Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2001 5:35:18 PM EDT
I've seen a couple of posts in the "Equipment Exchange" of late of people offering computers, CD players, etc... in trade for firearms.

Don't people realize that the guns will only go up in value, while the electronics will be a door-stop in a couple of years (or less)?

Any input?
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I agree, but many people live in the 'now' and I suppose don't care.

I used to be someone who always had to have the latest computer... cpu, motherboard etc.  Not anymore, my priorities changed a few years ago. [:D]
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Some people have to have all the latest electronics, in a very short time it's just old stuff that will not support any software.  On the other hand, I have an 1890 Winchester that still shoots todays, "hardware".  My 1911 is still as good as the day is was made and my AR's will be passed down to my Grandchildren as working equipment.  My old 8088 is just junk.
Simper Fi
Bill
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I remember some months ago on this board a guy was trying to trade his brand-new laptop computer for a pre-ban Colt AR.  He actually had some guy on the hook to do the deal!

In five years, the Colt would still be worth $xxxx, while the laptop would be worth absolute $zero$.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had a couple of electronics up for trade on the equipment exchange. Alot of people inquire about these type of items and I have met alot of cool people here from the boards. Your right when you say some people live for now. And why not? You might not be around tomorrow. Some people have other interests besides just collecting firearms. I hope I dont get flamed for this, its just my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 6:19:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I'd better head over to the equipment exchange!
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have had a couple of electronics up for trade on the equipment exchange. Alot of people inquire about these type of items and I have met alot of cool people here from the boards. Your right when you say some people live for now. And why not? You might not be around tomorrow. Some people have other interests besides just collecting firearms. I hope I dont get flamed for this, its just my opinion.
View Quote

The people who lived in the NOW are now being supported by US.   I just love paying taxes so other people who didn't have the sense to save for reirement can live.  Arrrrg, we are getting off the topic.  [:D]

Link Posted: 9/19/2001 12:45:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The people who lived in the NOW are now being supported by US.   I just love paying taxes so other people who didn't have the sense to save for reirement can live.  Arrrrg, we are getting off the topic.  [:D]
View Quote

7, if you are talking about Social Security, please blame the politicians who regularly borrow from what is supposed to be a trust fund, in order to finance their "Great Society"-type and other sugar-daddy programs.

The people receiving SS benefits now all were required to pay the same type of taxes that you are paying now, for a mimimum number of quarters over their working lives, or their spouses did.

Personal savings and investments are not the issue if you are talking about their receiving benefits from a government program that you and they are/were reuquired to pay taxes for.  If they paid their mandated taxes for the program, why should they not receive the benefits, as you will when it is your turn?

If you are talking about some other program, please be more specific.  I hope you are not just parroting something you hear from some slackers who spend their time bitching about generations who sacrificed a lot for the good life younger people have now, compared to the standard of living eked out by people in other countries cranking out Nikes, Dockers and fancy home & personal electronics.

[red][size=4]PRK[/red][/size=4]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 1:05:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Works for me, I am A+ Certified and have been building Computers for years. I build a nice computer for a few hundred dollars and trade it for a Pre-Ban AR and voila one hell of a deal. I'll have to head over and see if my services can get me some Pre-Bans.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 3:21:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Prk, yes I was talking about The Social Security Act of 1935.  I know that everyone since that time has paid SS.  I was just saying how much I love to pay it so other people can collect.  [rolleyes]

If people would take charge of thier lives and plan for a future, we wouldn't have to have this crap ACT.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top