Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2002 5:41:46 PM EDT
Time to put in an alarm.  I'm leaning towards wireless.  Anyone have any input, or resources, web sites, etc, like AR15.com for alarms?  
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 9:14:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a security system buyer's guide:
[url]http://www.secdealer.com/buyersguide/index.cfm[/url]

I'm more of a wired man myself. Wireless is OK for pinch locations where stringing wire is difficult, but wired is less conspicuous and generally more reliable.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 9:55:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I paid a small fortune for an ATT wireless system about 8 years ago and had endless false alarm and other problems with it.  Many were due to loss of the link with the control panel, which made the control system think the sensor had been tampered with, which initiated the alarm.

I don't know what improvements have been made since that time but I've gone for hard wired ever since.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 4:20:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I do not feel confident that I could wire up my house, and I have heard enough horror stories about installers coming back later to make me wary.  

I'm leaning towards a non-monitored system.  The police are not going to get there quick enough to catch the BG's or stop them from whatever they are doing.  I just want to be alerted if I am home that entry is being attempted, and something to make some noise for 5 minutes if someone trys to get in while I'm away.  

I don't want to invest thousands in the state of the art, or have a monthly drain for monitoring/servicing, etc.  

This will be one part of my overall setup, including lights, locks, etc..  
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 5:17:06 AM EDT
[#4]
[url]http://www.basshome.com[/url]
These folks have been very helpful.  Haven't purchased yet, but they will give you very specific details about everything you need to purchase if you just let them know what you are trying to do.

Hope that helps,
Craig
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 7:41:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 3:58:04 PM EDT
[#6]
IMHO Don't do a wireless - even though they're vastly better than yesterday's, still a lot of false alarms from lightning storms.

Install it yourself.  Go to Home Depot - spend $20 for a 4' long drill bit designed to drill UP through door and window threholds into the attic - the bits also have a mechanism to pull the wire up (or down) with the same bit.

Less than a day - no false alarms.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 6:29:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Two story house, emphasis on 1st floor, 4 inch bit not going to make it to the attic.

Smarthome looks interesting.  I need to check it out further.  

Any more resources?
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Todays wireless is far better then years past.
Buy a quality system; ITI, Admeco or Napco. Stay away from any thing that is cheap like First Alert, they look like Admeco systems, but they are made from low quality parts.

Let me know what type of coverage you are looking for and I will point you in the right direction. I am a stocking ITI dealer, so if you need anything email me.

I also live in Iowa, and me or my customers have never had a false alarm caused by lightning. 99% of false alarms are caused by either a poor install or operator error.

The Wireless is the way to go for an existing building. If you need any info feel free to email me.

TAC

Link Posted: 2/26/2002 2:19:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Two story house, emphasis on 1st floor, 4 inch bit not going to make it to the attic.

Smarthome looks interesting.  I need to check it out further.  

Any more resources?
View Quote

one ' is feet.......
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh, O.K., in that case it will reach right up from the first floor into the F'ing attic ...
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Go hard wire with lots of noise and lights, and a good montering Co. The more noise and lights you have, the quicker the punks will leave, the LEO's  will then follow up .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top