Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2001 8:03:17 PM EDT
Wisconsin's first ever dove season may never happen.  See [url]http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/aug01/dove29082801.asp[/url] for more information.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Now all those hunters who bought licenses should file suit against the "Wisconsin Citizens Concerned for Cranes and Doves".
What bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Seems to me that ACTIVIST SEASON is right around the corner...hmmm?

[heavy]

Bulldog Out
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 5:38:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Activist Season runs concurrent with Tourist Season, right?
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 5:54:13 AM EDT
[#4]
"The judge in this case set wildlife management in Wisconsin back 100 years," said James Weix of East Troy, head of Wisconsin Dove Hunters. "A hundred years ago, [green]we managed natural resources by public opinion.[/green] When we did that, we wiped out the wolf, exterminated the passenger pigeon and cut down all of our forests."

...public opinion, is there anything worse? yes, pandering to tourists!
when i lived in alaska, then governor wally hickel openned wolf hunting for the first time in x# of years, the reason was because there weren't enough caribou for the tourists to look at! it proved unpopular immidiately when he invited the lower 48 governors to come and shoot a wolf from a helicopter...not one accepted.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:52:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Greeny Weenies really piss me off.... Who pays for all the wildlife managment? It sure as hell aint the greeny weenies.....

They are concerned about the "bird of peace" being hunted..  I can assure any greeny weenie that pieces of the bird are very tasty in a wine sauce....

Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:04:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Some of these "animal rights" activists have no problem with shooting hunters though.

You're Satan himself if you shoot a deer, but they're above reproach if they shoot at someone trying to put some decent quality meat on the table..

Yeah, I bet they're really happy seeing deer in the ditches, after they get whacked by a car.. "Natural" death and all..

You want some fun? Talk to one.. Some of the more radical ones think that this planet would be better off if people just vanished..(So why was this unwashed flea ridden cretin breathing MY oxygen? Lots of high cliffs about.. he should set an example!)

Meplat

Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:11:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Some of these "animal rights" activists have no problem with shooting hunters though.

You want some fun? Talk to one.. Some of the more radical ones think that this planet would be better off if people just vanished..(So why was this unwashed flea ridden cretin breathing MY oxygen? Lots of high cliffs about.. he should set an example!)
View Quote

You've answered your own question there.  They want to take out as many of the "unenlightened" as they can before they do their part to save the world.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Bummer. Our season starts Saturday and I have a big sunflower field all ready for those tasty grey aerial acrobats, not to mention my sexy camo Benelli SBE and a bucket of Remington Shur-Shot dove loads. I can't wait!!!! [:D]

Hunters are an apathetic bunch. [pissed] Why? We way outnumber the antis, but BOHICA seems to be the common motto. Present compant excluded, of course. Y'all need to get ACTIVE and march on the governor by the thousands! In full camo! With you wives and kids! "WHAT DO WE WANT! WHEN DO WE WANT IT! NOW!!!"
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:17:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Living up here in God's Country, let me tell you there are tons of Mourning Doves every-freakin-where!

I've got twenty nesting in the trees and bushes next to my patio door right now.  All day nothing put "cooooo...cooooo".  Sometimes they make so much noise I run outside and throw rocks into the tree and they come out in an explosion.  When my brother's Brit Spaniel gets out of the car it locks onto the bushes like a cruise missile all freaked out.

These people, this judge,  don't care about doves - don't believe that for a second - THIS IS AN ATTACK ON HUNTING - pure and simple.

(and for those wondering why I don't just go outside and hose down the trees with some #12 out of the Vang Comp, well, I think the rest of my neighbors in my condo might get a wee bit irritated with me)[shotgun]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Back in April 27,000 people atttended the the State-wide DNR dove hunting public forums.  The ratio was 10 hunters for every bra-less vegan.

When it was put up to a public vote - whacking doves was approved by a 3 to 1 margin.  I was never more proud of my fellow 'sconsinites.

This latest effort is just pure subversion of our State's culture and heritage.  Where's the damn John Birch Society when you need them?
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 8:12:34 AM EDT
[#11]
sooo now they are after the hunters too....

