

Just keep irrigating and FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS and you will pull through.

See if you can get the doctor to take pics

+1

I had mine done in May... However I had one complication - I followed every instruction to the letter, but I still had one socket get infected. Just ensure you rinse good, and if you think it's infected, it probably is so don't call your wife/SO in to see if it is infected, because it will pop when they're looking at it and you won't kiss them on the mouth for a month or so afterward...
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:27:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Absolutely, 100% true: When I had my wisdom teeth out, I was put under. Well, during the procedure, I had a dream that I was fighting off people who were trying to kill me or something. When I woke up, I found out it wasn't a dream.

Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:36:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I had all 4 done the the day of the first night of the air war (gulf war 1). Percocets and TV for a few days. The teeth were all pointed top-forward (impacted) and I remember the doc having to break up the teeth and little pieces of tooth hitting me in the face. Surprisingly, the pain wasn't a big deal, I was carefully eating pizza the next day.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
All 4 removed at once.
3 days in Hospital. They forgot to remove one set of stitches, but they fell out a week later.
It was horrible.....good luck

3 DAYS??? What, were they growing on your spleen???
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I had my two left wisdom teeth removed when I was in my late teens or early 20's.  Both were thru the gums but the bottom one had a root break off and the dentist had to do a LOT of digging to get that root out.  That one took a LONG time to heal and I had a steady diet of blood for several weeks after.    

The other two I had pulled at the same time I had a rapid palatal expansion (they literally split your uppper jaw in half and widen it).  It was bad enough that I came out of sedation while they were still sawing my jaw in half and pounding on it with a chisel and mallet but as they were getting ready to pack it in I asked about the wisdom teeth.  The response was "we didn't pull your wisdom teeth".  I told him they were supposed to so he checked orthodontist's orders and proceeded to pull the two wisdom teeth.  Problem was, the anesthetic was starting to wear off by then!  The only time I've ever had pain during a dental procedure and even that wasn't too bad.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I had to have mine removed a couple of weeks before my isnurance kicked in years ago, 1000 bucks cash. I did not eat for 5 days and was out of work for 11 days because of the swelling. My entire lower jaw and lower lip was numb for over a month, I had to use straws because I poured my drinks down my chin. I am so glad I never have to go through that again.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:48:39 PM EDT
[#19]
All four pulled at the same time, little novocain, rusty plier. Had to walk to the dentist's office too. Uphill both ways. Through the snow.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I am 37 and still have mine.

Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:52:02 PM EDT
[#22]
All four in one sitting, with nothin' but novacaine, that isn't 100% effective on me.
The two lower ones were impacted, and had to be sawed in half while still in my gums to get them out.
Then the bastad only prescribed me 4 weak codene tylonols, which didn't do much. The worst part was trying to smoke with sucking the clots out of the sockets.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:52:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Got my bottom two removed when I was a teenager! was pitting blood for a day but wasnt too bad. They knocked me out for that one! In the army I had my top left one removed. Later thay night I had some wonton soup to eat and got a whole carrot piece stuck in the cavity. Doc pulled the carrot out the next day and it turned into a dry socket. Felt like someone hit me in the left side of the face with a lead pipe! Its not fun I can tell you that! That last little bastard is staying in my head!
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Kirk, not a big deal at all...they account for #1 on my list of 7 plus times I was knocked out, cut open, had something removed and then put back together.

Does that make you feel better?

Seriously, you'll be ok. DO remember to sleep with an old pillow with a case you don't care about for the days following: you'll drool and bleed on the pillow.
YMMV
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Had all 4 done at the same time. No gas, just novocaine. They had to cut into the jaw to get the lower ones out. I told him I was tolerant to opiates (had it done during my string of knee surgeries) and that t3's weren't gonna cut it--guess what he sent me home with?

When the novocaine wore off and the pain set in, I was unable to go back to his office to raise hell about the pain meds because I was curled up in the fetal position on my couch. My wife went for me--she was far less pleasant that I would have been!

Haven't gone back to the dentist since...
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#26]
IIRC I had 3 wisdom teeth, all removed at one time under local.  The dentist had to break at least one of them as it was wrapped around the bone.  Jack Daniels to the rescue later.  Not that bad altogether.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I was out, but it did not hurt at all. The stitches came out in one and had to go to sleep the next night with a tea bag in my mouth to clot the blood! Thats was great waking up the next day. You will most likely hace pieces on clotted blood comming out if this happens lol.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#28]
I had all four done at the same time by an oral surgeon using only local anesthetic.  She pulled two out without any problems.  In fact, it was a little distressing to see how easily she pulled them out.  The third took a little more effort but was not a big deal either.  She had to work on the fourth for quite some time because it had hooked roots that she had to completely remove.

