Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2005 8:56:23 AM EDT
Is it true that a Linsys wireless setup is really safe because it acts as a IP address instead of the computer? (Something I was told)

Anyway what is a good setup?
I have smoking fast cable IP here already...

Thanks,
T
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:00:40 AM EDT
[#1]
It acts as a firewall.. Nothing is absolutely safe! But is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:01:37 AM EDT
[#2]
What are you trying to do? I have Linksys wireless at home. It is a DHCP sever, 4 port hub, wireless router, and firewall. It serves me well. Most of the other name brand stuff is good too.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:04:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Having something between your cable modem and computer is a good idea.  Particularly a router with a built in firewall.  Otherwise, you should absofuckinglutely run a software firewall on your computer, or you're asking for a shitstorm on your computer.

Regardless, you should ALWAYS, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS...  run antivirus software. Keep it updated, and run a scan every couple weeks.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is it true that a Linsys wireless setup is really safe because it acts as a IP address instead of the computer? (Something I was told)

Anyway what is a good setup?
I have smoking fast cable IP here already...

Thanks,
T

A linksys is a NAT router - it doesnt act as an IP address - it receives the IP address from your ISP (cable) and then your machines get "fake" IP's... incoming attacks are dropped at the Linksys.  Yes, it does provide MUCH more security than not having one.  It is no guarantee of security - as you can still get trojans, spyware, malware, etc...

Wireless or not has no bearing really on internet based traffic - to the firewall, you are treated the same.  The only wireless issue is your neighbors using your internet, or attacking your PC's, IF you dont take some simple steps to secure it.  The chance of having neighbors in range of your wireless, and them having the knowledge, ability, and desire to hack your shit, is very, very small.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:05:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What are you trying to do? I have Linksys wireless at home. It is a DHCP sever, 4 port hub, wireless router, and firewall. It serves me well. Most of the other name brand stuff is good too.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

I'm trying to set-up wireless for my laptop and when friends come over then can access the web from their own laptops too.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Having something between your cable modem and computer is a good idea.  Particularly a router with a built in firewall.  Otherwise, you should absofuckinglutely run a software firewall on your computer, or you're asking for a shitstorm on your computer.

Regardless, you should ALWAYS, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS...  run antivirus software. Keep it updated, and run a scan every couple weeks.  

I hear ya...
Firefox, Adware, Spybot...

You guys' taught me that!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#7]
YAY... you get a firewall, but that inhibits the use of many programs. So, in some ways it's

counter-intuitive. Better than the firewall is the ability for the Linksys system to encrypt the data.

Linsksys is a sound setup; I have a Linksys wireless router with B/G capabilities. -

Kool-Aid (LCA ts1337)
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:24:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
YAY... you get a firewall, but that inhibits the use of many programs.

Uhhhh, no it doesnt.  Hardly any at all.  A linksys hardware firewall is different than a software firewall - but default everything is open outbound and everything is closed inbound.  I have found very, very few internet applications that didnt work out of the box with the linksys in default config.  And if something didnt work (like file sharing or a game) there is a lot of info on how to open that in the firewall config.

So, in some ways it's counter-intuitive. Better than the firewall is the ability for the Linksys system to encrypt the data.

Uhh... thats just wrong.  The data encryption of the wireless gives you ZERO protection on the internet, and from internet attacks.  Wireless encryption just keeps your *local* data transmissions secure, and keeps neighbors from *easily* getting on your connection.  WEP encryption is better than nothing, but weak.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I have had experience with three different Linksys wireless networks. All had problems.

I have had experience with five different Netgear wireless networks. All were flawless.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
YAY... you get a firewall, but that inhibits the use of many programs. So, in some ways it's

counter-intuitive.

Only if you don't know how to setup a firewall.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:

I'm trying to set-up wireless for my laptop and when friends come over then can access the web from their own laptops too.

Buy a name brand, keep the receipt, follow the directions, it should/could be that easy. If you have problems, return it and try a different brand name system. It really has gotten that easy.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#12]
If you get linksys, and get a WRT54G version 5, MAKE SURE THE FIRMWARE IS AT LEAST 1.00.4

The version 5 routers are notoriously evil with the default firmware and all revisions up to .4.  They seem to be great with that firmware revision though.

The previous versions of the routers arent as finicky with the firmware.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you get linksys, and get a WRT54G version 5, MAKE SURE THE FIRMWARE IS AT LEAST 1.00.4

The version 5 routers are notoriously evil with the default firmware and all revisions up to .4.  They seem to be great with that firmware revision though.

Right. So get a Netgear instead.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm not sure if it concerns you or not, but people will still be able to access your internet.
Maybe it's just me, but for paying $50 a month for shitty DSL, I want all the speed I can get out of it.

But, if your cable is good enough, you probably don't care.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm not sure if it concerns you or not, but people will still be able to access your internet.

Uhhh... only those:

1.  In range - which doesnt go far for a reliable connection.
2.  Have the ability to hack your WEP and MAC address filters.
3.  The motivation to need to steel someone's internet access.

The odd's of having #1 and #2 together are very, very slim.  Bandwidth theives typically go for the lowest hanging fruit - i.e. those that do not take the simplest steps built in to protect their wireless.  A lot of the wireless insecurity hoopla is sensationalism.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:49:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Even with firmware issues -

Linsys > Netgear, D-Link, SMC

Netgears dont work with the way we do PPPoE at my company.  Netgear = teh suck.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Even with firmware issues -

Linsys > Netgear, D-Link, SMC

Netgears dont work with the way we do PPPoE at my company.  Netgear = teh suck.

Agreed  

I would buy linksys over netgear anyday.  

the advanced rules of the older netgear equipment was ridiculous.  you couldn't call tech support becauase they didn't know how to do it.  they told you to read the manual.   reset button on netgear.   HA  there wasn't one you had you hook up a frinkin' serial cable to reset the stupid router using telnet commands.   I installed a netgear on a couple wireless networks.  All the computer had speed issues.   had a 3mb download speed it only ran 1.5  did firmware upgrades to the lates and greatest.  still no fix.    

Currently i use and sell all Linksys products.   You do need to keep up on firmware updates because they do have their flaws.  But who doesn't.

Linksys for me    JMO
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I can't stress it enough to use WEP or some kind of encryption, WPA is even better, but WEP is all you should need to keep war drivers at bay.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uhhh... only those:

1.  In range - which doesnt go far for a reliable connection.
2.  Have the ability to hack your WEP and MAC address filters.
3.  The motivation to need to steel someone's internet access.

The odd's of having #1 and #2 together are very, very slim.  Bandwidth theives typically go for the lowest hanging fruit - i.e. those that do not take the simplest steps built in to protect their wireless.  A lot of the wireless insecurity hoopla is sensationalism.

True, but if there is no WEP/WPA, etc.. going on, it makes it that much easier.
1) You'd be surprised at how many people have laptops around you, especially with the deals PC companies have.
2) Not very hard to do. I could give you a website off the top of my head on how to do it, and the tools to do it. (I have a BS in CIS, with minors in Networking, and Computer Network Security, and I'm working on my MS in IA (Information Assurance).
There was no mention of security in the initial post, that why I brought it up.

*Security/Hacking Prevention classes are fun  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top