Link Posted: 8/29/2001 9:13:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
sooo now they are after the hunters too....

View Quote

Me wonders when the hunting crowd will open its eyes and mind and realize ALL gun owners are targeted by the libs.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 9:45:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I was listening to the radio on the way to work this morning and heard one of the PETA activists say something to the effect of,

(in a listhpy voice)
"I don't know why people want to hunt these poor birds.  After you shoot them, they're nothing but lead and feathers.  There's no meat on them at all.  It disgusts me!"

All I could do was laugh.  Then the interviewer said something to the effect of,

"Most people who hunt doves aren't going to hear about the judges ruling.  They'll all be out hunting this weekend anyway.  The game wardens will be busy for the next few days."

Again, all I could do was laugh.  This whole deal is a big ass joke to me.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 9:55:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Hunters should just ignore the judge's ruling and proceed with the hunt.  If you are "caught" simply refer to the DNR booklet setting the Dove season for Dec. 1 and state you did not hear anything to the contrary.  They can't do anything to you except tell you to stop.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Any one else besides me have a fancy for whooping crane, spotted owl, and my personal favorite stuffed bald eagle......mmmmmm yummmmmy!!
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 10:23:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Good God man!  You are talking about the symbol of America here!  Do you want to bring down the wrath of AR15.commers, and force SGB to post his eagle picture?

[:O]

Link Posted: 8/29/2001 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I know Judge Moeser and think he's probably one of the best judges in Dane County.  He is known for being frank when he thinks the legislature has screwed something up, either by inaction (which appears to be the case here, though I admit I haven't read the briefs and studied the law) or enacting a new law for PR only with no thought on the practical application of that law in circuit courts.  When he concludes that an issue in a case is one that is best decided by the legislature, not a circuit court judge, he throws the blame where it should rightly be.  In this respect, he acts with a great deal of judicial restraint.

"The Legislature is presumed to know what it is doing, and the removal of mourning doves is evidence that the Legislature did not intend to have mourning doves included in the classification of birds for which the DNR could establish a hunting season," the judge wrote.
View Quote

Keep in mind that this is only a temporary ruling until the court can hold an evidentiary hearing.  At that time, hopefully the WI DOJ will present evidence as to why the legislature's failure to block the DNR's Natural Resources Board vote on the hunt indicates their intent to allow it.  Remember that courts can (or should) only consider evidence presented on the record.  Sometimes extremely relevant evidence is not able to be fully presented by a party until an evidentiary hearing is held.

The DNR argued that the Legislature's failure to block the dove hunt translated into legislative intent to establish a dove hunting season. But Moeser was reluctant to read too much into the Legislature's inaction.

"That is a leap this court is not prepared to take," he wrote. "There are numerous reasons why a Legislature may choose not to act, and there is no way for this court on the record before it to divine why the Legislature took no action."
View Quote

I certainly do not agree with the "Wisconsin Citizens Concerned for Cranes and Doves" and their agenda.  I am not a hunter, though I  support hunting rights.  I don't have any problem with people on this forum going after the group filing this suit, but don't go after the judge based on this preliminary ruling.  Read between the lines and the judge is telling the legislature to get their collective heads out of their arshes and make sure the law is internally consistent.  I always thought courts that exercised a lot of judicial activism were in the hot seat around here....  Don't jump the gun here when a judge is exercising judicial restraint and telling the legistlature to clean up its own mess.

If you would like to follow this case, it is case number 01CV001616.  Here is a link to the Wisconsin Circuit Court Access Program (CCAP):
[url]http://ccap.courts.state.wi.us/[/url]

EDITED for form.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
"The judge in this case set wildlife management in Wisconsin back 100 years," said James Weix of East Troy, head of Wisconsin Dove Hunters. "A hundred years ago, [green]we managed natural resources by public opinion.[/green] When we did that, we wiped out the wolf, exterminated the passenger pigeon and cut down all of our forests."
View Quote

Y'all voted for a *democracy* and this is what you get: mob rule. Woo hoo!
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 11:39:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#20]
What a load of crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top