Recovery was a breeze.  I had no pain to speak of.  In fact, I never even bothered to get my prescription for painkillers filled.  I was back at work the next day, and my mouth healed quickly with no problems.

I wonder if oral surgeons generally do a better job than dentists?

Link Posted: 8/17/2006 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#29]
all 4 of mine came in just fine
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#30]
No horror stories but, I had to get six removed, not four.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Had all four taken out at once with novacaine. I explained to the detntist that I could still feel some of the things he did and he proceeded anyway. First one came out in 2 seconds and I was greatly relieved.

Then it went south. The other three were impacted. The device he used to pull them kept sliding off the teeth while making a wonderful crunching noise. Finally he gave up, pulled out a little stainless hammer and what appeared to be a chisel. I had this done 8 years ago and can still remember the sound. Final one was a bear and the guy literally got up on the chair, put one knee on my chest and started pounding my skull with his hammer and chisel. Total time in chair 1 hour 20 minutes.

When I was done he told me to go across the street to the Sav-On and immediately take the Vicodin's he had prescribed. I visited the pharamacy and realized I could not really speak as my lips and tongue were still numb and my jaw wasn't working either. I went home without taking the painkillers. About an hour later I started to feel the pain increase and decided to take the Vicodin. Having heard all of the stories of this wonder painkiller I expected to feel fine. Twas only after I consumed the entire bottle that I realized that Vicodin does not work for me. Spent the next day working with ibuprofen, tylenol (and beer) looking for the right combination.

I could not eat for three days and did not eat anything substantially solid for 2 weeks. The main problem was not pain from my teeth, but the fact that my jaws muscles were so sore from being forced wide open.

Ask me about my Vasectomy.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#32]
i'm getting 4 removed when I come back from school for Thanksgiving break
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Had all four pulled at once when I was 13. No dry sockets or really bad pain.

Link Posted: 8/17/2006 3:54:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Had all four of mine pulled at once when I was 18 .Two were growing in sideways or impacted while the others were begining to push on my back teeth.

So I go in in the morning with my girlfriend there to drive me home after. Get in and sit in the chair and they strap on the mask and I'm out in less than three or four seconds. I wake up feeling loopy and my girfriend and a nurse are trying to get me to walk down the hall to a recovering area. As we walk down the hall I start yelling out profanity laced incoherent discussions with everyone I pass by. My girfriend is trying to get me to settle down and I start laughing and cussing. After a few minutes my head starts to clear and they dump me into a car and say good ridance.

Did not eat that day at all and needed something so I grabed a milk shake later in the day. After drinking about half of it I threw up the milk shake and a ton of blood. Yummy!

About two weeks later my one side got infected and was swelling up with puss. What a pleasant picture and sight that was. So I bought a bottle of peroxide and gargled non stop for a week which did cure the infection. No adverse effects from the infection , at least that I know of. I did have a couple of holes in my gum line for awhile until they healed up. The doc said they had to chisel two out because of how deep they were.

Link Posted: 8/17/2006 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Two things stand out in my memory:

The crunching sound as he tore them loose from my jaw;

and my self medication for the bleeding. I kept spitting blood because my mouth was watering, so I took a few hits of some "green tobacco", which dryed out my mouth and the bleeding stopped. If there was ever a medical use for it...that is it.

Link Posted: 8/17/2006 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Me, USMC Sgt getting my seperation med stuff done.

Him, young Navy Dentist looking for experience.

You can guess the rest. He cut out all 4 of them at one time while I listened to the popping and cracking. The noise was much worse than the pain. Swear to God my toes were cramping and my neck was sore before it was over.

Through out the whole ordeal the look on this squids face almost made it worth it. My suffering made his day I think.

It was free though........
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Three at one time. Between the Versed, Demerol, and Percocet, it wasn't too bad. Definitely go for conscious sedation if insurance/finances allow.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#39]
I had my wisdom teeth removed when I was in my early twenties. The oral surgeon knocked me out, but when I came to, he asked me if I remembered him scraping my jawbone? When I answered him, I had no hesitation. The answer: "Yes". I still recall the scraping.

I was puffed up like a chipmunk afterwards and the bruise extended from my face, down my chest, and past my sternum. Percoset didn't help much, but I only took it once. Oddly enough, I could talk just fine. The doctor called me later in the evening after the surgery and was surprised that I sounded okay.

My fondest memory of having my wisdom teeth removed? I sneezed (bright red) on the third day after the surgery and only then realized that I had lost my sense of smell and had just gotten it back.

