Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/22/2008 9:25:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2008 9:27:37 AM EDT by callgood]
I had planned to use a wireless router to get a cable modem signal to my computer. Until I get within 30' the signal's a POS. This means I have to leave our bedroom door open to send the signal down a hall, leaving my stuff open to attack from the wife's mutt.

So I'm going to run coax over the the computer. Even 'tho I'm ditching the wireless is there any advantage to using the router with the cable modem and connecting the router and computer via ethernet? (I'm assuming this will work, haven't tried it).

The router has WEP on it, but I don't know if that applies thru the ethernet connection. Is it protecting traffic thru the cable modem and router to the computer via the ethernet connectin, or just the wireless portion?

I use AVAST and Zonelabs and have never had a virus/malware, etc. problem. If the router firewall isn't contributing any protection, I'd just uninstall the wireless PCI card and save the overhead.

Thanks, if nothing else this whole deal has had educational value and goosed the local economy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:10:08 AM EDT
Having a hardware and software firewall can be better than just one of either.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:17:27 AM EDT
what kind of router is it?

Hardware NAT/Firewall like most home routers provide is better than software alone...

just disable the wireless in the router and use it wired only...

WEP & WPA are wireless encryption protocols they do nothing for the wired connection...

[cable modem] ----cat5/6---- [router] ----cat5/6---- [PC]

get rid of the wireless...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:42:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2008 12:43:51 PM EDT by callgood]

Originally Posted By hellbound:

Hardware NAT/Firewall like most home routers provide is better than software alone...

WEP & WPA are wireless encryption protocols they do nothing for the wired connection...

It's a NETGEAR.

If the WEP/WPA is for the wireless transmission only, what is the benefit of keeping the router in the scheme? I thought the encryption WAS the firewall. (Not a networking guy, just know enough to follow instructions and set it up).
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:36:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By callgood:

Originally Posted By hellbound:

It's a NETGEAR.

If the WEP/WPA is for the wireless transmission only, what is the benefit of keeping the router in the scheme? I thought the encryption WAS the firewall. (Not a networking guy, just know enough to follow instructions and set it up).

No, the encryption is just to secure the wireless stuff. You don't need to encrypt the 'cables' cause people can't intercept the data that is traveling on the cables. Think of the foot ball games: They all use cabled headsets, right? That's cause the other teams can't 'sniff' the cabled transmissions unless they are physically plugged into that network. Same with your home router.

As far as the firewall, the router has a basic firewall built in, with most ports already blocked off. You might want to go in and check it out, but it should already be adequete. If you're really worried, then a software firewall can be useful, but I find them to more of an annoyance to the end user than any real defense against series hackers and/or viruses/trojans...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:54:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ARinKCMO:
No, the encryption is just to secure the wireless stuff. You don't need to encrypt the 'cables' cause people can't intercept the data that is traveling on the cables. Think of the foot ball games: They all use cabled headsets, right? That's cause the other teams can't 'sniff' the cabled transmissions unless they are physically plugged into that network. Same with your home router.

As far as the firewall, the router has a basic firewall built in, with most ports already blocked off. You might want to go in and check it out, but it should already be adequete. If you're really worried, then a software firewall can be useful, but I find them to more of an annoyance to the end user than any real defense against series hackers and/or viruses/trojans...

That's what I was after. Thanks. Yeah, the Zonelab/AVAST download every day is a PITA, but I just regard it as the price to pay. And they load a lot faster versus dialup! Every time I turn off Zonelab, XP starts screaming at me. I guess you could turn the warning off somehow, but it's no big deal. I'll try it with the router for awhile. I guess I should get some use out of it for what I paid!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:15:11 PM EDT
The router also does NAT (network address translation) which means the addresses you use on your internal network cannot be seen from the internet side.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:13:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2008 7:15:28 PM EDT by FredMan]

Originally Posted By Moondog:
The router also does NAT (network address translation) which means the addresses you use on your internal network cannot be seen from the internet side.

Which is a very valuable feature.

In my home, we have two laptops running wireless and one desktop wired into the wireless router. Linksys WRT54G. The router handles the hardware firewall and the laptops use a combination of WEP and zonealarm.

ETA: If you don't need wireless then get a non-wireless router (not a switch or hub). That way you'll get the benefit of NAT. I'd never have a naked computer on a "always on" net connection.
Top Top