Link Posted: 8/17/2006 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#40]
I had all four removed about a month agao.  Zero complications.  Follow the docs advice.  I was knocked out for the surgery so it was no big deal.  Good luck and follow instructions man.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#41]
At The Basic School, the Navy Dentists decided that my Wisdom Teeth needed to come out.

All four.

From the looks of the xrays, it appeared that my Wisdom Teeth wanted to trade places with each other. They were tunneling their way under the other teeth.
The Dentist gave me a locat, and then proceeded to go in from the side. He used a tiny buzz saw and pliers. he had to cut into the side of my gums. When he'd get a hold of a tough one, he'd pull with the pliers.
It wouldn't come out.
So he decided to break the teeth up inside my mouth. He was squeezing on the pliers so hard, that one of the teeth shattered, sending pieces all around the room.
I had a little gas in me, so I started giggling.

The he asked me to take my fist, and brace it under my jaw.

Now, I couldn't speak with all the blood and gauze in my mouth, but he could tell from the look in my eyes that I was wondering what the "fist under the jaw" thing was all about.
He explained: "It's so I don't knock your lower jaw off, when I use the hammer and chisel."
Oh...

So.. he started pounding away at my lower wisdom teeth with the hammer and chisel. Needless to say, it started to hurt a bit. Even so, I still kept giggling because it was pretty FUNNY, how much it hurt.

My head hurt for a few days after that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm 35 and just had 2 on my right side removed. They had to use 5 novicane(sp?) shots during the procedure to keep me numb. I was sore for 24hrs. I drove myself there and home.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Had to get all four removed.
The doctor missed the vein in my left arm so he to put the anesthesia in the right arm. My left arm felt like a ton.
I was out pretty quickly. I woke up from the procedure and was unable to control the drooling. That was interesting. The next morning, I woke up with  that leaked from the stitches. My breath smelled and tasted like I ate and drank  roadkill  and let it dry in my mouth for a couple of hours.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#44]
The first one I was eating nachos an hour later.

The second one I ended up in the hospital for 5 days.

The third and fourth they put me under to remove cause they were in sideways but had not effects after the removal.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 7:11:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Still have all two of mine!! Yes two!!! The dentist the last time i was there(it's a new dentist) said hey why'd you only have two of your wisdom tetth removed, I told him i never had any removed they all still there!

He x-rayed, there is absolutely NO evidence i ever had upper wisdom teeth or was even born with them!

I'M A FREAK!!!!
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Oh hell. When I got mine done, there was almost no pain involved. After I got them taken out, I called my Dad and said "Man I am MESSED UP!" (from the sleepy dope). Then I yelled "Hey doc, you got this shit in a six pack!" The young nurses got a kick out of me.

The only problem was in my goofy state, I convinced my Mom that I was capable of eating McD's french fries ON THE WAY HOME! What was she thinking letting me do that. I prolonged my bleeding by doing that, so don't be dumb. Other than that, its no big deal.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#47]
I had to have all 4 out at once. Two impacted and something or other fucked up with the other two. Well, my cheap ass insurance company covered the procedure, ...but not the anasthetic. So they put needle to gums, I threw on the headphones of my mini-disc player and a-hammering they went. CRACK-CRACK- SQUIRT!! [tooth chunk flies onto lap] HAMMER, HAMMER...CRA-ACK!!! headphones don't distract you much when the noises are coming from INSIDE your head (especially when the dentist is beatin' your noggin like a pimp you owe money). One Family Guy boxed set and a whole lot of Codeine, jello and iced tea later, good as new.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Left side teeth removed when I was 21.  No problems.  I watied until I was 42 before removing the right side teeth.  Unfortunately I waited too long and the lower one had damaged molar in fornt of it.   So after they were removed the wisdom teeth, it was root canal and crown time for the molar.    Basically a whole month of people jamming their fists into my mouth and a dry socket to boot.  

When the upper tooth was being removed there was lots of crunching noises going on.  Oral surgeon says: "Don't you just love the sound effects?"  Bottom tooth had to be sectioned and removed in pieces.  After it was all over and I am getting out of the chair he asks how I feel.  I say "A lot more fun than my vasectomey and I can stand straighter too."  
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#49]
No horror story here. Mine came out, no pain. The pressure felt a little funny, but no pain. I was given feel good pills and everything was copasetic.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#50]
I had a dry socket...

THAT was painful. Like the worst tothache you can imagine. The worst part was the first time the doc packet the socket. The cool thing was 30 seconds after he packed it the pain was about 10% of what it had been, and about 15 minutes later the pain was virtually gone.

Too bad he kept telling me to wait it out for about 5 days before I finally convinced him I had a dry socket.

ETA spelling
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top